• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

Of all the horrible things about this shortened season I think the lack of minor leagues might have been the hardest for me to accept. I loved looking at the box scores and highlights at the end of every day and seeing how our farm is doing. I wish they would have been able to televise or record any of the scrimmage games they had in Long Beach. 

I know the 2020 season didn't go as plan and 2020 itself was, well, just shit. But next year i think may be the year that we have been waiting for a while. We're finally about to see a solid blend of talent reaching the Main roster, which we have haven't had in awhile. We could potntailly have 4-5 guys helping out next year, if everything goes as plan! 

On the position side, we'll have Adell and Marsh up!

I know Adell has struggled, but he has all the tools to suceed. Everyone struggles, Trout struggled, Harpers still struggles, the next "Mike Trout" Luis Roberts flat out fell of the word, with how bad he's been playing. I expect Adell to come into nexxt year, as a better player and with a fight!

Marsh, can't wait to see him, either in the outfield or 1st basemann.

Plus, the turn arounds that Walsh and Ward were able to do, was a big postive! 

On the pitching side, this is where the juice is! 

Protential guys to help the 2021 roster (from most to least) 

!.  Detemers

2. Rodriguez (X) 

3. Naughton

4. Yan 

5. Stallings

6. Ortega  

7. Suarez 

8. Soriano 

Those are alot of names, and we haven't seen surplus of this many pitcher coming up. 

Detemers, Rodriguez, Naughton Stalling could potnetially be called up in the mildde of next season, to fill in the rotation. Detemers and Rodriguez are the big names, and the potential to 3s or better. Rodriguez could be the x-factor with his upside. While Naughton and Stalling stablizing the rotation by beeing the 4/5 guys iff needed. 

Guys like Yan, Oretga, Suarez could be in the Bp. Yan stuff i would say has the chance to really good in the bp, he's still young and has issue with command. What, with a potential plus Fastball and Curve he could be a weapon. Oretage had upper 90s Fastball, with a plus slider and is the closet out of this group in making the Majors! Suarez is a question mark, he has the stuff to start, but has struggled, so a move to the Bp could be a consideration. 

Soraino, returning from Tj is going to behind, but could potentially move up the system quick.      

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I know the 2020 season didn't go as plan and 2020 itself was, well, just shit. But next year i think may be the year that we have been waiting for a while. We're finally about to see a solid blend of talent reaching the Main roster, which we have haven't had in awhile. We could potntailly have 4-5 guys helping out next year, if everything goes as plan! 

I know Adell has struggled, but he has all the tools to suceed. Everyone struggles, Trout struggled, Harpers still struggles, the next "Mike Trout" Luis Roberts flat out fell of the word, with how bad he's been playing. I expect Adell to come into nexxt year, as a better player and with a fight!

!.  Detemers

2. Rodriguez (X) 

3. Naughton

4. Yan 

5. Stallings

6. Ortega  

7. Suarez 

8. Soriano 

Those are alot of names, and we haven't seen surplus of this many pitcher coming up. 

Detemers, Rodriguez, Naughton Stalling could potnetially be called up in the mildde of next season, to fill in the rotation. Detemers and Rodriguez are the big names, and the potential to 3s or better. Rodriguez could be the x-factor with his upside. While Naughton and Stalling stablizing the rotation by beeing the 4/5 guys iff needed. 

Guys like Yan, Oretga, Suarez could be in the Bp. Yan stuff i would say has the chance to really good in the bp, he's still young and has issue with command. What, with a potential plus Fastball and Curve he could be a weapon. Oretage had upper 90s Fastball, with a plus slider and is the closet out of this group in making the Majors! Suarez is a question mark, he has the stuff to start, but has struggled, so a move to the Bp could be a consideration. 

Soraino, returning from Tj is going to behind, but could potentially move up the system quick.      

Nice post.  Thanks for adding to the minor league thread.  I actually get a little excited when I see a new post.  Only 5 pages of content added during the regular season.  such a bummer.  

I personally think Marsh and Adell will start in the minors next year.   I think this was a nice wake up call for Adell and he's gonna work his ass off this winter to improve his defense and work on his swing.  I bet you that even though outwardly he didn't show much frustration, he was actually pretty embarrassed with his performance.  

As a consequence, we could probably use a veteran 4th OFer unless the Angels get a little creative with putting Walsh or someone else out there (like fletch if we bring back Simmons which I don't think will happen).  

After seeing Detmers plow through some of our best prospects - a few of who have seen major league pitching - and making them all look absolutely over matched, I have become pretty excited about him.  I know it's just sim stuff but damn that was impressive.  I think we'll see him very early on next year and I have some optimism that his upside is better than I expected.  

I am very curious about how they'll move forward with Rodriguez.  His injury still scares me a bit and makes me wonder whether they see him as a starter long term but I agree that he our best chance to have someone internal pitch at the top of a rotation.  He'll probably never be a 200 inning guy but his stuff is for real.  

