• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

There has to be some anxiety on his part.  It isn’t the type of anxiety normal people feel while looking for a job simply because he probably has money to live comfortably for quite a long time.  However, if he doesn’t sign a one year deal, which he won’t, this is his last “big” pay day.  By big pay day I mean in baseball terms, hell he made $13 million last year, which to all of us is a huge life altering pay day. To him he felt cheated.  Time will tell, but I think he screwed himself not taking the offer from Houston a couple of years ago, which was said to be for $90 million.  

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Let me just ask this. Would everyone be comfortable with the roster if the Angels only signed Keuchel? Would you think "okay now we have a chance for a playoff spot?"

I think we'd need more. 

I would be more comfortable for sure.  At the same time I would have no problem upgrading throughout the year as well.  At this point I’d sign Keuchel or Ryu on a deal that pays him more for being healthy.  Try to trade for one more guy and if that can’t work then make a move at the deadline.  If the Mets are out of it (Which is entirely possible with the Nats and Braves in their division) they will be selling off arms.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would be more comfortable for sure.  At the same time I would have no problem upgrading throughout the year as well.  At this point I’d sign Keuchel or Ryu on a deal that pays him more for being healthy.  Try to trade for one more guy and if that can’t work then make a move at the deadline.  If the Mets are out of it (Which is entirely possible with the Nats and Braves in their division) they will be selling off arms.  

Keuchel is a must over Ryu. Better in terms of injury history and would likely cost less. I think for the Angels to be serious contenders they should sign another arm and not trade for one. Maybe like a Teheran or Alex Wood type.

(Assuming Mets fail), Syndergaard could be someone available. Only then should Marsh be used. Give him the season to build value. Though I'd much rather see them hold on to Marsh and watch how Upton does this year. I think that's very important and I think that's why Eppler backed out with Kluber

He can probably afford to wait as long as the Angels, Twins, and White Sox haven’t added another arm. Toronto, Dodgers, Phillies, and St. Louis probably count in that category too, but they’ve made a few additions now (except LAD) and might not have as much need.

Probably doesn’t hurt him if he waits for Ryu to sign too. 

13 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Let me just ask this. Would everyone be comfortable with the roster if the Angels only signed Keuchel? Would you think "okay now we have a chance for a playoff spot?"

I think we'd need more. 

God no. 

We need two at minimum. However, if we sign Keuchel it gives Eppler a little leverage. He doesn’t have to be so aggressive and teams now know he isn’t as desperate. Which would make a huge difference 

18 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think we'd need more. 

If he was the only arm, I’d be concerned. If he was the best arm added, and they still added someone cheap like Bailey, Nova, Chacin, Gio to serve as a cheap innings-eating #5 to start the year, I wouldn’t be thrilled but I’d be okay with it. Save bullets for midseason. 

At some point the Angels could also consider guys like Betances, McHugh, Harris, etc. as ways to improve the pen depth too. 

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

image.png.ace4b75b21b67917fca7e6197a716e83.png

Also seems like both Ryu and keuchel are close to signing. 

They were "close" like last week.
Anyways, I'd go with Ryu ONLY if his price drops below Bumgarner (which it won't). Then sign Keuchel as well and trade for Contreras. 

Rotation: Ryu, Ohtani, Keuchel, Heaney, Canning, Bundy
Lineup (end of year): Fletcher 2B, Trout CF, Rendon 3B, Ohtani DH, Upton LF, Contreras C, Adell RF, Simmons SS, LaStella 1B.

6 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

They were "close" like last week.
Anyways, I'd go with Ryu ONLY if his price drops below Bumgarner (which it won't). Then sign Keuchel as well and trade for Contreras. 

Rotation: Ryu, Ohtani, Keuchel, Heaney, Canning, Bundy
Lineup (end of year): Fletcher 2B, Trout CF, Rendon 3B, Ohtani DH, Upton LF, Contreras C, Adell RF, Simmons SS, LaStella 1B.

That lineup is good, but it won't happen with Albert still on the roster.  Plug Albert in at the 6 spot, swap Adell and Contreras, and you would probably be right.

Scioscia wouldn't do that to Albert, and Maddon won't, either. 

