• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels announce Perry Minasian as their next general manager

rafibomb

40 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

For me that's kind of what I wanted for a GM I wanted someone who came from a lower budget team who's done well. Like how Friedman went from TB to LA. I don't think big budget teams is necessarily the way to win in today's baseball. It's about building a team from within and not just buying the older free agent the Pujols, Hamilton, Upton's (yes I know he wasn't a free agent) of the world. I've said it numerous times that I wouldn't sign anyone to contracts past when they are 34 or 35 and that's typically what you have to do with these big time free agents. I am excited to see what "the Minasian" can do for this club and help build a sustainable winner again. 

Yeah, exactly this.  I have seen various people say this is like Eppler all over again, but Eppler went from one of the top 2 spending teams in the sports (and that's not just payroll - it includes FO budget, scouting budget, etc etc) to the Angels.  The Angels certainly spend a good amount, but they aren't the Yankees, so Eppler likely had to learn to get by with less resources than he was used to.

Minasian, on the other hand, is coming from two organizations who have spent less than the Angels.  He's used to having to be creative and help scout and find talent to help build teams.  He'll likely have access to more resources to use here, and hopefully, Arte invests more in the FO and provides Minasian with the tools he needs to succeed.  

Over the upcoming weeks, asides from obvious decisions on the roster, I look forward to seeing some of the people he starts to bring into the fold for our FO.

One thing I will be watching for is some indication of a boost to international amateur focus by the middle of next year.  Excluding Ohtani (and he was a special case), the Angels have not done well in competing for latin talent in the Dipoto, Eppler eras.

Dipoto gave us Suarez, Barria, Jose Rodriguez and...wait for it...Roberto Baldoqiun.  A bit underwhelming.

Ex-Ohtani, Eppler gave us....<crickets>...not much yet.  We're still waiting on guys like Knowles, Vera.  But I don't see anything elite on the way.

Good teams are getting impact players through international amateur signings.  We need to be in there getting some of that elite talent.  The international draft *may* be coming for 2023, but there are going to be impact players out there for the taking before then.

51 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

One thing I will be watching for is some indication of a boost to international amateur focus by the middle of next year.  Excluding Ohtani (and he was a special case), the Angels have not done well in competing for latin talent in the Dipoto, Eppler eras.

Dipoto gave us Suarez, Barria, Jose Rodriguez and...wait for it...Roberto Baldoqiun.  A bit underwhelming.

Ex-Ohtani, Eppler gave us....<crickets>...not much yet.  We're still waiting on guys like Knowles, Vera.  But I don't see anything elite on the way.

Good teams are getting impact players through international amateur signings.  We need to be in there getting some of that elite talent.  The international draft *may* be coming for 2023, but there are going to be impact players out there for the taking before then.

you shouldn't comment on stuff you don't really know about.  

intl prospect are usually signed at age 16 which means it takes 6+ years for them to reach AAA.  They got Vera (9) and Placentia (top 30) from the last class.   That's like two first round picks.  Add Jose Bonilla to that plus another 20 youngsters that we haven't even hardly seen yet.  That's 3 in our top 30 prospects just from last year.  Plus Knowles, Yan, Alexander Ramirez, Deveaux, Robinson Pina, Livan Soto, Orlando Martinez, Kevin Maitan, and Stiward Aquino. 

So 12 of our top 30 are international plus Ohtani.  

The intl signing period for 2020 got moved to Jan of 2021.  They used most of their allotment in one year for Shohei and most of the rest on Soto and Maitan.  So Eppler basically had 2 years worth of intl money to spend while he was here.  

Good teams are getting impact players in the international market.  The ones you're seeing impact the major league clubs currently were acquired 5+ years ago and a bunch of those guys could be headed to the HOF if their trajectory stays.  Acuna was signed in 2014 and didn't become an elite prospect until 2018.  Juan Soto, who is an absolute freak, signed in 2015 and also didn't become a really good prospect until 2018.  

You need to understand the normal trajectory for most of these international guys that sign at the age of 16.  

Also, you need to realize that the rules changes several years back so a bunch of the elite players who are in their mid to late 20's at the major league level from those intl signings were acquired under much different terms.  

Frankly, you shouldn't expect anything from that market for at least 3 years.  Jose Ramirez was signed 11 years ago.  Almost 12.  And he was never even in the top 100.  

So saying that the intl group that we've signed over the last 2-3 hasn't done anything (with no minor league season this year) is just absurd.  

45 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Eppler was locked out of international signings because of Dipoto's gross overpay for Baldoquin. 

And pretty much everyone Eppler did sign was 16 at the time and unlikely to be seen stateside for two years at best.   Eppler also never had a chance to run the table in the international market, the rules were changed and the spending limits were put in after the Baldoquin signing class.  

It's also worth noting that despite being locked out of signing anyone for more than 250k until 2018, the Angels still manage to spend their entire international signing pool every season under Eppler.  When its all said and done, the top international signings finally made when free of the Baldoquin restrictions would have been 18 years old this season..

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

intl prospect are usually signed at age 16 which means it takes 6+ years for them to reach AAA.  They got Vera (9) and Placentia (top 30) from the last class.   That's like two first round picks.  Add Jose Bonilla to that plus another 20 youngsters that we haven't even hardly seen yet.  That's 3 in our top 30 prospects just from last year.  Plus Knowles, Yan, Alexander Ramirez, Deveaux, Robinson Pina, Livan Soto, Orlando Martinez, Kevin Maitan, and Stiward Aquino. 