I don't think I'd be ready to move Suarez to the pen yet.  He's definitely looked like a different guy since his stint in the major last year.  Hopefully, working with Callaway during spring and getting him back to where he was will give him his confidence back.  Even if he has to spend the entire year at AAA in 2021 I'd rather see him stay a starter for now.  He was very good for three years in the minors once he turned a corner and he hasn't even turned 23 yet.  

I think Ortega is a very interesting candidate to move to the pen in that he throws in the upper 90's and has that plus off speed.  My understanding was that his fastball was a bit flat.  If they can work on a cut fastball for him like they did with Mayers, he could be a guy we see as help for the major league club sooner than later.  

Naughton and Stallings I haven't really seen.  Looking forward to it.  

Yan and Soriano are still young.  I don't think they'll abandon them starting as of yet.  Considering that both have only reach A ball.  I think they'll both likely be in A+ next year as starters.  

Overall, I think they're going to keep most of these guys as starters for now and do the waiver thing to improve the pen.  I also wouldn't discount Middleton and Buttrey coming back with better seasons in 2021.  That would be huge.  Maybe they go out at get a guy or two that they spend a little money on this time around.  

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens with our prospects next year, much of it is dependent upon who the GM is. 

If Eppler is still GM: Thaiss, Marsh and Adell will start next year in AAA, along with Chris Rodriguez, Pat Sandoval, Packy Naughton and Jose Suarez. Adams and Jeremiah Jackson in AA, joining him would be Reid Detmers, Garrett Stallings, Hector Yan and Jose Soriano. 

If Eppler isn't the GM: Thaiss is dealt. Marsh is dealt, along with Yan and Stallings. At the trade deadline, Adams would also be dealt. Guys like Sandoval, Ortega and Suarez would almost certainly be shifted to the bullpen. They could be stretched out if needed but in the meantime you could get value from them at the Major League level. 

My guess is Eppler is gone, and the new GM takes inventory, trades from surplus to supplement the major league roster, keeps what he likes and starts making his mark on the makeup of the organization.

7 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

!.  Detemers

2. Rodriguez (X) 

3. Naughton

4. Yan 

5. Stallings

6. Ortega  

7. Suarez 

8. Soriano 

Very nice post.  There's a lot to be hopeful about.

That said, I would prefer not to rush Detmers.  I know he isn't too far off, but I think there is value in having him work on things and trying to maximize his potential, instead of trying to rush him to the big leagues.  I'd rather sign a significant SP, and instead have Detmers be considered Heaney's 2022 replacement.

Rodriguez has a ton of potential, but his injuries concern me.  I'd like to see him continue to develop as a starter, which means he will likely spend most/all of the year in the minors.  I could see him pitching most of the year in AA, with a few starts in AAA, if he stays a SP.  If not, then he could be fast-tracked as a reliever.

I think Naughton will be an intriguing option as a backend SP.  If that doesn't pan out, I think he can be a useful lefty reliever.  Either way, I would expect him to pitch for us in 2021 in some capacity.

Yan .. he spent all of 2019 in low A.  I don't think it's likely we see him in the big leagues by 2021.

Ortega I think projects as a reliever, and the same with Soriano.  

Basically, of your list, I see the following guys pitching for us in the big leagues in 2021:  Suarez, Naughton, and Ortega.

The rest will probably arrive in 2022 or so, depending on health.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Nice post.  Thanks for adding to the minor league thread.  I actually get a little excited when I see a new post.  Only 5 pages of content added during the regular season.  such a bummer.  

I personally think Marsh and Adell will start in the minors next year.   I think this was a nice wake up call for Adell and he's gonna work his ass off this winter to improve his defense and work on his swing.  I bet you that even though outwardly he didn't show much frustration, he was actually pretty embarrassed with his performance.  

As a consequence, we could probably use a veteran 4th OFer unless the Angels get a little creative with putting Walsh or someone else out there (like fletch if we bring back Simmons which I don't think will happen).  

After seeing Detmers plow through some of our best prospects - a few of who have seen major league pitching - and making them all look absolutely over matched, I have become pretty excited about him.  I know it's just sim stuff but damn that was impressive.  I think we'll see him very early on next year and I have some optimism that his upside is better than I expected.  

I am very curious about how they'll move forward with Rodriguez.  His injury still scares me a bit and makes me wonder whether they see him as a starter long term but I agree that he our best chance to have someone internal pitch at the top of a rotation.  He'll probably never be a 200 inning guy but his stuff is for real.  

I don't think I'd be ready to move Suarez to the pen yet.  He's definitely looked like a different guy since his stint in the major last year.  Hopefully, working with Callaway during spring and getting him back to where he was will give him his confidence back.  Even if he has to spend the entire year at AAA in 2021 I'd rather see him stay a starter for now.  He was very good for three years in the minors once he turned a corner and he hasn't even turned 23 yet.  

I think Ortega is a very interesting candidate to move to the pen in that he throws in the upper 90's and has that plus off speed.  My understanding was that his fastball was a bit flat.  If they can work on a cut fastball for him like they did with Mayers, he could be a guy we see as help for the major league club sooner than later.  

