• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels announce Perry Minasian as their next general manager

rafibomb

If I were to write a script for the new GM, it would include....

- Casually mentioning how awesome Trout is.

- Thanking Arte Moreno.

- Expressing my thrill with having Joe Maddon as manager.

- Talking about the need for balance between scouting and analytics.

- Thank the previous regimes for setting him up for success.

- Talk about the need for pitching.

- Mention Shohei Ohtani being unique and need to get him healthy.

So currently, Minasian is hitting on every single obvious thing anyone could possibly say about the Angels.

Only a few thoughts on this.  He sounds like one of the better possibilities among the ones out there.  The interwebs knowers seem to think it’s a good hire.  For whatever  that’s worth.  

Glad to see the Armenian community finish the week with at least one W.    

Looks like a W for the fat community as well.  

alright Perry.  Do something now.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

If I were to write a script for the new GM, it would include....

- Casually mentioning how awesome Trout is.

- Thanking Arte Moreno.

- Expressing my thrill with having Joe Maddon as manager.

- Talking about the need for balance between scouting and analytics.

- Thank the previous regimes for setting him up for success.

- Talk about the need for pitching.

- Mention Shohei Ohtani being unique and need to get him healthy.

So currently, Minasian is hitting on every single obvious thing anyone could possibly say about the Angels.

You left out looking forward to having an INO burger. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

he also mentioned the idea of having a home grown pitching. So that's something to keep an eye on. 

meh not really in my opinion.

Lodge asked him if he valued in-house pitching and he responded of of course that's a priority but we'll also look to add from outside organization. He can't really say "we have no pitching prospects worth anything so no homegrown pitching is not an option" 

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

For all the hand-wringing that we were either going to hire someone directly tied to Maddon (McLeod) or someone Arte knew well from before (Holland), it's cool to see we went outside the organization and hired someone with no ties to, well, anyone currently with our team.

With a lot of our budget already tied to significant contracts, it'll be up to Minasian to figure out ways to draft + develop and find value on the market.  Given that he worked for two organizations that don't have big budgets (TOR, ATL) - I would say he is well-positioned to utilize the principles he has learned to find talent.

I like the first move he made (signing Wong) as a low-risk deal that could potentially fill a need for us.  There is a ton of work to do, but I have high hopes for him.

For me that's kind of what I wanted for a GM I wanted someone who came from a lower budget team who's done well. Like how Friedman went from TB to LA. I don't think big budget teams is necessarily the way to win in today's baseball. It's about building a team from within and not just buying the older free agent the Pujols, Hamilton, Upton's (yes I know he wasn't a free agent) of the world. I've said it numerous times that I wouldn't sign anyone to contracts past when they are 34 or 35 and that's typically what you have to do with these big time free agents. I am excited to see what "the Minasian" can do for this club and help build a sustainable winner again. 

39 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

meh not really in my opinion.

Lodge asked him if he valued in-house pitching and he responded of of course that's a priority but we'll also look to add from outside organization. He can't really say "we have no pitching prospects worth anything so no homegrown pitching is not an option" 

^^^^   Homegrown pitching is several years away, with maybe a few exceptions, like Detmers.....Minasian will have to to draft and develop it....

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Molly Jolly?

Women of Angels Baseball: Molly Jolly

APA_130429_28.jpg

By Ellen Bell, AngelsWin.com Staff Writer 

Molly Jolly gets asked the same question all the time.

"How did you get such a cool job?"

As Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration, Jolly oversees financial matters for the Angels. It may seem that working in professional sports requires specialized talents. But the steps that brought her to the front office of a major league baseball team are the same ones needed for success at any job: finding your passion, making a plan, and gathering as many skills and experiences along the way. 

When Jolly was a kid in Florida, going to Miami Dolphins games with her dad, she couldn't have known that she would one day work for a professional sports franchise. Instead, she started on a typical career path, majoring in economics and accounting and working in a traditional corporate environment. 

Her job at the Atlantic Ritchfield Company (ARCO) led her to Anchorage, Alaska where she was an inventory accountant and financial analyst for their exploratory drilling operation. While in Alaska, Jolly became interested in the business operations of the local minor league hockey team. This attraction to the financial side of professional sports set her on a course that would lead to her future career.

“I had run the gamut of the oil experience,” said Jolly. “I was looking for a change.”

She brought her dream of a new career in the entertainment/sports industry with her to  Los Angeles, where she earned her MBA in Business Administration at UCLA.  For her thesis project she wrote a business plan for buying a minor league hockey team. This  led to consulting work with the Long Beach Ice Dogs. It was about this time when The Disney Company was looking for a Director of Finance for both the Anaheim Ducks and the Angels. 

