• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

16 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I think his HOF chances are officially gone now 

Well, at this point it's hard to believe he was ever clean.   Dude was a non-prospect until he went absolutely apeshit at age 22 in AAA.  His MLB career OPS of .844 is over 80 points higher than his career numbers in the minors, and we aren't talking a small sample, he had over 2K minor league PAs

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Well, at this point it's hard to believe he was ever clean.   Dude was a non-prospect until he went absolutely apeshit at age 22 in AAA.  His MLB career OPS of .844 is over 80 points higher than his career numbers in the minors, and we aren't talking a small sample, he had over 2K minor league PAs

So taking Roids made him over 200 million dollars. Absolutely worth it

Gaylord Perry is in the Hall of Fame despite cheating when he was a pitcher in the big leagues. Yet, you have guys like Bonds and Clemens who were Hall of Farmers before their PED usage. And they’re still not in the Hall of Fame. Hypocritical voters. Bunch of fakes just like the Dodgers’ asterisk 2020 World Series title. 

54 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Gaylord Perry is in the Hall of Fame despite cheating when he was a pitcher in the big leagues. Yet, you have guys like Bonds and Clemens who were Hall of Farmers before their PED usage. And they’re still not in the Hall of Fame. Hypocritical voters. Bunch of fakes just like the Dodgers’ asterisk 2020 World Series title. 

I am in favor of Bonds and Clemens being in the HoF, but I think the discussion deserves a lot more nuance than this...

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

And if you aren’t paying Bauer any money after his 35th birthday, you probably aren’t signing him.  He’s getting 6-7 years. 

Maybe. He's 29 now offer him more money until the 35th year. There's zero chance if I am the owner I want to be stuck with an older player with a big salary who's at higher risk for injury. I will let someone else take on that risk. I like Bauer and think he's awesome but the same thing I said about Trout and Cole etc applies. I wouldn't pay anyone over the age of their 35th birthday season. 

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If you won't consider a guy like Darvish where you take money on for an older guy then it's gonna be next to impossible to add a potential front of the rotation arm.  No amount of prospects is going to pry away a young front of the rotation starter who isn't owed a lot of money.  

I agree with you btw that there is tremendous risk with Darvish and his age relative to what he's owed.  I wouldn't trade any of our top prospects for him either.  But the reality is that if that's the Angels stance, then they likely aren't going to acquire a guy who can pitch at the top of the rotation.  

But I may be one of the few who is ok with that.  I personally feel like we can get away with having a solid rotation as opposed to what we saw with teams like the Nats or Astros a couple years ago.  I don't think people realize how rare it is to be able to put something like that together.  Almost historically good.  

My main premise is that the Angels need to avoid the Teheran's, the Harvey's and Cahills, and Allens and Giavotellas and Rafael Ortegas and Danny Espinosas or Ben Revere/Maybin combos or Valbuenas (RIP), or Cozarts or Chris Young types or getting -2 WAR from a position or that pitcher with an ERA of 9 that makes half a season worth of starts or pitches half a seasons worth of innings out of the pen.  

You're never going to completely get away from that so having it at a spot or two is understood.  Just not at like 5 or 6 spots.  

I just don't think Darvish is the investment you want. I don't think the Angels need a 35 year old pitcher on the downside of his career. In 2018 and 2019 he had an over 4 era and this year he had a 2.23 era. If I were to guess next year a year older and a hopefully full season, covid being gone and all, I would bet he would be around the same numbers he put up in 2018 and 2019 and not what he put up in a shortened 2020. The Angels can't accept that level of risk, they need more sure things than another over paid guy who may or may not be injury prone. 

32 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I just don't think Darvish is the investment you want. I don't think the Angels need a 35 year old pitcher on the downside of his career. In 2018 and 2019 he had an over 4 era and this year he had a 2.23 era. If I were to guess next year a year older and a hopefully full season, covid being gone and all, I would bet he would be around the same numbers he put up in 2018 and 2019 and not what he put up in a shortened 2020. The Angels can't accept that level of risk, they need more sure things than another over paid guy who may or may not be injury prone. 

You just described every pitcher.