• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

Baseball Prospectus released there top 10 list.

1. Marsh

2. Adams

3. Detmers

4. Paris

5. Rodriguez

6. Jackson

7. Knowles

8. Kochanowicz

9. Martinez

10. Placencia 

A few things;

There really high on Marsh and think that he could have a plus (60) hit tool. He a plus defender, so not a surprise.

There also high on Rodriguez, if he's healthy he's a front of the rotation arm.

i guess the Surprise here is Martinez being in the top 10.  

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. Marsh

2. Adams

3. Detmers

4. Paris

5. Rodriguez

6. Jackson

7. Knowles

8. Kochanowicz

9. Martinez

10. Placencia 

A few things;

There really high on Marsh and think that he could have a plus (60) hit tool. He a plus defender, so not a surprise.

For me, the surprise is Knowles. He's decent in what I've seen, but I haven't heard from a single source, Angels or otherwise, or read anything that indicates he's anything more than a 4th outfielder type. 

Orlando Martinez always should've been ranked higher. One of the best under 18 amateurs to ever come out of Cuba. He got overshadowed by more toolsy players, like Luis Robert, and for good reason, but the numbers spoke for themselves. From age 15 on until his defection, no one out-hit Martinez. But the consensus was he matured early, which I think is pretty accurate. Still, power is the last tool to develop and if the power numbers are real, then Martinez is a borderline starting outfielder in the major leagues. We'll see.

Also, a little surprised to see they ranked Placencia over Vera, Bonilla and Ramirez. I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just surprised.

55 minutes ago, Second Base said:

For me, the surprise is Knowles. He's decent in what I've seen, but I haven't heard from a single source, Angels or otherwise, or read anything that indicates he's anything more than a 4th outfielder type. 

Orlando Martinez always should've been ranked higher. One of the best under 18 amateurs to ever come out of Cuba. He got overshadowed by more toolsy players, like Luis Robert, and for good reason, but the numbers spoke for themselves. From age 15 on until his defection, no one out-hit Martinez. But the consensus was he matured early, which I think is pretty accurate. Still, power is the last tool to develop and if the power numbers are real, then Martinez is a borderline starting outfielder in the major leagues. We'll see.

Also, a little surprised to see they ranked Placencia over Vera, Bonilla and Ramirez. I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just surprised.

I'm big time surprised by this.  It's either that they had a chance to see him and were impressed or they're just throwing shit against the wall.  Kind of a reach if they didn't have any specific info.  

Also, it's kinda like Paris is that sneaky prospect for us that gets very little fanfare for now but has been consistently in the top 5 on pretty much everyone's list.  Not sure if that's more pedigree related or if people are actually seeing stuff.  Probably a little of both.  I get a bit of a Howie vibe from him.  He's been in the system for a year and a half and just turned 19.  While it might not happen right away, I could see him getting some time in low-A in 2021.  I've got him at the top of my mover and shaker list for the coming season along with Kochanowicz.  

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. Marsh

2. Adams

3. Detmers

4. Paris

5. Rodriguez

6. Jackson

7. Knowles

8. Kochanowicz

9. Martinez

10. Placencia 

A few things;

*They're

Orlando Martinez seems like another Brennon Lund to me. He could catch on as a platoon guy or a 4th outfielder, but as a regular I think he'd be mediocre.

I guess Adell is no longer a prospect as he's exceeded 45 days on the active roster - a new rule for 2020.

A few players who could have snuck into the last spot or two of the top 10: Jahmai Jones (still a rookie, more valuable than Martinez, imo), Yan, A Ramirez, Rivera x2 (Erik and Jose), Calabrese, Deveaux, Holmes, etc. Soriano if he was still an Angel.

One guy that seems to be forgotten about is Oliver Ortega. I could see him making the team as a useful pitcher sometime in 2021. Not top 10, but has good stuff and is a bit of a sleeper, imo.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Orlando Martinez seems like another Brennon Lund to me. He could catch on as a platoon guy or a 4th outfielder, but as a regular I think he'd be mediocre.