I'll put it like this, which is a rehash from a previous post.

- If the goal is to get back to .500, add one more pitcher that's a #3 or #4. Like Dallas Keuchel, David Price or Robbie Ray. 

- If the goal is to simply contend, meaning 85-90 wins, add two mid rotation starters, from the group of Keuchel-Ray-Price. Or add a front end starter like Ryu and another back end option, like Teheran.

- If the goal is to make the playoffs, as in 90-95 wins, add a front of the rotation starter AND a mid rotation starter, like Ryu and Keuchel or Ryu and Ray, or Price. 

- If the goal is to win the division, which should require between 95-100 wins, you'll need to sign Ryu and Keuchel/Ray/Price and then after that empty the farm (like trade Adell, or trade Marsh+Adams+Rengifo+Soriano) on a guy like Mike Clevinger. 

Edited by Second Base

20 minutes ago, Second Base said:

- If the goal is to get back to .500, add one more pitcher that's a #3 or #4. Like Dallas Keuchel, David Price or Robbie Ray. 

- If the goal is to simply contend, meaning 85-90 wins, add two mid rotation starters, from the group of Keuchel-Ray-Price. Or add a front end starter like Ryu and another back end option, like Teheran.

- If the goal is to make the playoffs, as in 90-95 wins, add a front of the rotation starter AND a mid rotation starter, like Ryu and Keuchel or Ryu and Ray, or Price. 

- If the goal is to win the division, which should require between 95-100 wins, you'll need to sign Ryu and Keuchel/Ray/Price and then after that empty the farm (like trade Adell, or trade Marsh+Adams+Rengifo+Soriano) on a guy like Mike Clevinger. 

what..what...what we are expecting to me a 85-90 win team with our curtain rotation. 

Just give me Ryu/Kecheul and don't empty out the famr system.

27 minutes ago, Kendo36 said:

Nice cherry pick. I traded for him in my fantasy league around august and he was awful.  

cherry pick? you stated;

On 12/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, Kendo36 said:

Also had a terrible end to the season last year. Terrible

what is more "end of the last season" than his last few starts?  

Ryu gave up more than 2 earned runs in 6 of his 29 starts.  SIX!  And your basing your decision that he's awful on a stretch of 4 games? 

now tell me, who's cherry picking? 

and for future reference, please don't use your fantasy league to support your claims. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Keuchel is probably the type that says he wants to go out to eat, but takes two hours deciding where to go and eventually just microwaves some pizza bites.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking about him the other day. He seems stubborn to a fault.

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

cherry pick? you stated;

what is more "end of the last season" than his last few starts?  

Ryu gave up more than 2 earned runs in 6 of his 29 starts.  SIX!  And your basing your decision that he's awful on a stretch of 4 games? 

now tell me, who's cherry picking? 

and for future reference, please don't use your fantasy league to support your claims. 

He was BLOWN up in that 4 start stretch in august. I resent him for that. Also, his body of work for his career is not worth the money. We are in a desperate spot and it sucks. That was my original point. 

48 minutes ago, Second Base said:

This is absolutely ridiculous. Who gets displaced if they sign two starters, or three? Unless they move Heaney or Canning in said trade for Clevinger, what is the point?

I think the adds of Bundy (who is your #3 or #4 type guy)... already pushed them back to .500. (Let Alone Adding Rendon).

Contending, is already done by adding Rendon, a pitching coach who knows how to coach, and a manager who knows how to manage.

Now, to make the playoffs, they need to add a 2/3, like Keuchel or Ryu or Jon Gray or yes, Clevinger.

And also, to be fair, Clevinger was a low level prospect with a 4.4 ERA in A Ball when we traded him. They traded better prospects for guys like Upton, who then ended up not making the majors. Clevinger was never a top 100 prospect, and his emergence as a front line guy had a lot to do with being shipped to Cleveland and working with their staff, and Mickey Callaway.

7 minutes ago, Kendo36 said:

He was BLOWN up in that 4 start stretch in august. I resent him for that. Also, his body of work for his career is not worth the money. We are in a desperate spot and it sucks. That was my original point. 

so you resent him for ruining your fantasy league team. lol

again, more than 2 ER in 6 of 29 starts.