• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Odorizzi is good, but again, I don't think the Angels add anymore SP. If they did, they'd have to move Canning to the bullpen and lose Barria, neither of which are in the best interest of the team.

I think they'll bring in one more solid reliever, and a Billy Hamilton type of 4th outfielder.

They'd almost certainly trade Heaney if they added another starter.

Not saying they're getting one but it wouldn't completely surprise me.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It would certainly surprise me. Teams that need starting pitching don't commonly trade it away. 

Well, Heaney is a FA next year. Trade him for a reliever and free up a rotation spot for a guy for 3 years. Extend Bundy. Then we only have to replace 2 pitchers, and between Detmers, Rodriguez, Barria, and Sandoval, I think we'd be in better shape than we are now.

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

Odorizzi is good, but again, I don't think the Angels add anymore SP. If they did, they'd have to move Canning to the bullpen and lose Barria, neither of which are in the best interest of the team.

I think they'll bring in one more solid reliever, and a Billy Hamilton type of 4th outfielder.

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

They'd almost certainly trade Heaney if they added another starter.

Not saying they're getting one but it wouldn't completely surprise me.

You both can be right, generally. I think it’s likelier we see Barria, Canning, or Sandoval dealt in a bigger deal rather than Heaney though.

If there’s one big plus to all this, it’s that Minasian has set himself up nicely to be opportunistic. He could go with the team as is and it would be acceptable, though not exciting, relying on depth and potential of internal improvement.

Or he can wait out and see what happens the next month or two...if a trade materialized for a SP involving Adell or Marsh, he has Fowler now for RF instead of relying on Ward and Schebler. If he decided he wanted Contreras and it was going to cost him one or two of Barria, Sandoval, or Canning, he can do that now and at least have an MLB proven vet like Cobb ready for the back of the rotation instead of having to pull from guys like Suarez, Detmers or Rodriguez before they’re ready. 

Edited by totdprods

7 hours ago, BritAngel said:

And settle for 3rd or 4th in the AL west what a waste of trout🤔

Hope I am wrong but to me this off season seems like a massive missed opportunity, criminal when you think we are one of the top end budget franchises.

I'm not so sure it would be third. Houston hasn't improved, and they'll be without Verlander. Greinke is finally beginning to feel the effects of father time. Teams will be all over them regarding their cheating and use of illegal substances on the mound. 

Oakland has actually gotten worse, losing La Stella and Semien from the top and middle of their lineup. 

The Mariners clearly aren't ready yet, and with Dipoto making the decisions and scouting out which youngsters to bring in, I doubt they ever will be. The Rangers are in a rebuild phase. 

And that leaves the Angels. They have clearly improved. They ended last season hot, will get a healthy Ohtani back both in the batters box and on the mound hopefully, where he can be an ace, they'll get a full season of Walsh, they've fixed the back of their rotation, they've improved the bullpen, they should have great infield defense and got a solid RF that can get them by until the super prospects are ready. And they've got some guns in the minors that may help later in the year. 

I think the Angels, Astros and A's will ask be within five games at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I'm not so sure it would be third. Houston hasn't improved, and they'll be without Verlander. Greinke is finally beginning to feel the effects of father time. Teams will be all over them regarding their cheating and use of illegal substances on the mound. 

Oakland has actually gotten worse, losing La Stella and Semien from the top and middle of their lineup. 

The Mariners clearly aren't ready yet, and with Dipoto making the decisions and scouting out which youngsters to bring in, I doubt they ever will be. The Rangers are in a rebuild phase. 

And that leaves the Angels. They have clearly improved. They ended last season hot, will get a healthy Ohtani back both in the batters box and on the mound hopefully, where he can be an ace, they'll get a full season of Walsh, they've fixed the back of their rotation, they've improved the bullpen, they should have great infield defense and got a solid RF that can get them by until the super prospects are ready. And they've got some guns in the minors that may help later in the year. 

I think the Angels, Astros and A's will ask be within five games at the end of the season.

The Astros still have a lot of quality offense even without Springer and a decent rotation and bullpen which performed well in the post season. I think they will still make a couple of acquisitions and will be strong.

The A's are the A's and infuriatingly always seem to be able to put together a decent team from nothing. 

The Mariners have a clutch if good prospects and if they click then they will be in the mix.

I will give you the rangers👍

4 minutes ago, BritAngel said:

The Astros still have a lot of quality offense even without Springer and a decent rotation and bullpen which performed well in the post season. I think they will still make a couple of acquisitions and will be strong.

The A's are the A's and infuriatingly always seem to be able to put together a decent team from nothing. 

The Mariners have a clutch if good prospects and if they click then they will be in the mix.

I will give you the rangers👍

Astros aren't infallible anymore. They'll need to fight for the division. I agree that they should be considered the favorites, but they won't be running away with anything. I figure they'll be good for 90-ish wins. 

The A's will still be a good team on the strength of a good young pitching staff. But that offense is going to struggle to put up runs. I think they'll be an 85-90 win team.

With the low profile yet wholesale improvements to the Angels roster and clubhouse, I think you're going to see an 85-90 win club. 

14 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Without looking it up I bet our whole pitching staff makes less

It’s close. Bundy is the highest paid pitcher on the staff at 8.325, They’re paying Iglesias 8.25, Quintana makes 8. That’s over 24. Heaney is at 6.75, brings it up to 31.325. Ohtani if he counts will be around 3.3 at the highest, and Pena, Claudio, and Mayers make just under 3.5 combined. That’s around 38. We’re paying some portion of $5 for Cobb, For 9 guys takes us to $43. Buttrey, Canning, Barria, Rivera, Bard would be 14 guys and at around 45. 

So it’s very close.

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

It’s critical to bring in one more late innings guy.   Iglesias and Mayers isn’t enough.