I guess Adell is no longer a prospect as he's exceeded 45 days on the active roster - a new rule for 2020.

A few players who could have snuck into the last spot or two of the top 10: Jahmai Jones (still a rookie, more valuable than Martinez, imo), Yan, A Ramirez, Rivera x2 (Erik and Jose), Calabrese, Deveaux, Holmes, etc. Soriano if he was still an Angel.

One guy that seems to be forgotten about is Oliver Ortega. I could see him making the team as a useful pitcher sometime in 2021. Not top 10, but has good stuff and is a bit of a sleeper, imo.

lund has way less upside.  If Martinez develops legit power, he's an actual prospect because he can hit, take a walk and play CF.  right now he's probably still a guy that hits 7 hrs.  But if he can hit 18?  Maybe he becomes a launch angle darling.  

Personally I think that Kochanowicz should be 7 and that 8 - whatever are all fairly interchangeable.  

Any of the top 7 (my top 7) could be top 50 prospects by the middle or end of 2021.  They likely won't but they could very well jump into the top 100.  Vera is a guy that could also be in that top group actually.  The rest in Yan, Ramirez, Jones, Knowles, Holmes, Deveaux, Franco, Calabrese, Placencia, Martinez could jump a bit.  Then there's the next crew in Hernandez, Blakely, Ortega, Bonilla, Aquino maybe Rivera, Pina, and Tapia as well.  Who could move up considerably but are less likely to.  (Hernandez could be in that 2nd group as could Blakely and Bonilla).  

My sleeper for 2021 is Davis Daniel.  After that, my other super under the radar guys are Van Scoyoc, Jenrry Gonzalez, Adrian Rondon, and Jose Reyes.  

We better have minor league baseball next year god dammit!!!

I think it's important to delineate between top prospect list, and minor leaguers that will have the best major league career. It seems like splitting hairs, but it's essentially the difference between Oliver Ortega being on a top prospects list and not having any recognition.

He really hasn't done enough to justify a high ranking, but I think eventually he'll be shifted to relief and emerge as a middle reliever that throws nearly triple digits and can go a couple innings. That career will likely have greater significance than that of a 4th outfielder like Knowles or Martinez, despite both being rightfully ranked higher.

23 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think it's important to delineate between top prospect list, and minor leaguers that will have the best major league career. It seems like splitting hairs, but it's essentially the difference between Oliver Ortega being on a top prospects list and not having any recognition.

He really hasn't done enough to justify a high ranking, but I think eventually he'll be shifted to relief and emerge as a middle reliever that throws nearly triple digits and can go a couple innings. That career will likely have greater significance than that of a 4th outfielder like Knowles or Martinez, despite both being rightfully ranked higher.

hence the reason that some teams target high upside arms.  There's a fall back position.  

also probably the reason why Eppler and co. targeted athletic position players - because they may have been overlooked and undervalued.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

lund has way less upside.  If Martinez develops legit power, he's an actual prospect because he can hit, take a walk and play CF.  right now he's probably still a guy that hits 7 hrs.  But if he can hit 18?  Maybe he becomes a launch angle darling.  

Personally I think that Kochanowicz should be 7 and that 8 - whatever are all fairly interchangeable.  

Any of the top 7 (my top 7) could be top 50 prospects by the middle or end of 2021.  They likely won't but they could very well jump into the top 100.  Vera is a guy that could also be in that top group actually.  The rest in Yan, Ramirez, Jones, Knowles, Holmes, Deveaux, Franco, Calabrese, Placencia, Martinez could jump a bit.  Then there's the next crew in Hernandez, Blakely, Ortega, Bonilla, Aquino maybe Rivera, Pina, and Tapia as well.  Who could move up considerably but are less likely to.  (Hernandez could be in that 2nd group as could Blakely and Bonilla).  

My sleeper for 2021 is Davis Daniel.  After that, my other super under the radar guys are Van Scoyoc, Jenrry Gonzalez, Adrian Rondon, and Jose Reyes.  

We better have minor league baseball next year god dammit!!!

