• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Lastly, Odorizzi is probably being overrated by people, but it would have been nice if they added someone for more than one year.  Not sure if he's something they are considering but potentially having to replace 4 SPs doesn't sound fun.

As strong as the desire for a solid "name" pitcher is, I think they need to resist going all in on a guy like Odorizzi. He's a solid pitcher, but 3 for 45 doesn't change the game for them. I think they are much better served going after another reliever like Rosenthal, Greene, or Melancon. 

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Looks like he's a minor league free agent signing. After going undrafted out of college in 2019, it looks like he worked on improving his velocity this offseason and is up to 97 mph. (Per his instagram)

Cool. Hope the kid pans out.

12 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

As strong as the desire for a solid "name" pitcher is, I think they need to resist going all in on a guy like Odorizzi. He's a solid pitcher, but 3 for 45 doesn't change the game for them. I think they are much better served going after another reliever like Rosenthal, Greene, or Melancon. 

As I said... People are overrating him IMO.  My point was just that it would have been nice to have a veteran arm signed beyond this season. That said, there is nothing stopping them from extending guys in season.   

I want no part of Melancon.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

As I said... People are overeating him IMO.  My point was just that it would have been nice to have a veteran arm signed beyond this season. That said, there is nothing stopping them from extending guys in season.   

I want no part of Melancon.

Neither does anyone else, it seems.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Neither does anyone else, it seems.

He's a hard one to figure out.  Gives up a lot of hits, and he gives up hard contact but he's made a career out of keeping the ball in the park.  There seemed to be a lot of smoke and mirrors last year, the K rate evaporated, the stat cast data in games I watched was not pretty but he wasn't particularly lucky...  Just looked like a guy getting by on smarts but a guy about to fall off a cliff.

Barria could be every bit as good if not better than Odorizzi. 

If we're going to sign a FA starting pitcher I'd rather go Paxton or Walker.

But honestly I'd love for the team to sign Rosenthal to a 2 or 3-year deal. We need a closer beyond Iglesias this season. 

Can you imagine Mayers, Rosenthal and Iglesias working the 7-9 innings. Buttrey, Rivera, and Reyes also throw gas and can handle the 6th inning. Pena the longman, Claudio a situational lefty.

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

I don't know about Tommy Lee Jones, but I do know they had a certain fascination with tall black dudes. A group of friends and I were in Yokohama and Tokyo for some R&R and the amount ofplay they got was disproportionate to stateside attention/action. 

If you really spend so much time in Japan you'd know it is called L&L.

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

I've lived in Japan and can tell you it absolutely is true. It's a superstition thing with them. They don't talk about it. 

I never once saw a vending machine with panties, but I did see them with beer, cigarettes, mobile phones and make up, so I wouldn't rule that out. 

I don't know about Tommy Lee Jones, but I do know they had a certain fascination with tall black dudes. A group of friends and I were in Yokohama and Tokyo for some R&R and the amount of play they got was disproportionate to stateside attention/action. 

Probably true too lol. I was on tour with some bands in those cities for 3 months and It’s a really fun place. I searched for a week for something other than noodles, broth and gyoza. Found a Mexican restaurant which was hilarious. The lady’s cigarette ash was almost 4 inches long hanging right over my burrito as she was making it. Watched a guy pass out in his ramen at 3 am and the restaurant owner just pulled his head out of the soup and put it on the table until he woke up. 

8 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

But honestly I'd love for the team to sign Rosenthal to a 2 or 3-year deal. We need a closer beyond Iglesias this season. 

Can you imagine Mayers, Rosenthal and Iglesias working the 7-9 innings. Buttrey, Rivera, and Reyes also throw gas and can handle the 6th inning. Pena the longman, Claudio a situational lefty.

Couldn’t agree more. Rosenthal should be a top target for Minasian. Adding Rosenthal would make for a pretty solid offseason IMO. 

9 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Barria could be every bit as good if not better than Odorizzi. 

If we're going to sign a FA starting pitcher I'd rather go Paxton or Walker.

I'm not a fan of Buttey last year and half he has been horrible. I hope he can turn it around. I would like a Petit signing.

19 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I guess time will tell, but unless Quintana and Cobb can come close to their early years when with the White Sox/Rays and Ohtani returns like Godzilla, there's not a ton of optimism entering the 2021 season.

That's coming from one of the optimistic guys on this website.

I'd really like them to sign Trevor Rosenthal and/or Walker/Paxton/Odorizzi to multi-year deals so that we have some arms beyond this season. 

I actually think the Angels are slight favorites in the AL West right now as the teams are currently constructed.

20 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think Victor will eventually be a MLB GM on some team, but I don't think he's ready at this time with little to no experience. 

Maybe down the road he will, but I don't think we'll be kicking ourselves anytime soon for not hiring Rojas as our GM straight from the booth to the front office. 

This, the experience in AA will be quite beneficial, and while being near his home.