• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels announce Perry Minasian as their next general manager

rafibomb

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I thought they were all very good signings....but none has really taken off yet....with no minor league season, really hard to know about where they are....

For a farm as thin as ours has been, really any signing is a good signing, almost regardless of of the outcome. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man the more I read on our new GM the more excited I get. 

I really love the trajectory of his career path. Seems like a bright man with some deep roots into the game. 

Yep, agreed.  The Blue Jays and Braves both had rather strong scouting departments, and he was essentially #2 in command behind Anthropolous in ATL for 3 years.  Anthropolous is a fantastic PBO, so we can only hope that Minasian will bring the knowledge he has learned from Anthropolous to this team.

I would like to see him hire AGMs from other teams (i.e. not ATL), though - guys who come from different systems and can probably provide him with a different perspective than he is used to.  Maybe poach a guy from TB/LAD/OAK, and then another guy from, say, MIN or CLE.  Would seem to be a good idea to have AGMs that come from other great organizations, so that he can surround himself with super knowledgeable AGMs who will likely come with somewhat different perspectives and viewpoints.

12 minutes ago, cvdog said:

Can we please start developing pitchers in our farm system once again? His #1 job is obviously beefing up our pitching staff.

Yes. 

I believe Chris Rodriguez, Reid Detmers, Jack Kochanowicz, and Hector Yan will be dynamic for the Halos!

Jose Soriano after he recovers from TJ surgery is right there too.

42 minutes ago, cvdog said:

Can we please start developing pitchers in our farm system once again? His #1 job is obviously beefing up our pitching staff.

Yes. Taylor Ward in 2015 and Matt Thaiss in 2016 could have been Mike Soroka and Dakota Hudson. Even if they failed, would they have failed worse than they did with Ward and Thaiss? If you need pitching then maybe draft pitching in the first round, not catchers!!

That was ridiculous behavior for an MLB club!!

3 minutes ago, Yes We Can said:

Yes. Taylor Ward in 2015 and Matt Thaiss in 2016 could have been Mike Soroka and Dakota Hudson. Even if they failed would they fail worse than Ward and Thaiss? If you need pitching then draft pitching in the first round, not catchers!!

Ward was absolutely a dumb pick, I'll give you that. It was Dipoto's farting gift, if you will.

But there are so many different layers to drafting that you can't oversimplify it like this. Drafting to need is often very shortsighted. The MLB roster needs pitching NOW, but the player you draft isn't going to help NOW. Or in a year, even. Hell if you're getting a HS pitcher it could easily take 5 years before they get a cup of coffee.

And I mean, hindsight, 20/20, yada yada. Dakota Hudson was drafted in the 36th round. You know how many picks went before him?

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Ward was absolutely a dumb pick, I'll give you that. It was Dipoto's farting gift, if you will.

But there are so many different layers to drafting that you can't oversimplify it like this. Drafting to need is often very shortsighted. The MLB roster needs pitching NOW, but the player you draft isn't going to help NOW. Or in a year, even. Hell if you're getting a HS pitcher it could easily take 5 years before they get a cup of coffee.

And I mean, hindsight, 20/20, yada yada. Dakota Hudson was drafted in the 36th round. You know how many picks went before him?

A lot of posts like his lack context.  Hindsight is a pretty nifty tool.  I wonder why Dipoto and Eppler didn’t use it during the draft.  

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

the draft retrospectoscope is one of my favorite tools we see used on AW.  

What I expect Minasian to do is to draft and develop talent first and foremost.  As @tdawg87 mentioned though, he can't just draft to need.  This isn't the NFL, where guys you draft can start playing with the team on day 1.  It'll take anywhere from 2-5 years for the talent you draft to reach the majors, and in truth, I want to see us stop rushing prospects, and rather, give them the necessary time to develop properly, so that when they reach the MLB, they're ready to perform and succeed, a la what you see when the Dodgers promote players.

Minasian comes from a great system that is known to do that (Braves, and the Blue Jays before).  He's known to have an eye for talent, but the biggest impact he can make is to create a strong player development system.  You can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't develop them properly, then it doesn't matter.  Eppler did some solid work when it came to rebuilding our farm system, but I can't help but feel like we were somewhat lacking when it came to our player development system under Eppler.  Perhaps part of that is Arte, in the sense that maybe. he didn't invest in the necessary infrastructure as much to help achieve that outcome, although it's hard to say whether that's true or not.

So, essentially, I hope Minasian is able to do two things:

1.  Use some free agency money to shore up the pitching immediately, which is our greatest weakness

2.  Utilizes his scouting and player development personnel to create a player development system process that helps our minor leaguers perform well and develop properly.  This includes access to the best nutrition (sounds dumb, but I've read how vastly different minor leaguers are treated from one team to another), best technology, best personnel resources, etc.

It will take some time for Minasian to strength the farm system, but I have high hopes that he will do it.

7 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

What? Yes we all know. 33 picks went before him.

Dakota Hudson was drafted in the 1st round not in the 36th round??

The point is this team could have prioritized SP in the draft. They did not. And even if they whiffed with a college pitcher the chances are they would not have whiffed any worse than selecting Ward and Thaiss in the first round.

10 minutes ago, Yes We Can said:

What? Yes we all know. 33 picks went before him.

Dakota Hudson was drafted in the first round -  after Matt Thaiss at #16.

The point is this team could have prioritized SP in the draft. They did not. And even if they whiffed with a college pitcher the chances are they would not have whiffed any worse the selecting Ward and Thaiss in the first round.

This is just false.  There are literally dozens of pitchers drafted in the first round that never make it to the majors. Those are worse whiffs. 

Just now, Yes We Can said:

So draft college catchers in the first round because there is a chance a college pitcher may fail.

Got it. Good plan.

No but to pretend drafting a pitcher that fails is better than drafting players that play in the big leagues is just incredibly stupid. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

No but to pretend drafting a pitcher that fails is better than drafting players that play in the big leagues is just incredibly stupid. 

I don't think any teams draft players in the first round they expect to fail. To think this and to post it is "incredibly stupid".

17 minutes ago, Yes We Can said:

I don't think any teams draft players in the first round they expect to fail. To think this and to post it is "incredibly stupid".

Says the guy that says if the Angels drafted college pitchers and whiffed it wouldn’t be as bad as drafting Ward and Thaiss.  

12 minutes ago, Yes We Can said:

So the Angels shouldn't draft a player because they may fail? Got it. Another great plan.

I wouldn’t have drafted Taylor Ward, but he certainly seemed to pull it together this year.  I know what Dipoto saw in him, but it never translated.  If he would have drafted a pitcher they may or may not have panned out.  Go back and look at pitchers projected to go 25-35th in the draft and let me know who was still available and how they have done.  Add some context for a change.  

3 minutes ago, Yes We Can said:

I don't understand why some people are against the draft strategy the team employed in 2020. I think if they had used the same strategy for the last 6 years the team may be in a better place.

Who’s against it?  What was there draft strategy?