• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Idgaf what anyone else says, I wish Victor was our GM.

It’s not just because of his knowledge of the Angels but his overall knowledge in general. I think there will come a day that the Angels are kicking themselves for letting Victor go elsewhere. 

Haha. Ok. 

7 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

It’s not just because of his knowledge of the Angels but his overall knowledge in general. I think there will come a day that the Angels are kicking themselves for letting Victor go elsewhere. 

LOL 

11 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I think Victor will eventually be a MLB GM on some team, but I don't think he's ready at this time with little to no experience. 

Maybe down the road he will, but I don't think we'll be kicking ourselves anytime soon for not hiring Rojas as our GM straight from the booth to the front office. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think Victor will eventually be a MLB GM on some team, but I don't think he's ready at this time with little to no experience. 

Maybe down the road he will, but I don't think we'll be kicking ourselves anytime soon for not hiring Rojas as our GM straight from the booth to the front office. 

Yeah, I realize it would’ve been quite the leap for one to make. 

It’ll be interesting to see where the rest of his career takes him. Like you said, I’m sure one day he’ll be the GM of a MLB club.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Shup up please, your facts are triggering me.

Here's another one...  Of the 28 HRs Davis hit in 2019-20, only 19 would have been HRs in Texas' new park. His one tool is going to take a hit. 

I really wouldn't be surprised if they DFA him or try to trade him to a NL team if MLB/MLBPA eventually agree to rules changes universal DH this season.  Willie Calhoun is a terrible defender and they need to see if he can hit or not.

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Here's another one...  Of the 28 HRs Davis hit in 2019-20, only 19 would have been HRs in Texas' new park. His one tool is going to take a hit. 

I really wouldn't be surprised if they DFA him or try to trade him to a NL team if MLB/MLBPA eventually agree to rules changes universal DH this season.  Willie Calhoun is a terrible defender and they need to see if he can hit or not.

Well 

So I was hilariously wrong and this doesn't seem to help either team?

I'll gladly look like and idoit if that's the case. Seriously this division is up for grabs.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Well 

So I was hilariously wrong and this doesn't seem to help either team?

I'll gladly look like and idoit if that's the case. Seriously this division is up for grabs.

Nah... I was surprised at that last bit. 

Was also surprised to see the As didn't have a true SS on their 40 man.  They have Pinder who can play SS but no legit SS, so it makes some sense for the A's.  Lol, imagine the comments here if the team was two weeks away from ST and didn't have a SS around, or if the best offer to Simmons would have been 2.5 mil with 10 mil deferred. 

The division really is changing.  

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Which is kind of why I wanted the Angels to go all in this offseason without completely obliterating their farm system. 

I believe they could have done this through FA and while they have, so far they've been lackluster signings & trades. 

I guess time will tell, but unless Quintana and Cobb can come close to their early years when with the White Sox/Rays and Ohtani returns like Godzilla, there's not a ton of optimism entering the 2021 season.

That's coming from one of the optimistic guys on this website.

I'd really like them to sign Trevor Rosenthal and/or Walker/Paxton/Odorizzi to multi-year deals so that we have some arms beyond this season. 

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nah... I was surprised at that last bit. 

Was also surprised to see the As didn't have a true SS on their 40 man.  They have Pinder who can play SS but no legit SS, so it makes some sense for the A's.  Lol, imagine the comments here if the team was two weeks away from ST and didn't have a SS around, or if the best offer to Simmons would have been 2.5 mil with 10 mil deferred. 

As long as the angels mediocre is better than the rest of their mediocre I’m fine lol. Fairly certain the World Series winner is coming out of the NL west anyways 

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

yah.  that's why he got a job in AA

23 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I guess time will tell, but unless Quintana and Cobb can come close to their early years when with the White Sox/Rays and Ohtani returns like Godzilla, there's not a ton of optimism entering the 2021 season.

I would have gone with is all over batters like white on rice, but returns like Godzilla nice and concise.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Which is kind of why I wanted the Angels to go all in this offseason without completely obliterating their farm system. 

I believe they could have done this through FA and while they have, so far they've been lackluster signings & trades. 

I'd really like them to sign Trevor Rosenthal and/or Walker/Paxton/Odorizzi to multi-year deals so that we have some arms beyond this season. 

Cobb is going to have himself a very surprising, Bundy type of campaign. I think Minasian is right, there's some slight changes they see that he can make that will make him very effective.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

And it can be argued that's why Arte didn't try harder. If no one else in your division is trying to win, there's no competitive gusto to put your team ahead and it's easier and cheaper to do the same. It's like all 5 owners met and agreed to not do too much to put themselves ahead of the other team. This division might play out like the 2020-2021 NFC east.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Anyone here that's ever lived in Japan can vouch, they take Godzilla seriously there. No joke. Like there's an actual fear of that beast coming from the ocean and destroying them. 

BS

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I said early on this offseason would go as far as Arte would allow it so..  no real surprises/letdowns for me.   

But where you say you're not optimistic, I actually am..  Well, maybe optimistic isn't the word for it so much as I have more faith they can actually contend, and if you remember I wasn't among the people picking them to make the postseason the last few years.  I picked the Twins over them twice for that final playoff spot.

I see less wishing among their signings this year -- minus RF where I think they are putting too much faith in Fowler to rebound but at the same time even last year he showed he could be useful in a platoon situation.  I have more faith in Quintana than I did the upside plays the last few years, only because I don't think they are hoping for him to return to what he used to be so much as they are hoping he just continues to be what he's been the last few years.  Cobb stands a chance at being slop but I don't see a 9.00 ERA season for him.   

I'm hopeful that Maddon has a better feel for what he has, what they can do, how they will respond.  There were a lot of questionable moves last year that I'm willing to write off as a new manager wanting to get familiar with his guys..  but, hopefully there are fewer moves for the sake of making moves this year.

My big concern right now is the defense, it was just so bad last year.  I know moving Fletch back to 2B makes the IF better but, Iglesias is a downgrade from Simba and Fowler is likely Goodwin redux...  I'd like to see another reliever signed but depending how they handle the SP situation with Sandoval and Barria, they may already have the arms they need to fill out the other spots.   The Callaway situation blows too -- they need a plus pitching coach.

Mostly, you look at the division and you have an A's team that looks weaker on paper.  An Astros team that is nowhere near as deep as it had been in the past, even with Alvarez being back.  If Stanek and Josh James come up big that likely helps them a great deal but that pitching staff could go either way, break out or fall apart.

Lastly, Odorizzi is probably being overrated by people, but it would have been nice if they added someone for more than one year.  Not sure if he's something they are considering but potentially having to replace 4 SPs doesn't sound fun.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Anyone here that's ever lived in Japan can vouch, they take Godzilla seriously there. No joke. Like there's an actual fear of that beast coming from the ocean and destroying them. 

I’ve been to 15 cities in Japan and can tell you with great certainty that isn’t true. They do however have vending machines with used women’s underwear. They also worship Tommy Lee Jones 

Chris Davis
8:29
Am I only one finding it odd that a team didnt try signing Tanaka more? Very steady pitcher over the years and seems like would havebt been roi expensive seeing what he got going back to Japan.  Shocked Angel's didnt sign him

Mark P
8:30
This is just speculation on my part, but I wonder if he didn't really want to pitch anywhere besides New York or Japan.

8:31
I'm sure he would have gone to the Angels or elsewhere if someone had met his asking price, but without any takers, it wasn't worth it for him