• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

13 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Holy cow did you guys know that Kyle McGowin was up in the majors this year and got his first major league win? He actually made his debut in 2018. I had no idea.

after this, he got sorta torched in his final 3 appearances giving up 6er and 2hrs in 3.2ip.  

he's also about a month away from being 29 years old.  

the 2013 draft was a monster for the Halos

Hunter Green, Keynan Middleton, Elliot Morris, Kyle McGowin, Alan Busenitz, Mike Hermosillo.  I remember being pretty high on Jonah Wesley after his A ball performance at age 20.  

14 hours ago, Second Base said:

@Inside Pitch Doc's right about Kochanowicz though. I was never as high on the others as I am with him. Typically, I rely on my own judgment, and while I liked the videos I've seen so far, it was specifically a scout that swayed me on this one. They're known to exaggerate, but throwing out, "He'd go 1-1 in three years unless he gets an above slot bonus." is one of those things that tends to stick. 

That and this is the second report in the last year that confirms he's touching upper-90's with his fastball. 

I remember you saying you had heard certain things either prior to or right after he was drafted.. then later that summer if you recall I had someone telling me he was touching 97 and making it look easy.  It was really interesting too but someone at the Athletic that was covering the minors at the time very low key said he was his favorite dark horse prospect in the draft, mostly echoing what you and I had heard that he was already good and there was reason to believe he was going to be a lot more.

Again, the biggest annoyance regarding 2020 wasn't missing the playoffs or the shortened season, it was the lack of a minor league season.  I think we would have seen Koch, Rodriguez and others really turn heads and make a case for themselves.   Ive had three different people tell me that Rodriguez health issues have been overstated, that it was a decision to rest the injury and then the decision to FIX it.  They smartly avoid surgery at hello but ultimately it cost him a second season when they did.  But both years he was working out and throwing so the quality of his stuff was improving.

2021 is going to be a pretty important year for the farm system, everyone's farm really... but for us it's allowed a lot of our guys who were a lot younger than the leagues they were playing at to mature physically.

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

reminds of that guy at the gym who used to bring his own barf bucket. 

I used to have to barf after doing squats in the gym back in the day. Luckily the bathroom was right next to the squat rack. 

I don't know if this was mentioned or worth keeping an eye on, but MLB has updated there top 30. Nothing big, but a few guys moved up.

Kochanowicz is 10, moved up.

Jones moved up to 7, i think he was on the outside of the top 10. 

Holmes is at 20

Maitan back in the top 30, at 24. I'm surprised that he's only 20. Now if he can only wake up and live to his talent. 

1 hour ago, Fourts said:

Even better that he'd maybe need to get it done sooner rather than later (TJS).  I think saw something recently saying it's about 25-50% (at least) of pitchers now who have had or will have TJS.  It's not necessarily a bad thing anymore draft wise.  

Percy had his own TJS in  1993...

The lively fastball that sat in the 90-93-mph range and touched 95 when he signed is now touching 97 with good ride and has the potential to be a swing-and-miss pitch.

Kochanowicz generates good spin on his low-80s curveball, which should improve with added strength and velocity, and he has a good feel for an upper-80s changeup with depth. His delivery is athletic and relatively fluid, and he generates plenty of downhill plane with his height and high three-quarters arm slot. And the Angels love his work ethic.

Dream alternative universe, there's no Rona, and Kochanowicz shows up in Spring firing BB's like he was, and the Angels start him on Burlington as a 19 year old. With his cold weather background, arsenal and control, he'd have made quick work of the Midwest League and would be in the Cal League, still at age 19.

His performance there would more than warrant promotion. He'd open 2021 as a 20 year old in AA and would easily be a top 50 prospect. He'd spend most of the year in AA in 2021 until July or August. The Angels suddenly find themselves fighting for the division crown and move on from Heaney and whatever #6 starter Minasian dreams up and instead infuse Detmers and Kochanowicz into the rotation for their stretch run, like the Marlins did with Sixto. 

A guy can dream....

The more realistic outcome would be that he would've spent 2020 in extended spring training and then Orem, not Arizona and would open 2021 in Burlington. 

You guys know I've been on the K-Train for a while, and I believe he'll be a top 100 prospect within the next year.

Edited by Second Base

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Dream alternative universe, there's no Rona, and Kochanowicz shows up in Spring firing BB's like he was, and the Angels start him on Burlington as a 19 year old. With his cold weather background, arsenal and control, he'd have made quick work of the Midwest League and would be in the Cal League, still at age 19.

His performance there would more than warrant promotion. He'd open 2021 as a 20 year old in AA and would easily be a top 50 prospect. He'd spend most of the year in AA in 2021 until July or August. The Angels suddenly find themselves fighting for the division crown and move on from Heaney and whatever #6 starter Minasian dreams up and instead infuse Detmers and Kochanowicz into the rotation for their stretch run, like the Marlins did with Sixto. 

A guy can dream....

The more realistic outcome would be that he would've spent 2020 in extended spring training and then Orem, not Arizona and would open 2021 in Burlington. 

You guys know I've been on the K-Train for a while, and I believe he'll be a top 100 prospect within the next year.

Read somewhere that Orem & Burlington are  both on the chopping block list. And if there is a minor league season, he would probably start out in Sn Berdo.

15 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Read somewhere that Orem & Burlington are  both on the chopping block list. And if there is a minor league season, he would probably start out in Sn Berdo.

I think the Pioneer League (and hence Orem) is for sure gone.  I think each team will have 4 minor league teams (AAA, AA, hi-A, low-A), an Arizona complex team, and a DSL team.  So I do think Orem is gone.  Likewise, I think they are restructuring teams and systems.  I think there's going to be a lot of changes to the minor leagues next year, assuming it isn't canceled...