• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

10 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

I was going to post the exact same thing but I figured I’d give Stradling the night off

@Stradling

To recap, it's a guy I kind of know, talking about some other guy I don't know, who as far as I know doesn't work in the industry. That's a pretty loose string to be pulling on. Not sure if I buy it. I posted it on Twitter more for the comedic value of this concept.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

@Stradling

To recap, it's a guy I kind of know, talking about some other guy I don't know, who as far as I know doesn't work in the industry. That's a pretty loose string to be pulling on. Not sure if I buy it. I posted it on Twitter more for the comedic value of this concept.

There’s some dude on twitter who doesn’t like you much.  He’s a blowhard. 

10 minutes ago, The_Outrunner said:

Dude could be lights out with Mickey fixing him up. I'm assuming the Tigers want an arm and a leg for him

I still think he’d be a great target depending on the price. Detroit is stocked with pitching prospects which makes it easier to keep our young arms.

He got clobbered for a bunch of HR in the second half, but he maintained his significant K% increase all year long, and other peripherals were consistent all year long too. HR can be a little flukey. A K% increase that dramatic is not. 

He might not be as good as his first half, but I don’t think he was as bad as his second half either. Could have very well been some bad luck on a few pitches, the Tigers running him out longer than necessary since they were terrible, and also a chance he lost a bit of focus after the deadline passed and he was left on a 110+ loss team after thinking he’d be dealt to a contender. 

They wanted a ton for him at the deadline, maybe the poor second-half brings his price down a bit.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Ochocinco! said:

I don’t think trading for a guy with a career 4.5 era and signing Keuchel qualifies Eppler for an A+ on the offseason but to each his own

Boyd has made 63 starts with a combined 104 ERA+ the last 2 years. While playing for a horrible team. He would be a huge upgrade over almost every arm in our organization. And he doesnt cost much, leaving flexibility for other moves.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Well since you now kinda hate Eppler, you and him are on the same page.  That being said he is making a big deal of your return to twitter.  He’s an idiot.

Maybe I blocked him. I don't see anything. Probably for the best. 

And I still like Eppler. But I do believe there is enough evidence now to say that the way he values pitchers has proven to be flawed. The industry values them higher, and unfortunately, Eppler hasn't been able to recreate that value with low cost acquisitions, no matter how hard he tries. 

Dylan Bundy, as many innings as he will cover, is simply Joe Blanton and Ricky Nolasco re-hashed. It's just not what this team needs.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Maybe I blocked him. I don't see anything. Probably for the best. 

And I still like Eppler. But I do believe there is enough evidence now to say that the way he values pitchers has proven to be flawed. The industry values them higher, and unfortunately, Eppler hasn't been able to recreate that value with low cost acquisitions, no matter how hard he tries. 

Dylan Bundy, as many innings as he will cover, is simply Joe Blanton and Ricky Nolasco re-hashed. It's just not what this team needs.

Yes, if Joe Blanton (a Dipoto acquisition) and Nolasco were under club control for 2 years at a much more reasonable rate.  Also you really liked the Nolasco deal when it happened because of the upside of Meyers.  It’s neither here nor there as you are right, he should have been in on Gibson and other affordable guys.  He went all out for Cole and came up short.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes, if Joe Blanton (a Dipoto acquisition) and Nolasco were under club control for 2 years at a much more reasonable rate.  Also you really liked the Nolasco deal when it happened because of the upside of Meyers.  It’s neither here nor there as you are right, he should have been in on Gibson and other affordable guys.  He went all out for Cole and came up short.  

I was very surprised by the projections @Inside Pitch posted. The algorithms they're using really like Kyle Gibson and Andrew Heaney. I like them both too, but 3-wins above replacement is pretty aggressive.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I was very surprised by the projections @Inside Pitch posted. The algorithms they're using really like Kyle Gibson and Andrew Heaney. I like them both too, but 3-wins above replacement is pretty aggressive.

The best thing is it's an outside source totally devoid of bias coming up with those numbers....  Now, take what we know about Doug White, what we've read about Mickey Callaway, and there is a legit reason for optimism.  It's also pretty crazy to see the projections for the various FAs. 

They still need to add an arm, but other than the big three they haven't missed out on difference makers.

Someone needs to sell me on this Boyd thing... the guy gave up 39 freakin' homeruns last year.  The 238 K's are awesome... but those HR's scare the crap out of me.  If the Angels get him - I hope Callaway is as good as many think he is. 

1 hour ago, zenmaster said:

Boyd is young and has 4 years of control and has shown flashes of greatness, which is why he will most likely cost us Marsh+ others.

Hmmm Sounds like a few other guys in our rotation. 

Rather than trading for a guy that has "shown" flashes of greatness, i'd rather trade for a guy that has done more than just "shown" greatness. 

30 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Someone needs to sell me on this Boyd thing... the guy gave up 39 freakin' homeruns last year.  The 238 K's are awesome... but those HR's scare the crap out of me.  If the Angels get him - I hope Callaway is as good as many think he is. 

Eek. The HRs remind me of Jose Suarez last season 

Edited by failos

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I still think he’d be a great target depending on the price. Detroit is stocked with pitching prospects which makes it easier to keep our young arms.

He got clobbered for a bunch of HR in the second half, but he maintained his significant K% increase all year long, and other peripherals were consistent all year long too. HR can be a little flukey. A K% increase that dramatic is not. 

He might not be as good as his first half, but I don’t think he was as bad as his second half either. Could have very well been some bad luck on a few pitches, the Tigers running him out longer than necessary since they were terrible, and also a chance he lost a bit of focus after the deadline passed and he was left on a 110+ loss team after thinking he’d be dealt to a contender. 

They wanted a ton for him at the deadline, maybe the poor second-half brings his price down a bit.

So who would you trade then?

37 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Boyd started off 2019 just fine, 2.80 ERA and only 7 HRs allowed in 72 innings, pre June 1.

The BIG problem is June 1 through the end of the season, 5.60 ERA and 32 HRs allowed in only 113 innings.

As the greatest sheriff ever (Buford T. Justice) would say: There's no way.....noooo way, that the Halos should include Adell, Marsh, OR Adams in ANY deal for Boyd.  

Edited by Angel Oracle