The right job came along at just the right time.

Success may have seemed like an overnight stroke of good luck, but it was really a result of years of business experience and an intentional plan to join the industry of her choice. 

“It was a combination of moving in the right direction and then having enough momentum to make it happen when the opportunity came along.”

Today, Molly Jolly is responsible for the financial and administrative side of the Angels Organization, which includes everything from financial reporting and budgeting to ticketing operations and human resources. From her side of things, working in the front office of a major league baseball team is no different than any other corporation.

“Baseball is a business,” said Jolly. “Having a broad tool kit of transportable skills is more important than knowing the difference between an ball and a strike.”

Being a woman makes little difference when it comes to business opportunities in the professional sports industry. 

“In the Angels organization, we need people with a wide variety of skills,” Jolly explains. “Regardless of gender or sports experience. We look for people who are good at what they do.”

During home games, she can be found at Angels Stadium, making sure that all is going smoothly. Being on duty during the game is part of the job description in professional sports. But every once and awhile, Jolly likes to takes a break and enjoy the same experience as the fans. Once on her birthday, she told her husband that she wanted to sit in the stands, eat a hot dog and watch the game like everyone else. 

“Nobody knew who I was. I could just relax and enjoy the game like all the other fans.”

Look for my next 'Women of Angels Baseball' segment on Monday, June 17th as I uncover yet another influential woman behind Angels Baseball. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Women of Angels Baseball: Molly Jolly

APA_130429_28.jpg

By Ellen Bell, AngelsWin.com Staff Writer 

Molly Jolly gets asked the same question all the time.

"How did you get such a cool job?"

As Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration, Jolly oversees financial matters for the Angels. It may seem that working in professional sports requires specialized talents. But the steps that brought her to the front office of a major league baseball team are the same ones needed for success at any job: finding your passion, making a plan, and gathering as many skills and experiences along the way. 

When Jolly was a kid in Florida, going to Miami Dolphins games with her dad, she couldn't have known that she would one day work for a professional sports franchise. Instead, she started on a typical career path, majoring in economics and accounting and working in a traditional corporate environment. 

Her job at the Atlantic Ritchfield Company (ARCO) led her to Anchorage, Alaska where she was an inventory accountant and financial analyst for their exploratory drilling operation. While in Alaska, Jolly became interested in the business operations of the local minor league hockey team. This attraction to the financial side of professional sports set her on a course that would lead to her future career.

“I had run the gamut of the oil experience,” said Jolly. “I was looking for a change.”

She brought her dream of a new career in the entertainment/sports industry with her to  Los Angeles, where she earned her MBA in Business Administration at UCLA.  For her thesis project she wrote a business plan for buying a minor league hockey team. This  led to consulting work with the Long Beach Ice Dogs. It was about this time when The Disney Company was looking for a Director of Finance for both the Anaheim Ducks and the Angels. 

The right job came along at just the right time.

Success may have seemed like an overnight stroke of good luck, but it was really a result of years of business experience and an intentional plan to join the industry of her choice. 

“It was a combination of moving in the right direction and then having enough momentum to make it happen when the opportunity came along.”

Today, Molly Jolly is responsible for the financial and administrative side of the Angels Organization, which includes everything from financial reporting and budgeting to ticketing operations and human resources. From her side of things, working in the front office of a major league baseball team is no different than any other corporation.

“Baseball is a business,” said Jolly. “Having a broad tool kit of transportable skills is more important than knowing the difference between an ball and a strike.”

Being a woman makes little difference when it comes to business opportunities in the professional sports industry. 

“In the Angels organization, we need people with a wide variety of skills,” Jolly explains. “Regardless of gender or sports experience. We look for people who are good at what they do.”

During home games, she can be found at Angels Stadium, making sure that all is going smoothly. Being on duty during the game is part of the job description in professional sports. But every once and awhile, Jolly likes to takes a break and enjoy the same experience as the fans. Once on her birthday, she told her husband that she wanted to sit in the stands, eat a hot dog and watch the game like everyone else. 

“Nobody knew who I was. I could just relax and enjoy the game like all the other fans.”

Look for my next 'Women of Angels Baseball' segment on Monday, June 17th as I uncover yet another influential woman behind Angels Baseball. 

Our own @Afternoon Angel also known as Ellen Bell in one of her many features she did for us on The Women of Angels Baseball. The one she did on Jackie Autry was great!