Naughton and Stallings I haven't really seen.  Looking forward to it.  

Yan and Soriano are still young.  I don't think they'll abandon them starting as of yet.  Considering that both have only reach A ball.  I think they'll both likely be in A+ next year as starters.  

Overall, I think they're going to keep most of these guys as starters for now and do the waiver thing to improve the pen.  I also wouldn't discount Middleton and Buttrey coming back with better seasons in 2021.  That would be huge.  Maybe they go out at get a guy or two that they spend a little money on this time around.  

After seeing Detmers in action in Long Beach what would you say his ceiling is? He was seen as a high floor low ceiling guy but I am under the impression that if Detmers had a full 2020 season under his belt he would've been a surefire top 5 pick and people would see his ceiling much differently. I think we lucked out with the college season getting cut short.

48 strikeouts in 22.0 IP with only 6 walks and a 1.23 ERA

Those numbers are nutty.

Obviously sample size but he easily could have been on his way to a better season than his already dominating sophomore year.

Edited by rafibomb

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

After seeing Detmers in action in Long Beach what would you say his ceiling is? He was seen as a high floor low ceiling guy but I am under the impression that if Detmers had a full 2020 season under his belt he would've been a surefire top 5 pick and people would see his ceiling much differently. I think we lucked out with the college season getting cut short.

48 strikeouts in 22.0 IP with only 6 walks and a 1.23 ERA

Those numbers are nutty.

Obviously sample size but he easily could have been on his way to a better season than his already dominating sophomore year.

seeing that gives me hope that he could be more than a solid three but maybe he was just on that day.  That fastball looked more firm than the 92mph being reported by most publications as his avg.  A couple tics up from that and he's a different guy if he can touch 94-95 with the same control.  And that breaking pitch he was throwing was in no way shape or form the 70mph rainbow curve that they talk about in his scouting reports.  That thing was tight and probably in the low 80's with really good depth.  Not quite a slider.  More like a slurve.  but it was sharp.  It was hard to tell if there was a third pitch he was throwing but a couple times he threw something that started in the middle of the strike zone and end up around the dirt with guys swinging right through it.  I think it was the same breaking ball I just described with different location.  Whatever it was, it was coming out of the same spot as his fastball because no one picked it up.  They were all late on the fastball and then couldn't pick up the breaking ball because it looked like the fastball.  That second video of him in his pen session actually shows it best.  That's just not the secondary pitch he's been described as having.   He supposedly has a solid changeup but I don't think we saw it.  That'll be the key of course as a chase pitch for RHers.    

So a good comp?  Kershaw.  🤣

Seriously though.  Top end?  Corbin or Lester but that's a long shot.  Or how about Jose Quintana.  

If "all" Detmers ends up being is a solid #3, I'll happily take that.  We need a young pitcher like that.

In building the future rotation, I'd like to see us sign Bauer and extend Bundy.  That'll give us a 1/2 punch for years, and if Ohtani can miraculously stay healthy and pitch like he did in 2018, we actually have a 3-headed monster in Bauer, Ohtani, and Bundy in terms of potential.

Then, guys like Detmers, Naughton, Rodriguez, Sandoval, etc can come up and fill in the rest of the rotation, depending on how they perform, and give us great depth.

We aren't far away.  We just need a few of our pitchers to develop to their potential, and we need to push our chips in and bring in Bauer, or some equivalent thereof.  Of note - Syndergaard is a free agent in 2022, so if not Bauer, then perhaps him.

• 2 weeks later...

2020 Los Angeles Angels Instructional League Roster

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-los-angeles-angels-instructional-league-roster/

There were very few surprises among the 39 players whom the Angels brought to their instructional league. For the majority, the group is made up of players who were not at the team's alternate training site (and are not on the 40-man roster) this summer.

There are some exceptions here, of course. Pitchers Reid Detmers, Chris Rodriguez, Denny Brady and Garrett Stallings each spent time at the ATS and now will get even more development. The same goes for infielders Kyren Paris and Jeremiah Jackson.

All four of the team's 2020 draft picks made the cut.

Two notable prospects who were left off the roster (and didn't pitch at the ATS) were righthanders Oliver Ortega and Sadrac Franco, who checked in at No. 17 and No. 22, respectively, on BA's midseason ranking of the Angels' Top 30 prospects.

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 1.05.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 1.05.44 PM.png

13 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I don't know if this was is 100% true, but Determs has reportly changed/altered his delivery and is now throwing 93-95, and  he is one of the best controlled type pitcher in the minors. 

where did u see that?

Nvm found it.

Edited by rafibomb

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

where did u see that?

Nvm found it.

never know how much to believe from reddit, but the vids above sure seemed like he was bringing a little more heat than what I'd heard he was capable.  I also watched a couple older videos of him making guys look silly in college and that breaker is different.  The one he's throwing now isn't that rainbow curve he was known for.