• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

2 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

..................................................................................................................................... What about the damn pitching!

The Wire Wtf GIF

Totally agree, but who?  I am starting to jump on the "maximize the potential of the players on the roster approach" and having Realmuto plus Calloway might just get the current staff to average.  An average pitching staff would make a huge difference.

I don't see a need for us to pursue Realmuto.  Catching is rough, and investing in a 30+ year old catcher for 5 years sounds like a bad idea to me.

Stassi had a stellar year and performed well.  We don't have a lot of money to spend, but we should spend a good chunk of that money on pitching.

IMO, I would be on board with signing Bauer (25-27mil AAV), a significant reliever (like Rosenthal, Hand, Treinen, etc) to a ~6-7mil AAV deal, and then using whatever remaining money on either a 2B or LHH OF (like Pederson) to provide more lineup balance.

20 hours ago, zenmaster said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/j-t-realmuto-likely-free-agent-destinations

We are 3 on this list. I've said it for awhile now I think Arte's big splash this offseason will be Realmuto. 

I just...look we have positions of need, I get it. SS being a big one. I have no doubt Minasian will work on that. But for just ONE offseason can we please just focus on the literal biggest glaring need the team has had for 7 straight years? 

Signing Realmuto is like buying a lamborghini when you're facing foreclosure on your home. 

The majority of the budget this offseason should be used on pitching. We don't know yet whether that's going to be 40 million or 10 million. If it's the latter, we're in a tough spot and at that point the only real option is to use those funds to load up on bullpen arms. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I just...look we have positions of need, I get it. SS being a big one. I have no doubt Minasian will work on that. But for just ONE offseason can we please just focus on the literal biggest glaring need the team has had for 7 straight years? 

Signing Realmuto is like buying a lamborghini when you're facing foreclosure on your home. 

The majority of the budget this offseason should be used on pitching. We don't know yet whether that's going to be 40 million or 10 million. If it's the latter, we're in a tough spot and at that point the only real option is to use those funds to load up on bullpen arms. 

I have no doubt Minasian will focus on SP, but the interesting thing will be to see how he does it.  There are two routes he can go:

1.  Use most of the money he has available to sign Bauer, thus securing a #1 to our rotation

2.  Spread his free agent money to areas that are more economical (2B, LHH OF, relief, backend SP) to fill up those areas, and instead, utilize prospects to acquire a more prominent SP to put at the top (or towards the top) of the rotation

As cool as #1 would be, I could see the 2nd route being more likely, given that it probably will lead to a better overall club, as for the price of Bauer, you can probably sign 4-5 other guys to patch up weaknesses and strengthen this team overall.

But yeah, that said - I do expect pitching to be addressed, both SP and relief.

28 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I have no doubt Minasian will focus on SP, but the interesting thing will be to see how he does it.  There are two routes he can go:

1.  Use most of the money he has available to sign Bauer, thus securing a #1 to our rotation

2.  Spread his free agent money to areas that are more economical (2B, LHH OF, relief, backend SP) to fill up those areas, and instead, utilize prospects to acquire a more prominent SP to put at the top (or towards the top) of the rotation

As cool as #1 would be, I could see the 2nd route being more likely, given that it probably will lead to a better overall club, as for the price of Bauer, you can probably sign 4-5 other guys to patch up weaknesses and strengthen this team overall.

But yeah, that said - I do expect pitching to be addressed, both SP and relief.

#2 without the LH outfielder. 

I’d rather see them spend it on Bauer, as well as trade prospects for a front end guy. No guarantee Bundy performs like last season. He should be at best the number 3.

bundle upton and a mid tier prospect for a bullpen piece  Eating some of the salary but opening up the rest for the other holes.

58 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I’d rather see them spend it on Bauer, as well as trade prospects for a front end guy. No guarantee Bundy performs like last season. He should be at best the number 3.

bundle upton and a mid tier prospect for a bullpen piece  Eating some of the salary but opening up the rest for the other holes.

Yea, I don’t think you are getting much for Upton even if he waives his no trade clause and you eat a ton of his owed money, which he won’t do and we won’t do.  I am excited to see if Upton bounces back, since after his first 15-18 games this past year he was back to his normal self.  I think if 2020 was a full season he is somewhere between a 2-3 win player again even with that awful start.  

25 minutes ago, Revad said:

We could use Goodwin right now, maybe the trade was good (pitching!) and the replacement may well be as good or better but I liked Goody.

Likely, we can find someone fairly cheaply who can fill the same role Goodwin did - corner OF LHH.  As we've seen, good pitching is much more difficult (and expensive) to find.

Even someone like Joc Pederson, who has a pretty robust history of being a good hitter against RHP, will be lucky to get 2 years in free agency in his prime.

59 minutes ago, Revad said:

We could use Goodwin right now, maybe the trade was good (pitching!) and the replacement may well be as good or better but I liked Goody.

Goodwin's gonna get non-tendered by Cincinatti. To get arm depth and a top 15 organizational prospect in Packy Naughton is a huge win, especially since the Angels would've non-tendered Goodwin as well.

They could use an outfielder, but there are better options than Goodwin.

I think most of us here would like to find a way to trade Upton and convince Albert to retire.  Upton has a no-trade clause, which we would have to buy out.  Albert is not retiring.  

Sign Bauer, sign Hand, sign Wong, sign Austin Barnes, and go over the tax threshold if we have to, it will only be for 1 season, since Albert will be coming off of the books.  

For myself, this is the best case scenario.

55 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I think most of us here would like to find a way to trade Upton and convince Albert to retire.  Upton has a no-trade clause, which we would have to buy out.  Albert is not retiring.  

Sign Bauer, sign Hand, sign Wong, sign Austin Barnes, and go over the tax threshold if we have to, it will only be for 1 season, since Albert will be coming off of the books.  

For myself, this is the best case scenario.

Austin Barnes isn't a free agent