• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

Just now, mmc said:

It is absolutely unfathomable to me that we are about 9 million away from hitting the luxury tax and still need a top of the rotation starter and probably 2 good relievers to be even competing for the pennant. 

We could easily win the division with the roster we have now. The playoffs are always a crapshoot. If a guy or two is available via a trade down the stretch that will make us better, I'm pretty sure Arte will go over the luxury tax to acquire those players. 

10 minutes ago, nando714 said:

We didn’t spend stupid money 

the division is wide open 

still have some pieces to make a trade mid season or pieces to sell if we’re out of it by the deadline 

We have a lot of room to spend in the winter of 2021/22. 

bring on spring training !! 

This is actually a good point. 

Maybe, just maybe Minasian has been targeting the 2021-2022 offseason as their big spend based on the moves from the opposition from within the division?

The Rangers and Mariners are in a rebuild, the Astros and A's got worse, so why not try to win with the team they have now with so much $$$ coming off the books after this season? Makes sense base don all the 1-year deals, including the trades for players with just one year left on their contracts.

The Angels do have a good roster of talent. Bundy, Canning, Heaney and even Barria were all good pitchers in 2020. Add Quintana who should be really solid behind Bundy, Cobb as a backend guy who can give us an ERA of 4.50 (a bunch of QS's), along with a fully recovered Ohtani as a wildcard.... plus a legit closer in Iglesias? This team can easily compete for the division with the way it's constructed now. 

While we've whiffed on some FA pitchers the past few years, I don't see that happening following this season and we have reason for hope in Detmers, Rodriguez and Marsh/Adell heading into 2022 as well. 

I kind of like the one year deals. Gives the player incentive to have a good season , to try to get a multi year deal the following year. And it helps the team with payroll flexibility.  And if the player craps the bed, he might be working next year in the real world.

I'm pretty sure Trout is having conversations with Perry and Perry is keeping him in the loop.  I can totally see Trout agreeing with Perry's approach about seeing what this year produces with our young players.  He's too important to not keep in the loop.

Edited by halonatic13

And in all honesty, I think free agency in general is treading through shark infested waters looking for a dolphin. They're are so many ways it can wrong. 

The one year deals are probably the safest way to survive FA. Quintana won't likely be great, but he won't likely be awful either. The same with Cobb, Fowler, Suzuki and Claudio. 

Both Iglesias' are likely going to be solid. But the point is, 40 million in 2021, 45 million in 2022 has so many ways it could destroy this team. Minasian has played it smart up to this point. 

Edited by Second Base

On 2/7/2021 at 2:33 PM, tdawg87 said:

Well, is the title of closer important to Iglesias? Maybe he'd happily move to setup if we got Rosenthal. 

Or maybe not. 

If you want a chance of winning a Championship Trophy and getting a Ring there is no reason why dual closers should be a problem. Especially, the way we were running arms out there every single day last year and Bullpen games etc. 

It actually allows you to keep a guy fresh and who says having two 25-30 save guys to shutdown the back end of games. Doesn't help you to get to meaningful baseball in September/October!

Can’t go into the reg season with just two late innings guys to count on.

Perry, except for Iglesias trade, has been pretty conservative with the pen.  A pen that was mediocre in 2020

Just adding one closer, one LOOGY, and one rule 5 and not bringing back Andriese = NOT a lot of pen improvement.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Perry, except for Iglesias trade, has been pretty conservative with the pen.  A pen that was mediocre in 2020

Just adding one closer, one LOOGY, and one rule 5 and not bringing back Andriese = NOT a lot of pen improvement.

Petit will be here soon

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Greene is an inexpensive quality guy I could see coming here 

Hypothetical question...

If the Angels still make a push for Odorizzi or Rosenthal who would call our offseason a success and be confident for a good playoff run?

Some might say it's been successful already, but just curious as to who thinks Odorizzi or Rosenthal really makes us a bit dangerous...

Minasian hasn't picked up anyone fancy in terms of big-name guys, but he has brought in a lot of options. which could play well for the Angels. 
Jose Iglesias, Raisel Iglesias, Alex Claudio, Kurt Suzuki, Jose Quintana, Alex Cobb, Dexter Folwer and now Aaron Slegers.