The intl signing period for 2020 got moved to Jan of 2021.  They used most of their allotment in one year for Shohei and most of the rest on Soto and Maitan.  So Eppler basically had 2 years worth of intl money to spend while he was here.  

Good teams are getting impact players in the international market.  The ones you're seeing impact the major league clubs currently were acquired 5+ years ago and a bunch of those guys could be headed to the HOF if their trajectory stays.  Acuna was signed in 2014 and didn't become an elite prospect until 2018.  Juan Soto, who is an absolute freak, signed in 2015 and also didn't become a really good prospect until 2018.  

You need to understand the normal trajectory for most of these international guys that sign at the age of 16.  

Also, you need to realize that the rules changes several years back so a bunch of the elite players who are in their mid to late 20's at the major league level from those intl signings were acquired under much different terms.  

Frankly, you shouldn't expect anything from that market for at least 3 years.  Jose Ramirez was signed 11 years ago.  Almost 12.  And he was never even in the top 100.  

So saying that the intl group that we've signed over the last 2-3 hasn't done anything (with no minor league season this year) is just absurd.  

GDI.....  What he said.

21 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

bitch slap slapping GIF

18 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I call bullshit.  Syndergaard was basically never an “unknown.”  Scouts were watching this guy all through high school.  He was 6’6” and a physical beast.  So he was definitely “known.”  The fact is he suddenly added like 10 mph to his fastball and was now hitting 97/98 as a senior.  That’s when the enthusiasm for Syndergaard changed, with some really excited and some skeptical because of the sudden increase in velocity.

Anyway the point is Syndergaard was not some unknown player that Minasian identified with his unique eye for talent.  He simply agreed with the portion of scouts that believed the increase in velocity was legit and made him more projectable.

He was drafted 38th in the first round.  I give credit to Minasian for landing such a stud pitcher with that pick.  But to be fair, in that same draft he whiffed on the 11th overall pick grabbing Deck McGuire and letting Yasmani Grandal and Chris Sale go the next two picks.

For fun though, looking at this draft shows how bad the Angels did that year:

Kaleb Cowart 18th

Cam Bedrosian 29th

Chevy Clark 30th

Taylor Lindsey 37th

(All taken before Noah Syndergaard)

Edited by Dtwncbad

38 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I call bullshit.  Syndergaard was basically never an “unknown.”  Scouts were watching this guy all through high school.  He was 6’6” and a physical beast.  So he was definitely “known.”  The fact is he suddenly added like 10 mph to his fastball and was now hitting 97/98 as a senior.  That’s when the enthusiasm for Syndergaard changed, with some really excited and some skeptical because of the sudden increase in velocity.

Anyway the point is Syndergaard was not some unknown player that Minasian identified with his unique eye for talent.  He simply agreed with the portion of scouts that believed the increase in velocity was legit and made him more projectable.

He was drafted 38th in the first round.  I give credit to Minasian for landing such a stud pitcher with that pick.  But to be fair, in that same draft he whiffed on the 11th overall pick grabbing Deck McGuire and letting Yasmani Grandal and Chris Sale go the next two picks.

For fun though, looking at this draft shows how bad the Angels did that year:

Kaleb Cowart 18th

Cam Bedrosian 29th

Chevy Clark 30th

Taylor Lindsey 37th

(All taken before Noah Syndergaard)

FTR...  the Jays of that era (prior to 2012), were known to chase signable guys in the first round to try to maximize their spread of dollars in the draft.  There were many people that accused them of drafting Tyler Beede, simply because they knew he wouldn't sign (he was heading to Vanderbilt).  The early years of Rogers Communication ownership saw a lot of cheaping out and cutting of corners.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but with Baldoquin surfacing here...

...read that Minasian was a big piece in the Blue Jays’ signing Vlad Jr., in addition to his efforts in pursuing Syndergaard and Stroman.

Heck, with his family ties in baseball wouldn’t be surprised if he was involved in Bichette and Biggio too. Does sort of precede some Kean and Kolten Wong notions. 

Edited by totdprods

31 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not sure if this was posted yet, but with Baldoquin surfacing here...

...read that Minasian was a big piece in the Blue Jays’ signing Vlad Jr., in addition to his efforts in pursuing Syndergaard and Stroman.

Heck, with his family ties in baseball wouldn’t be surprised if he was involved in Bichette and Biggio too. Does sort of precede some Kean and Kolten Wong notions. 

From all indications, Minasian has been instrumental in scouting and recruiting a significant number of international players who have turned out to be good players.

His background is impressive, and we can only hope he is able to replicate the success he has had over here.

I do think it is likely the first minor moves we just made (Wong, Reed) are due to him.  He probably discussed some immediate moves he would make, and considering he said he was actually offered the job on Tuesday, it's possible that the interim acting GM (Stoneman?) initiated the process on his behalf to sign those two, vs those two being guys that the previous regime targeted.

I would anticipate some significant moves this offseason - trading of some prospects that he is not as high on as compared to Eppler, a flurry of under-the-radar type signings (like Wong/Reed), etc.

It should be a very fun offseason, at least in terms of seeing the beginning of Minasian's vision of what he wants the team to look like.  I'm excited!

11 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

I'm not an Eppler fan, but didn't he snag some of the Braves international signings that were deemed not vaild?