• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Anthony Rendon

mmc

Thinking about this a little more...

What do the Angels need to do to separate them from the Yankees offer? Obviously, money is a big factor, but if Cole is concerned with year-in, year-out competing, the Angels need to make other moves to  supplement the team. He might be expecting the Angels to make another significant move to convince him they’re serious more than adding obscene money to his deal. 

Starting to think there could be some momentum behind the Angels signing Rendon in order to put them on par with the Yankees on the field (as close they can get right now at least) in order to also draw up favorably to their offer.

In which case, Cole might not need insane figures being thrown around. I mean really what’s the difference to him if he makes $32m or $36m annually, or $280m or $300m? If he’s all about breaking salary records or matching what other guys get, sure, it’s a consideration...but I don’t necessarily think that’s what’s going on here. Meaning the Angels might be able to get by on a fairly palatable contract IF 1) he really does have some hometown appeal and 2) the Angels make another huge signing - and probably a trade as well. 

And we could see those happen before Cole signs. So should we see a big trade or Rendon signing happen, I wouldn’t take it as a sign Cole is moving on. It could be the prerequisite to him agreeing the Angels are here to win it.

23 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Cole would be replacing 33 starts of negative or neutral WAR pitching, so improves the team by 5-8 games. Tendon would be replacing some solid 2-3 WAR players so would add 3-5 wins, depending. 

Lets not mention tendons when discussing 300 mill angel pitcher contracts, alright?

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thinking about this a little more...

What do the Angels need to do to separate them from the Yankees offer? Obviously, money is a big factor, but if Cole is concerned with year-in, year-out competing, the Angels need to make other moves to  supplement the team. He might be expecting the Angels to make another significant move to convince him they’re serious more than adding obscene money to his deal. 

Starting to think there could be some momentum behind the Angels signing Rendon in order to put them on par with the Yankees on the field (as close they can get right now at least) in order to also draw up favorably to their offer.

In which case, Cole might not need insane figures being thrown around. I mean really what’s the difference to him if he makes $32m or $36m annually, or $280m or $300m? If he’s all about breaking salary records or matching what other guys get, sure, it’s a consideration...but I don’t necessarily think that’s what’s going on here. Meaning the Angels might be able to get by on a fairly palatable contract IF 1) he really does have some hometown appeal and 2) the Angels make another huge signing - and probably a trade as well. 

And we could see those happen before Cole signs. So should we see a big trade or Rendon signing happen, I wouldn’t take it as a sign Cole is moving on. It could be the prerequisite to him agreeing the Angels are here to win it.

I think you're spot on here. Having the Angels sign Rendon could show Cole that we're all in. Great idea.

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Ugh I really hope all this Rendon talk today isn’t because the Angels feel like they’re losing out on Cole...

Really starting to worry

Anyone remember how it turned out when we needed a starting pitcher.  Lost out on the top pitching free agent and decided to sign an All Star outfielder instead?