• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

good to see him flash on the radar.  Curious if Perry and his team will continue with the two way player thing.  

Rivera was one of those guys who you might see pop up 3-5 years after he's drafted as he was raw as raw could be.  My guess is that he's still pretty raw but those tools are actually translating into something for us to dream on.  Wouldn't surprise me to see them make him focus on pitching only from now on.  

While I know Eppler really coveted drafting possible two-way players, I do hope that under Minasian, we just get back to emphasizing one trait instead of both.

I think we have seen with Ohtani how difficult it is to do both at a high level.  It's unique and pretty neat to see, but it's a really difficult sport.  Sure, if he can hit decently enough, maybe he can enter the equation as a possible pinch-hitter down the line every now and then.  However, in the minors, if he can pitch fairly well, I'd rather just have him focus on that, especially given how acute our needs are on the pitching front.

3 hours ago, sportstr44 said:

Well, that's a start.  Detmers and Rodriguez could be on the cusp.  I would expect both to spend the majority of their time in AA this year, with some time in AAA depending on how things pan out.  Hopefully, we can see them become significant factors by the 2022 season, would definitely go a long way towards helping our pitching issues.

In terms of "stuff," Ohtani and Rodriguez both appear to have top-of-the-rotation caliber stuff, it's just an issue of remaining healthy.  Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Detmers all can fit the category of solid mid-rotation caliber starters.  Barria, Suarez, Sandoval all seem to fit into the category of backend caliber SPs.

7 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Well, that's a start.  Detmers and Rodriguez could be on the cusp.  I would expect both to spend the majority of their time in AA this year, with some time in AAA depending on how things pan out.  Hopefully, we can see them become significant factors by the 2022 season, would definitely go a long way towards helping our pitching issues.

In terms of "stuff," Ohtani and Rodriguez both appear to have top-of-the-rotation caliber stuff, it's just an issue of remaining healthy.  Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Detmers all can fit the category of solid mid-rotation caliber starters.  Barria, Suarez, Sandoval all seem to fit into the category of backend caliber SPs.

I think this is about right, although I secretly imagine a world in which Sandoval has Heaney-esque upside.

Of other prospects, I'd put Kochanowicz in the potential top category, but he's quite a ways away. Soriano and Yan both could end up in the middle category in a best-case scenario, but are probably more likely bullpen pieces.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think this is about right, although I secretly imagine a world in which Sandoval has Heaney-esque upside.

Of other prospects, I'd put Kochanowicz in the potential top category, but he's quite a ways away. Soriano and Yan both could end up in the middle category in a best-case scenario, but are probably more likely bullpen pieces.

Eppler and Co still did a very nice job of keeping and/or bringing in a fair amount of talent into this org.  I hope that Minasian keeps that part of Eppler's infrastructure intact and adds to it as he moves forward.  They did a very nice job on the amateur scouting side of things and I know that people get all twisted up about him not drafting pitchers, but position players, pitchers, catchers, whatever.  I can't stop people from acting as if it's realistic to think we should have drafted Dakota Hudson or some other first rounder in 2016 but he at least there is way more than there was when he got here.  

Hopefully, Minasian and probably as importantly, Tamin, can bridge that major league gap because that's really the main thing that has been missing.  

Outside of the Will Wilson pick, they've added talent and potential (ie valuable assets) with their top 2 if not all the way down to 5.  Plus a mess of high upside guys on the intl side.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Eppler and Co still did a very nice job of keeping and/or bringing in a fair amount of talent into this org.  I hope that Minasian keeps that part of Eppler's infrastructure intact and adds to it as he moves forward.  They did a very nice job on the amateur scouting side of things and I know that people get all twisted up about him not drafting pitchers, but position players, pitchers, catchers, whatever.  I can't stop people from acting as if it's realistic to think we should have drafted Dakota Hudson or some other first rounder in 2016 but he at least there is way more than there was when he got here.  

Hopefully, Minasian and probably as importantly, Tamin, can bridge that major league gap because that's really the main thing that has been missing.  

