• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

7 hours ago, fishbulb said:

Study selection Randomised clinical trials in which people with suspected, probable, or confirmed covid-19 were randomised to drug treatment or to standard care or placebo. Pairs of reviewers independently screened potentially eligible articles.

When it comes to treating a potential life threatening disease with high morbitity, use of Placebo should be a criminal offense. These patients have no chance of improved status through placebo, it is more of a death sentence than adhering to do no harm. They go to hospital for a cure, instead they are denied medical service to placate an outdated method of creating a control group. 

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

I did read through as much of that link as I could but not being educated in the science of medicine most of the conversation was well above my understanding. So it really came down to the introductory chart and the later breakdown of what had positive results for patient survival. It gives a clearer idea why hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir is not effective treatments.

F2.medium.jpg

Defiant bikers rumble into Sturgis for start of annual rally

Crowds of motorcycle enthusiasts gathered in Sturgis, S.D., Friday for the start of the 80th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally despite concerns over the coronavirus pandemic that has led to cancellations of other large-scale gatherings since the outbreak.

The rally could become the largest gathering since the pandemic began. Organizers were expecting 250,000 people from all over the country to make at the 10-day event. Many bikers were defiant over the restrictions that have altered daily life for most Americans.

“Screw COVID,” read the design on one T-shirt being sold. “I went to Sturgis.”

For Arizona resident Stephen Sample, 66, who rode his bike to the event, the gathering is a break from the mostly homebound routine of the past several months.

“I don’t want to die, but I don’t want to be cooped up all my life either,” he said.

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

Study selection Randomised clinical trials in which people with suspected, probable, or confirmed covid-19 were randomised to drug treatment or to standard care or placebo. Pairs of reviewers independently screened potentially eligible articles.

When it comes to treating a potential life threatening disease with high morbitity, use of Placebo should be a criminal offense. These patients have no chance of improved status through placebo, it is more of a death sentence than adhering to do no harm. They go to hospital for a cure, instead they are denied medical service to placate an outdated method of creating a control group. 

I completely understand your position. Based on a real quick and admittedly not that deep review, it seems that of all the trials, the only one that actually used a placebo was a Remdesivir study preformed in China.

13 hours ago, Blarg said:

I did read through as much of that link as I could but not being educated in the science of medicine most of the conversation was well above my understanding. So it really came down to the introductory chart and the later breakdown of what had positive results for patient survival. It gives a clearer idea why hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir is not effective treatments.

F2.medium.jpg

This is definitely the part of the analysis that is easiest to digest.

Additionally, it's worth noting that this review does not consider the administration of convalescent plasma. Just on the basis of what I've seen, patients can respond very favorably to this treatment. Our issue in making it happen for each patient is having enough of it. We're involved in a Mayo Clinic trial.

As such, I strongly encourage anybody that has had COVID to donate if it's possible. You can honestly save a life or make somebody's recovery so, so much better.

@calscuf... do it!

5 hours ago, Redondo said:

Defiant bikers rumble into Sturgis for start of annual rally

Crowds of motorcycle enthusiasts gathered in Sturgis, S.D., Friday for the start of the 80th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally despite concerns over the coronavirus pandemic that has led to cancellations of other large-scale gatherings since the outbreak.

The rally could become the largest gathering since the pandemic began. Organizers were expecting 250,000 people from all over the country to make at the 10-day event. Many bikers were defiant over the restrictions that have altered daily life for most Americans.

“Screw COVID,” read the design on one T-shirt being sold. “I went to Sturgis.”

For Arizona resident Stephen Sample, 66, who rode his bike to the event, the gathering is a break from the mostly homebound routine of the past several months.

“I don’t want to die, but I don’t want to be cooped up all my life either,” he said.

Brilliant!

I agree. It's a lot different when the medication isn't treating a life-threatening condition. Give them all the medication and see what percentage improve and recover. I believe that we can all agree that if a high percentage recover, it wasn't just spontaneous luck.

I have attended a lot of drug company presentations. A big giveaway for me is when all of their studies compare the drug to placebo, but not to any competing products. They are telling me that it is more effective than taking nothing, but not necessarily better then (or even as good as) another proven product at a fraction of the price.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

12 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I agree. It's a lot different when the medication isn't treating a life-threatening condition. Give them all the medication and see what percentage improve and recover. I believe that we can all agree that if a high percentage recover, it wasn't just spontaneous luck.

I have attended a lot of drug company presentations. A big giveaway for me is when all of their studies compare the drug to placebo, but not to any competing products. They are telling me that it is more effective than taking nothing, but not necessarily better then (or even as good as) another proven product at a fraction of the price.

Amen. We gotta take a kinda kitchen sink approach here, which is why the politicization of hcq is such a pain in the ass. It's also why teasing out good data is so difficult. It sure seems like steroids do a heck of a lot of good once a patient is sick enough to be hospitalized. We use dexa almost universally, zinc, c, D3, melatonin, Remdesivir when a patient qualifies and convalescent plasma as much as supply allows us to. Try and keep O2 sats as high as possible with HFNC (then weaning to the extent that we can) and avoid venting at almost all costs. Use ECMO judiciously and when necessary. It's something else, man.

