• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels announce Perry Minasian as their next general manager

rafibomb

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

To be fair, 100% of us said "F Dipoto" at the end of his tenure. But the hatred for Eppler is more like 50%.

Some of us started hating him with the Walden, Madsen, Burnett moves...  

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

How many draft rounds will there be in 2021?

Next step is beefing up the development part of the org.

The talk was they wanted to shorten the draft yet again in the next CBA.   Some have said to as little as 20 rounds, others say 30.   None of it will matter if they don't allow for there to be fans and minor league baseball.   

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

2011: Jerry Dipoto is the Promised One.

2015: Fuck Dipoto.

2015: Billy Eppler is the Promised One.

2020: Fuck Eppler.

2020: Perry Minasian is the Promised One.

2024?: Fuck Minasian.

You forgot the "casting a wide net" step and the "rinse and repeat"at the end.

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Now I'm very curious about who Minasian will drag along with him and if they keep Swanson and others.  

Same.

When Eppler was hired, he brought in Martone from NYY to be his AGM and promoted Strangio internally to be the other AGM. So I wonder if Minasian follows the same path where he brings in his own executive as one AGM and promotes someone internally (Andrew Ball?) to be the other AGM.

It actually seems like a decent strategy, since you have one AGM who you have been close with and one AGM who already knows the organization.

5 minutes ago, mmc said:

Interesting notes about Minasian in Rosenthal's latest article.

image.png

This does not surprise me.  I think most of us recognize that Moreno is probably difficult to work for and involves himself in baseball operations a bit too much.  That said, he does spend a good amount on this team and does want to win, and from all accounts, he is letting Minasian fill out his staff with guys he wants.  These are all key things, and hopefully, he gives Minasian full authority to build out his FO, institute the systems he wants, and make all the baseball decisions.  

If Minasian wins and the team is successful while he's GM, he's going to win over Moreno. It's as simple as that. Even though that foundation was built by other GM's before him, Arte will give him the credit for that.

I'm sure his people skills will help, and it's good to hear that he is so highly thought of, but it's really going to come down to the success of the team in Arte's mind.

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If Minasian wins and the team is successful while he's GM, he's going to win over Moreno. It's as simple as that. Even though that foundation was built by other GM's before him, Arte will give him the credit for that.

I'm sure his people skills will help, and it's good to hear that he is so highly thought of, but it's really going to come down to the success of the team in Arte's mind.

regardless of what Billy built, the key component of this team winning over the next couple of years is who Minasian and his team bring in to fill the talent gaps at the major league level.  

41 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

regardless of what Billy built, the key component of this team winning over the next couple of years is who Minasian and his team bring in to fill the talent gaps at the major league level.  

Yep, agreed.

Minasian definitely has inherited a better position than Billy did - the minor league system is in much better shape, the albatross contracts (Pujols, Upton) are coming to an end, and the franchise player is secured for the rest of his career.

But that said, there is still a lot of work to be done to improve our pitching (or "run prevention"), and a lot more improvement that can be done in the minors.  Minasian will have a much bigger budget to work with here than his team did in Atlanta, but in terms of "available cash," it won't be too much (~25-30mil?), so it'll be up to him and his team to be creative in terms of helping improve this team.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm excited until he makes a move I don't like, then he should be fired.

I'm excited until he makes a move that makes a lot of sense at the time, but for reasons beyond his control, the move doesn't work out. Then he should be fired for not being omniscient.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Maybe Andrew Ball. I think he was the highest ranking baseball ops person left after Strangio-Martone left. 

They also had the whole month of October to put together lists of minor league FAs they wanted before Strangio-Martone left. 

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm excited until he makes a move I don't like, then he should be fired.

Well I’ll be here