• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Chuck

7 hours ago, Fourts said:

I'd rather take an unsignable guy and roll that pick over to next year....than select a freaking Catcher.  In fact, that might be a good idea considering next year's draft should be loaded with so many guys going back to college or one year JC due to the wack 2020 draft rules and bonus payments.

I hate the idea of taking a catcher in the first.   That's the biggest crap shoot in the draft.  I'm not specifically talking about this kid, maybe he's that rare unicorn that's worth it, but overall it's just iffy.

• 2 weeks later...

a69NyASw_reasonably_small.jpg

Missed this yesterday, but the Angels’ four draft picks were added to the FanGraphs prospects board. Reid Detmers, David Calabrese and Werner Blakely each cracked the list, so see where they line up with other Angels prospects: https://fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-in-season-prospect-list/summary?sort=-1,1&team=laa&type=0&pos=&filter=&pageitems=100&pg=0

• 2 weeks later...

Now with Detmers signed, where do you have him ranked? i think he's 3rd, behind Adell and Marsh.

Along those lines, I've been ready into him a lot, and i'm really liking this pick. At first, like a few other, i was 50/50 on him, but after getting enough knowledge i've changed my mind. One of the things that changed is, the way i view him and his upside. I think a few other's might have been on the same boat. First time reading/watching him, we all heard at best he was a 3, I've gone back and reread some of the articles, and also have read a few other. But, i found was that i totally misread this info.  As more and more info came out, my eyes opened up to make a conclusion. 

His floor is really really big, he's projected to be a 3 and at worst a inning either ERA around high 3s or low 4s, doesn't sound eye poping, but in this day and age, it's value. Now that is his floor, the other side, his ceiling, there still a good ceiling. First of all he's only 20, with more developed on the way, he's at 210, maybe he;s maxed out? but i've read reports that there might be a few more ticks on the Velo. He's shown to improve and velo each year, went from high 80s, to low 90s, and this year he was hitting 95. 

A key comparison to him has been  Mckay of the Rays, he got drafted at 212, sitting around 90-94, last year he made his debut, and his Fastball was 92-97! So i could see a similar uptick in velo for Detmers. Both have the same high, and have the same build.

The Key for Detmers to reach his ceiling, will depend on the development of his Cutter and Changeup. His changeup by a few scout is considered another plus pitch, while other say it could potentially develop into a plus pitch. He just started throwing the cutter this year, so no one knows where's its at, but if it can develop to at least an above-average pitch, it'll be another weapon. 

He's a guy that can pitch, and even if doesn't make a jump in Velo, with his Deception and solid command. If these two pitch develop, he could be a 2.

What are your guys thoughts?

15 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Now with Detmers signed, where do you have him ranked? i think he's 3rd, behind Adell and Marsh.

Along those lines, I've been ready into him a lot, and i'm really liking this pick. At first, like a few other, i was 50/50 on him, but after getting enough knowledge i've changed my mind. One of the things that changed is, the way i view him and his upside. I think a few other's might have been on the same boat. First time reading/watching him, we all heard at best he was a 3, I've gone back and reread some of the articles, and also have read a few other. But, i found was that i totally misread this info.  As more and more info came out, my eyes opened up to make a conclusion. 

His floor is really really big, he's projected to be a 3 and at worst a inning either ERA around high 3s or low 4s, doesn't sound eye poping, but in this day and age, it's value. Now that is his floor, the other side, his ceiling, there still a good ceiling. First of all he's only 20, with more developed on the way, he's at 210, maybe he;s maxed out? but i've read reports that there might be a few more ticks on the Velo. He's shown to improve and velo each year, went from high 80s, to low 90s, and this year he was hitting 95. 

A key comparison to him has been  Mckay of the Rays, he got drafted at 212, sitting around 90-94, last year he made his debut, and his Fastball was 92-97! So i could see a similar uptick in velo for Detmers. Both have the same high, and have the same build.

The Key for Detmers to reach his ceiling, will depend on the development of his Cutter and Changeup. His changeup by a few scout is considered another plus pitch, while other say it could potentially develop into a plus pitch. He just started throwing the cutter this year, so no one knows where's its at, but if it can develop to at least an above-average pitch, it'll be another weapon. 

He's a guy that can pitch, and even if doesn't make a jump in Velo, with his Deception and solid command. If these two pitch develop, he could be a 2.

I'm glad you're reading! 😜 

Just teasing you Vladdy, I like the Detmers pick too, there is still some upside and he could probably walk into a back-end starter role immediately if the Angels were so inclined.

17 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

If he can just add a tick or 2 to his fastball and sit at 93-94 I think that would make a world of difference. I love that he seems like a gamer on the mound. I saw a game where he was near the end of his start at about the 6th or 7th inning and he was reared back and hit 95. I honestly think his changeup can be better than his curveball from what I've seen, too. I've made this comp in another thread but I see a lot of Jose Quintana in him but I think Detmers already has better stuff. Quintana has been a solid 3 with some 2's sprinkled in his entire career so I'd be stoked if he saw the same type of career.

• 2 weeks later...

Non-drafted FA

Los Angeles Angels

An outfielder and pitcher as a prep athlete ... Could see action both on the mound and in the field this season at SDSU ... Ranked as the No. 13 left-handed pitcher in California by Perfect Game ... A 2016 Rawlings-Perfect Game Honorable Mention All-American and California All-Region Second Team selection ... Played summer ball for the SoCal Redbirds in Orange County, Calif.

https://goaztecs.com/sports/baseball/roster/elijah-greene/161

5 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Non-drafted FA

Los Angeles Angels

An outfielder and pitcher as a prep athlete ... Could see action both on the mound and in the field this season at SDSU ... Ranked as the No. 13 left-handed pitcher in California by Perfect Game ... A 2016 Rawlings-Perfect Game Honorable Mention All-American and California All-Region Second Team selection ... Played summer ball for the SoCal Redbirds in Orange County, Calif.

https://goaztecs.com/sports/baseball/roster/elijah-greene/161

Hey @Fourts here you go, we signed one. 

• Angels added RHP Adrian De Horta to their player pool.

De Horta was an eighth round pick in 2013 who spent last year pitching at three different levels; registering a 5.33 ERA over 18 appearances with eight starts. He'll be added depth for the Angels of the truncated season. 

Jul 9, 2020, 12:20 PM ET

19 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Interesting, does this mean that guys not on the 60 man roster (taxi squad) can be invited to workout with the other prospects at long beach? I might me wrong, but Stallings is not on the taxicab roster.

The taxi cab roster is 3 players per road trip.