I really hope we hit some kind of herd immunity threshold that's lower than previously speculated for whatever combo of reasons (t cells, undetected spread, etc).

58 minutes ago, calscuf said:

It’s anecdotal, but I have little kids and I’ve probably had a cold like 10 times the last couple of years.  And my case of Covid was really, really mild.  

Believe this is key. Most of my family are teachers. Obviously Dad and I are the brains in the group. However , teachers don’t get sick that often. The first couple years they  catch everything and are pretty much immune after that. 

7 hours ago, calscuf said:

One dead kid amongst 50 million certainly sounds like “almost immune.”

There's no such thing as "almost immune". You either get it or you dont. Some children who have got it, have respiratory and heart problems for the rest of their lives as a result. Some have died.

And you obviously didn't read the article. It named 3 children dead not one.

A six-year-old girl from Tennessee and a six-year-old boy from Nebraska also died from coronavirus this week. The previous youngest person to die in Georgia from Covid-19 was a 17-year-old, according to Fox News.

The child’s death came a day after president Trump falsely claimed that children are “almost immune” to the disease when he called in and spoke to the hosts of Fox & Friends.

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

There's no such thing as "almost immune". You either get it or you dont. Some children who have got it, have respiratory and heart problems for the rest of their lives as a result. Some have died.

And you obviously didn't read the article. It named 3 children dead not one.

A six-year-old girl from Tennessee and a six-year-old boy from Nebraska also died from coronavirus this week. The previous youngest person to die in Georgia from Covid-19 was a 17-year-old, according to Fox News.

The child’s death came a day after president Trump falsely claimed that children are “almost immune” to the disease when he called in and spoke to the hosts of Fox & Friends.

I’ll take those odds. 

10 hours ago, calscuf said:

@fishbulb I did get registered with the Red Cross. So I assume they’ll be calling me soon.  

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Good luck.

I used to donate often because I am O-. They are worse than bill collectors.

8 hours ago, calscuf said:

I’m O+ and had the same thing happen after I donated blood before.  

But this is pretty important and I’m in a fairly uncommon situation.  If my sacrifice of watching movies, drinking beer, sleeping 14 hours a day, playing MLB The Show and playing guitar alone for 2 weeks can help someone?  It’s a no brainer.

Awesome. Thank you so much. That can really be an incredible help for somebody that needs it.

Additionally, if any of the rest of you doofuses ( @Lhalo, @Jason, @Chuckster70, @gotbeer, @tdawg87, @JarsOfClay, @Redondo, @Stradling, @Brandon, @Adam, @fan_since79, @Angel Oracle, @AngelsLakersFan, @Taylor, @tdawg87, @ten ocho recon scout, @tennischmp , @Tank , @st1ckboy , @Lou ) and each and every one of your alt accounts ( @angelinkc, @EnglishCop, @Orange Lives Matter) are good with donating blood, you may be able to score a free antibody test out of donating for regular blood needs right now. If you pop positive, you might be able to help by donating plasma which is awesome. If you come back negative, at least you know it to the extent that the tests are reliable and you've donated some blood that will help somebody when they need it. Heck, I'd even be good with somebody receiving @Brian Ilten's convalescent plasma.

I don't know if the free antibody testing is everywhere, but it's offered here in south Texas.

Please do this if you can.

26 minutes ago, fishbulb said:

Awesome. Thank you so much. That can really be an incredible help for somebody that needs it.

Additionally, if any of the rest of you doofuses ( @Lhalo, @Jason, @Chuckster70, @gotbeer, @tdawg87, @JarsOfClay, @Redondo, @Stradling, @Brandon, @Adam, @fan_since79, @Angel Oracle, @AngelsLakersFan, @Taylor, @tdawg87, @ten ocho recon scout, @tennischmp , @Tank , @st1ckboy , @Lou ) and each and every one of your alt accounts ( @angelinkc, @EnglishCop, @Orange Lives Matter) are good with donating blood, you may be able to score a free antibody test out of donating for regular blood needs right now. If you pop positive, you might be able to help by donating plasma which is awesome. If you come back negative, at least you know it to the extent that the tests are reliable and you've donated some blood that will help somebody when they need it. Heck, I'd even be good with somebody receiving @Brian Ilten's convalescent plasma.

I don't know if the free antibody testing is everywhere, but it's offered here in south Texas.

Please do this if you can.

Quick question. Am I able to secure an agreement with the blood collectors that my blood is to only be used on POC? 

11 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

For @Lhalo

A seven-year-old boy from Georgia with no underlying health conditions became the youngest person in the state to die from coronavirus, a day after president Donald Trump said children are “almost immune from the disease”.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-seven-old-dies-coronavirus-133005361.html

The kid had a seizure and fell in the shower. He had 0 symptoms before this happened. I’m calling bullshit.