Outside of the Will Wilson pick, they've added talent and potential (ie valuable assets) with their top 2 if not all the way down to 5.  Plus a mess of high upside guys on the intl side.  

Yeah.  Eppler inherited an absolute mess in terms of the farm system, and without the luxury of a sell-off, there was no way for us to restock the farm system quickly.

He did a decent job of bringing in talent.  I don't think he was necessarily that great at it, and I think more importantly, there seemed to be more struggles when minor leaguers reached the majors as compared to other organizations, which suggests to me it isn't so much player drafting/scouting that was the issue as much as it was the player development aspects of things.

Minasian and Tamin are coming from fantastic player development systems, and both played very key roles in those processes.  I am optimistic that they'll utilize the talent they have and help them develop better.

One aspect of Eppler’s tenure that will always stand out to me is that he basically lost/cost the Angels zero prospects over his time here. 

After he moved Newcomb, he virtually didn’t trade anyone really worth anything, and managed to bring back a number of decent minor leaguers and a couple useful major leaguers in that time. 

Will Wilson is about it otherwise. Followed by guys like Kyle Bradish, Kyle McGowin, Austin Adams, Jeremy Beasley, Elvin Rodriguez...nothing that seems on the surface a big of a loss. 

Personlly this how i see out pitching prospects ranked.

I've always liked Rodriguez and viewed him as a top of rotation arm.

1. Rodriguez: 1/2

2. Detemers: 2/3

3. Kochanowicz: we still have to see him pitch in a professional setting, nut he has the stuff and tools to be a front of the rotation arm

4. Yan: i think he ends up becoming a Bp arm

5. Soriano. I think time is running out, and his lack of control, might make him a Bp arm. Next year might be important.  

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah.  Eppler inherited an absolute mess in terms of the farm system, and without the luxury of a sell-off, there was no way for us to restock the farm system quickly.

He did a decent job of bringing in talent.  I don't think he was necessarily that great at it, and I think more importantly, there seemed to be more struggles when minor leaguers reached the majors as compared to other organizations, which suggests to me it isn't so much player drafting/scouting that was the issue as much as it was the player development aspects of things.

Minasian and Tamin are coming from fantastic player development systems, and both played very key roles in those processes.  I am optimistic that they'll utilize the talent they have and help them develop better.

Hopefully people will eventually see the good with the bad of Eppler, rather than just the knee-jerk "Eppler sucks." He did some good things, especially with regards to building the farm from crap to on the verge of pretty good. I suspect that, as prospects start making an impact over the next few years, people will have a better sense of his contribution.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

One aspect of Eppler’s tenure that will always stand out to me is that he basically lost/cost the Angels zero prospects over his time here. 

After he moved Newcomb, he virtually didn’t trade anyone really worth anything, and managed to bring back a number of decent minor leaguers and a couple useful major leaguers in that time. 

Will Wilson is about it otherwise. Followed by guys like Kyle Bradish, Kyle McGowin, Austin Adams, Jeremy Beasley, Elvin Rodriguez...nothing that seems on the surface a big of a loss. 

Will Wilson is still a bit baffling. He could turn into a decent fringe regular or solid platoon player, but they Angels just didn't need that sort of infielder. When there's no clear pick to take, why not just go for the best pitching prospect available? Anyhow, that's over three years ago, and at least it cleared a few bucks to sign Gerrit Cole.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Will Wilson is still a bit baffling. He could turn into a decent fringe regular or solid platoon player, but they Angels just didn't need that sort of infielder. When there's no clear pick to take, why not just go for the best pitching prospect available? Anyhow, that's over three years ago, and at least it cleared a few bucks to sign Gerrit Cole.

Yeah I figure they had become a little less excited about him and wanted the money freed up, even if it inevitably didn’t make much difference in what they spent. 

Kyren Paris cost $100k over-slot, Kochanowicz was estimated around $600k over-slot...can’t quickly find what Rivera signed for but he may have been over-slot too. 

