• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm sure this was posted at some point already, but I thought I'd share it.  Werner Blakely scouting vid.  

nice looking swing.  moves like a MIF with a very quick transfer.  

That's a Griffey BP swing. Looks pretty but with that hitch and the drifting hands, I doubt he can use it against competition beyond high school. I'd like to see what it looks like in-game against better competition, scouting tournaments, etc...

FWIW, I've seen his name pop up for two years now, so there must be a reason why. 

And as for the defense, he looks like a shortstop to me but I wonder if his home would ultimately be 3B. He's looks bigger than most shortstops.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's a Griffey BP swing. Looks pretty but with that hitch and the drifting hands, I doubt he can use it against competition beyond high school. I'd like to see what it looks like in-game against better competition, scouting tournaments, etc...

FWIW, I've seen his name pop up for two years now, so there must be a reason why. 

And as for the defense, he looks like a shortstop to me but I wonder if his home would ultimately be 3B. He's looks bigger than most shortstops.

he certainly moves more like a SS and his feet are quick.  he's got that thing where he drags them once in awhile which I'm sure the halos will make go away.  He is very tall for the proto SS but he moves so well I'm no sure it will be a problem unless he really fills out his frame.  

there's some stuff to clean up in his swing but it's pretty fluid.  I feel like we see those types of hitches all the time with HS guys.  

overall, he looked way less raw than I expected for a 4th round HS SS.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he certainly moves more like a SS and his feet are quick.  he's got that thing where he drags them once in awhile which I'm sure the halos will make go away.  He is very tall for the proto SS but he moves so well I'm no sure it will be a problem unless he really fills out his frame.  

there's some stuff to clean up in his swing but it's pretty fluid.  I feel like we see those types of hitches all the time with HS guys.  

Definitely. I look at the body type, movement and swing and immediately think first or second round.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

never know how much to believe from reddit, but the vids above sure seemed like he was bringing a little more heat than what I'd heard he was capable.  I also watched a couple older videos of him making guys look silly in college and that breaker is different.  The one he's throwing now isn't that rainbow curve he was known for.  

Is it possible that they had Detmers scrap the slow bender? That would be interesting because scouts had that as a potential plus-plus pitch. Or they are just having him work on a second harder breaking ball to go along with this fastball, change and curve? Also if the velocity jump is legit and can creep up a mile per hour or two even higher to 94-95, how does a ceiling of Max Fried sound? They've both got solid control and a rainbow curve in the low-mid 70's. Fried also has a pretty tight slider as well that might compare to the breaking ball Detmers has been throwing in Long Beach.

Edited by rafibomb

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If he is coachable, there is a lot to like about this kid.  For me, who is not involved in player development or scouting, he looks inefficient with his movements and footwork when fielding and throwing.  There are a couple of times where his balance is out of sync and has to take another step before he throws.  I would like to have more reps to his backhand side to see his arm strength.  Last, it looks like he has little instruction on his defense and lots on his hitting.

The real question is..........Is he better than Baldoquin the Great?

9 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Is it possible that they had Detmers scrap the slow bender? That would be interesting because scouts had that as a potential plus-plus pitch. Or they are just having him work on a second harder breaking ball to go along with this fastball, change and curve? Also if the velocity jump is legit and can creep up a mile per hour or two even higher to 94-95, how does a ceiling of Max Fried sound? They've both got solid control and a rainbow curve in the low-mid 70's. Fried also has a pretty tight slider as well that might compare to the breaking ball Detmers has been throwing in Long Beach.

if he's truly at 93-95 with excellent control, then his ceiling is much higher that originally thought.  The other big question mark for him is that third pitch.  Will the change develop?  I think the floor is still the same as a #4.  

5 hours ago, eligrba said:

If he is coachable, there is a lot to like about this kid.  For me, who is not involved in player development or scouting, he looks inefficient with his movements and footwork when fielding and throwing.  There are a couple of times where his balance is out of sync and has to take another step before he throws.  I would like to have more reps to his backhand side to see his arm strength.  Last, it looks like he has little instruction on his defense and lots on his hitting.

The real question is..........Is he better than Baldoquin the Great?

the ability looks to be there defensively for my eye test.  Any of the stuff you've mentioned is correctable with reps.  I think his D is ahead of that swing personally.  It's nice and fluid.  Relatively quiet for a high schooler.  I don't can't tell from that brief look whether a decent breaking ball will own him.  

22 hours ago, Second Base said:

I like his bat speed and extension thru the zone. What i don't like is that long stride. Makes him vulnerable against change ups. By eliminating that stride, it will keep his center of gravity. Which should help his power.

Regarding Detmers and him throwing 93-95, i probably won't beleive the reddit post, until i see some one else (scouts...etc) claim the same report. But, the only reason i posted it herem, was the fact from the vidoes that we've seen, There was life on the pitch, second Detmers was reportly hitting 95 this season before covid. Lastly, it' not common to see a guys throwing harder with us. One of the key things i noticed in that reddit post, was the mention of Detmers changing his mechanics, we've seen guys do that in out system, so i think this is certain a possiability anc might explain the increase in Velo. 

5 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Regarding Detmers and him throwing 93-95, i probably won't beleive the reddit post, until i see some one else (scouts...etc) claim the same report. But, the only reason i posted it herem, was the fact from the vidoes that we've seen, There was life on the pitch, second Detmers was reportly hitting 95 this season before covid. Lastly, it' not common to see a guys throwing harder with us. One of the key things i noticed in that reddit post, was the mention of Detmers changing his mechanics, we've seen guys do that in out system, so i think this is certain a possiability anc might explain the increase in Velo. 

I would say it is very common for guys to gain velocity after being drafted by us or anyone really.

7 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Top 20 prospect list for Prospects Worldwide with an extensive write-up for each player. Good read for all you prospect junkies. This farm system will be VERY exciting to monitor next season.

https://prospectsworldwide.com/2020/10/15/angels-2020-top-20-prospects/

While the write-up is full of spelling or grammatical errors, I respect where the writer is coming from. It's a ton of work putting these lists together and I'm very appreciative.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:20 AM, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I know there wasn't a Milb season, and we really couldn't determine our prospects. But watching the world series, and seeing what Freddie freeman has been  doing and throughout his career. That got me thinking about Marsh, how about a freeman comp for him? 

I was prepared to tell you that'd be impossible but looking at Freeman's career numbers and trajectory and wow, I can actually see Marsh hitting those numbers if everything breaks right for him. Can you imagine if one of our top prospects actually hit their ceiling? I feel like it's gna happen sooner or later with this next wave of prospects coming up. After watching the playoffs I've come up with Michael Brantley as a comp for him. 

Even in the scouting videos from high school you could tell there was really something there with Kochanowicz. I don't have too many industry sources left. They've gone to other teams or have since retired, but I was told by one that he firmly believed that Kochanowicz was going to go 1-1 in a couple years if the Angels didn't go significantly above slot in their bonus. And I think that's accurate. If he stays healthy and develops the way most 19-21 year olds do physically with better training and coaching, he's going to be toeing the slab at Angel Stadium by the time he's 22. 

Edited by Second Base