• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

Just now, Angels_Fan said:

Well, you said it. The Angels shouldn’t overpay (Marsh +) and should look to trade Jones and Suarez (which means the Tigers would be selling low, Boyd’s his potential is better than he has shown).

The chances of a deal being reached is probably close to zero. The Tigers would be wise to hold on to him and hope that he reaches his potential. They would likely get way more in return then.

And that’s when you get into data we as fans simply don’t have access to or knowledge to interpret.

Trades aren’t fans picking names that match up based on WAR or prospect rankings.

Detroit moving him now could signal that they internally think his first-half was a fluke and that it will be the best he ever shows - and that it’s time to move him now before it gets worse. It could also signal the Angels see a perfect opportunity for Callaway to turn a #4 starter into a #2-3 by changing up what he throws when, or one slight mechanical tweak or change in approach.

Or it could mirror the seemingly light return Cleveland got for Kluber. They were totally enamored with Emmanuel Clase and his 102 cutter, despite not having no real prospect pedigree. What’s to say they don’t look at Luis Rengifo and think that’s Erick Aybar 2.0, an annual 3 WAR infielder we can plug in for league-minimum right now, we need this for the next 5 years and go with that?

Gray is only projected to earn $5.6 million next season and is under club control for two years. Acquiring Gray could give the Angels a lot of flexibility to keep improving the roster.

Marsh is pretty redundant with Trout, Adell and Upton locked up in the OF for many years. And it isn’t that hard to get a RF once Upton is gone.

Well agree to disagree.  I get that hes cost effective and has control, but that doesnt make him a better pitcher than some of the other options out there for the cost involved in other areas. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And that’s when you get into data we as fans simply don’t have access to or knowledge to interpret.

Trades aren’t fans picking names that match up based on WAR or prospect rankings.

Detroit moving him now could signal that they internally think his first-half was a fluke and that it will be the best he ever shows - and that it’s time to move him now before it gets worse. It could also signal the Angels see a perfect opportunity for Callaway to turn a #4 starter into a #2-3 by changing up what he throws when, or one slight mechanical tweak or change in approach.

Or it could mirror the seemingly light return Cleveland got for Kluber. They were totally enamored with Emmanuel Clase and his 102 cutter, despite not having no real prospect pedigree. What’s to say they don’t look at Luis Rengifo and think that’s Erick Aybar 2.0, an annual 3 WAR infielder we can plug in for league-minimum right now, we need this for the next 5 years and go with that?

They have no reason to trade Boyd unless a team overpays. Jones + Suarez won’t cut it. 

14 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

They have no reason to trade Boyd unless a team overpays. Jones + Suarez won’t cut it. 

Unless they feel now is the best time, and they like Jones + Suarez. Or another package the Angels offer.

Remember, Eppler and Avila have come together on numerous impact trades already. Good reason to think that history can help both clubs here.

Just now, totdprods said:

Unless they feel now is the best time, and they like Jones + Suarez. Or another package the Angels offer.

Remember, Eppler and Avila have come together on numerous impact trades already. Good reason to think that history can help both clubs here.

Eh, that seems more like wishful thinking than anything else. He’s cheap, under club control for 3 years, and may have more potential than he has shown. There’s just no incentive to move him unless a team overpays drastically. 

13 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

Eh, that seems more like wishful thinking than anything else. He’s cheap, under club control for 3 years, and may have more potential than he has shown. There’s just no incentive to move him unless a team overpays drastically. 

Why?  

Because they can’t get fair value for him if they think Boyd is truly better than he has shown. Unless, of course, a team overpays based on perceived potential alone.

So it has to be a drastic overpay?  You don’t think the Tigers could see value in getting a young pitcher and a young controllable position player?  They’ll only trade him if a team blows them out of the water?  Seems like a reach. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

So it has to be a drastic overpay?  You don’t think the Tigers could see value in getting a young pitcher and a young controllable position player?  They’ll only trade him if a team blows them out of the water?  Seems like a reach. 

Why do they have to trade him? He's under club control for 3 more years. Detroit isn't exactly a budget restricted organization.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

Why do they have to trade him? He's under club control for 3 more years. Detroit isn't exactly a budget restricted organization.

Like I said they could find value in two young cost controlled players instead of one that starting to get slightly more pricey. 

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If Boyd starts getting the results to match the potential they may think he has, he’ll be worth far more than just Jones and Suarez.

Is it possible that Avila could view Jones and Suarez in higher regard than most others do and be willing to give Boyd for them? Yea, I guess. But one can’t assume that. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Like I said they could find value in two young cost controlled players instead of one that starting to get slightly more pricey. 

I'm sure they could, but it isn't like they need to move Boyd out of desperation. They can keep him and their payroll will remain well under 100 million. 

I think they'd ask for at least Marsh, plus more.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

Just sign Keuchel.

The longer this sits in limbo, the less i think its going to happen.  Whatever we do with the second spot can wait, that needs to get done.   I wonder is waiting for us to sign someone else before he will commit?  Are we caught in a catch-22 here?  If we end up not getting him or making a trade were in trouble. 

Just now, floplag said:

But thats just it, people are talking about him being involved, it raises eyebrows.  If he can be had on a buy low that doesnt cost top 10 guys, great, but that doesnt seem to be the narrative people are willing to pay or at least assume it might cost. 

I don't want Boyd. At all, but if he's someone we're going after and assuming Callaway can help him, then i'm for it. Only if guys like Marsh, Fletcher, Adams, Jackson and Rengifo aren't involved. Which is basically me saying no cuz I bet those named will be involved. And yes I understand that Adams and Rengifo are absolutely moveable for the right pitcher. Boyd isn't it....

Bundy has a slightly better career ERA than Boyd and we traded no names for him. We should do the same for Boyd. 
I'm not sure of a package, but i'd give guys like Walsh, Maitan, and maybe Madero If that means Boyd. 

If it's true that the Angels will spend around $30M-$35M more before the season starts then I'd like to see this:
(Assuming max $)
Keuchel- $20M AAV
Boyd- $6.4M
Contreras- $5.4M
Total: $31.8M

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I don't want Boyd. At all, but if he's someone we're going after and assuming Callaway can help him, then i'm for it. Only if guys like Marsh, Fletcher, Adams, Jackson and Rengifo aren't involved. Which is basically me saying no cuz I bet those named will be involved. And yes I understand that Adams and Rengifo are absolutely moveable for the right pitcher. Boyd isn't it....

Bundy has a slightly better career ERA than Boyd and we traded no names for him. We should do the same for Boyd. 
I'm not sure of a package, but i'd give guys like Walsh, Maitan, and maybe Madero If that means Boyd. 

If it's true that the Angels will spend around $30M-$35M more before the season starts then I'd like to see this:
(Assuming max $)
Keuchel- $20M AAV
Boyd- $6.4M
Contreras- $5.4M
Total: $31.8M

There is almost no way we make 2 trades, if we trade for Boyd, Contreras is likely off the table, youre looking more at Castro who is surprisingly also still out there as other catchers drop off the board.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

Just sign Keuchel.

Without having any clue what the hold up is, this seems like a no brainer.

Its possible we are working on a trade for someone better. Or we're waiting for his price to drop.

That said, the options are drying up quickly, and if we let him sign somewhere else, its likely to cost us even more, either via trade or overpaying ryu.