By going with Wilson at #1, it might have allowed them to sign those guys. I have a hard time faulting Eppler too much for his draft strategy. Most guys he could have drafted were unlikely to impact the MLB team in his tenure. His strategy really did seem to be go safe at #1 and use the savings to get better guys #2-#5, and then draft cheap college pitchers by volume #6-#10. Given the state of our farm, I think that was the best strategy still. It significantly increased the depth, and I think he intended on being around long enough to eventually see some of those guys turn into legit top prospects (some did) or trade bait to help the MLB club, but his stopgap FA signings and vet trades didn’t pan out and he never had the opportunity.

In the end, I think we will be very thankful for the time Eppler was here. He was sort of dealt a hard hand, but his track record on stopgaps didn’t help him. His efforts on the farm are going to pay big dividends in the next few seasons if Minasian handles it properly.

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Hopefully people will eventually see the good with the bad of Eppler, rather than just the knee-jerk "Eppler sucks." He did some good things, especially with regards to building the farm from crap to on the verge of pretty good. I suspect that, as prospects start making an impact over the next few years, people will have a better sense of his contribution.

We all know that Dipoto was less than good with the farm, but he gets a free pass because the team won a bunch of games.  With Eppler, he took over a total shit farm, and people believe he should have been able to build a farm in 5 years.  The two best players to come out of the farm from Dipoto are Fletcher and Walsh.  Those two were both college players and it took them both, something like 5 years, to make an impact in the majors.  With Walsh it was more like 6-7 years to make an impact.  Eppler drafted high school guys, all within the last 5 years, and they are expected to be up and producing, already.  It is unrealistic expectations from fans.

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

if you follow the Chris Rodriguez link, there is also an article about Yan from August which I must have missed.  

Deception with 92-95 and touching 98 with the fastball.  Wipe out slider.  

The Angels sent lefthander Hector Yan to their alternate training camp at Long Beach State this summer with one goal: find the strike zone more often.

Yan, 21, had a breakout season at low Class A Burlington in 2019. He went 4-5, 3.39 and finished second in the Midwest League with 148 strikeouts—the most in the Angels' system. But that also came with a walk rate of 4.3 batters per nine innings, actually an improvement over his career average.

Through the opening weeks of camp, it was so far, so good.

“He’s in the strike zone, which with Hector is what you’re mainly looking for,” Angels minor league field coordinator Chad Tracy said. “This kid has such good stuff, and the arm angle with which he steps across, all these different things make him deceptive. He’s been in the strike zone very consistently here, and he makes it tough on hitters when he’s doing that.”

Yan, who signed for $80,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2015, has some of the best stuff in the system. His fastball sits 92-95 mph and touches 98, and he backs it up with a wipeout slider scouts rave about.

It all comes out of a funky, low-three quarters arm slot and deceptive, crossfire delivery that makes him difficult for hitters to square up. Opposing batters hit just .190 against Yan last year, lowest among qualified starters in the Midwest League.

“He’s not an easy target as far as lining up where that fastball is going to land with where he throws it from,” Tracy said. “It makes it really tough on hitters.”

The Angels added Yan to their 40-man roster last offseason. He pitched against Angels big leaguers during an intrasquad game and showed his potential, drawing four weak ground balls and retiring five of the six batters he faced—with no walks.

If he can keep throwing strikes, the Angels expect to see more of that in the years ahead.

“He’s still young enough that he’s learning how to pitch,” Tracy said. “As he continues to learn and couple that with his stuff, he’s going to get better and better.”

9 hours ago, Warfarin said:

This is very unlikely to be a true statement.  It's way more likely that a lack of performance from young or rookie players has way more to do with the fact that guys were likely pushed up before they were ready.  Out of necessity to support some awful performances at the major league level or injuries.  When Harvey, Teheran, Cahill, Bour and others suck.  Or Simmons and Upton get injured etc.  

When Canning, Barria and Sandoval were starting last year, they were three of the four youngest starters in MLB at that point.  

I think it's even still a big stretch to make that conclusion about the development process considering that most rookies struggle on all teams.