My rough rankings would probably be:

1: Marsh

2: Adams

3-4: Detmers, Rodriguez in some order

5: Paris

6-8: Kochanowicz, Jackson, Vera in some order

9-16: Ramirez, Calabrese, Holmes, Yan, J Rivera, Jones, Deveaux, Knowles in some order

17-30ish: Placencia, Franco, E Rivera, Bonilla, Ortega, Martinez, Blakely, Pina, Seminaris, Salvador, Daniel, Aquino, Rondon, Reyes, etc.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:17 PM, Angelsjunky said:

My rough rankings would probably be:

1: Marsh

2: Adams

3-4: Detmers, Rodriguez in some order

5: Paris

6-8: Kochanowicz, Jackson, Vera in some order

9-16: Ramirez, Calabrese, Holmes, Yan, J Rivera, Jones, Deveaux, Knowles in some order

17-30ish: Placencia, Franco, E Rivera, Bonilla, Ortega, Martinez, Blakely, Pina, Seminaris, Salvador, Daniel, Aquino, Rondon, Reyes, etc.

that's pretty much exactly what I would have.  It's fun to have a bunch of guys outside the top 15 who have some serious upside and could shoot up the chart in a hurry.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

https://homeplateview.com/2020/12/30/angels-prospect-comparisons/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Side by side comparisons of Angels minor leaguers and MLB players.

Enjoy!

That's gotta be one of the funnest things I've read all year. Yeah, I know comps can be lazy, and he expressed that, but I love the simplicity and entertainment value of it. It may have been this last year or two years ago, but when we were putting together the top prospect list and I wanted to breaks each prospect down to ceiling, floor and likely outcome. The reason behind it is because it becomes such a neat packaged product. There is a lot of bloggers out there that played a little ball after high school as many of us probably side here, that can break things apart and assess these kids piece by piece. 

And that's great, but there's something to be said for someone that can present complicated material in a simple fashion. 

I particularly enjoyed the Buxton-Adams and Zito-Detmers side by sides. That was cool.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

That's gotta be one of the funnest things I've read all year. Yeah, I know comps can be lazy, and he expressed that, but I love the simplicity and entertainment value of it. It may have been this last year or two years ago, but when we were putting together the top prospect list and I wanted to breaks each prospect down to ceiling, floor and likely outcome. The reason behind it is because it becomes such a neat packaged product. There is a lot of bloggers out there that played a little ball after high school as many of us probably side here, that can break things apart and assess these kids piece by piece. 

And that's great, but there's something to be said for someone that can present complicated material in a simple fashion. 

I particularly enjoyed the Buxton-Adams and Zito-Detmers side by sides. That was cool.

Yep, glad you got the same vibe I did out of it. Just fun to see those.

Just now, ScruffytheJanitor said:

The only one that really confused me was the Wolf-Seminaris comp. Besides being lefties, their form didn't really match at all. 

Yep, I agree.  That was seemed odd to me too.   Other than both of them sort of sling-shotting the ball, they didn't really look all that similar.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yep, I agree.  That was seemed odd to me too.   Other than both of them sort of sling-shotting the ball, they didn't really look all that similar.

Howdy, new here to Angels Win. Someone sent me a link to this page and I found it interesting. Thank you for the kind words and enjoying the piece. As for the Wolf/Seminaris comparison: It was one of two that did not come from a scout and it actually came from the Long Beach State coach who played with Wolf. It was hard finding video of Wolf in his younger years, but I did find this side-by-side I made right after the draft that is a tad clearer (

Seminaris is definitely the better athlete of the pair between the stages of life in the side-by-sides, but I understand your confusion. It was definitely a challenge to make it close. Thanks again for the kind words.

Since so many have linked your tweets it is kind of funny you haven't been a member for years. Welcome aboard but remember this is like hanging out with a bunch of drunk friends and friends of those drunk friends then a few malcontents at the end of the bar arguing over the value of Babhip while some think it has to do pitching and others Kate Upton's modeling career.

FantasticLinearBuzzard-max-1mb.gif

Guess which is the correct answer?