• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

Angels scouting director Matt Swanson injected the organization with a load of pitching, drafting a total of 29 pitchers – three of whom are two-way players – among the 40 taken in the draft.

“The nature of baseball, you can’t have too much pitching,” Swanson said after the draft concluded on Wednesday. “You capture arms that you can bring in and develop, and some of them have a chance to move real quick and get to Anaheim in a hurry.

“Even senior signs that we’ve taken over the last couple years, who have come in and maybe developed a new pitch or gotten stronger, or gotten with a different coach and something clicks and they move in a hurry. … Any time you can get pitching, you have to get it.”

Hey Matt - I just said that earlier in the thread.  Don't steal my juice bro.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

@John Smith is 0-1 so far.  anyone we don't sign I blame on him.  

Real talk, though: the great thing about the internet is that, for a few weeks a year, I depend on a guy that I have never met to provide me with information all because he his obsessive and willing to compile all of this information.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so are we happy with this draft?  

The Wilson pick surprised me.  I was a little meh about it at first but I really like his bat.  

Paris has huge upside.  

Kochanowicz also has a ton of potential. 

Rivera is probably one of the most interesting  

I am pretty happy. I love Wilson, I like  Parris, and I think Kochanowicz could be something special. I also like going after the two-way players; .If we can find a way to add Spencer Jones, I'd have to think it would be because he could go both ways (giggity). I think I like Stallings a lot even if there is a decent chance he's just a AAAA guy--he's a control master. I also  like a lot of the pitchers they have taken between 11-25 (or, at least, their stats profile and velocity; I have not seen or scouted the every damn college reliever in the country).

Having said that, I was REALLY expecting us to get a decent catcher in the top 10 (even if it was just a top senior-sign guy or something) and to take at least one bat-only slugger. All in all, I'd say B+.

1 hour ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Real talk, though: the great thing about the internet is that, for a few weeks a year, I depend on a guy that I have never met to provide me with information all because he his obsessive and willing to compile all of this information.

100% true

I went into this draft pretty blind compared to most years, didn't really follow guys at all .... so, I didn't have anyone I was hoping they would draft.  Despite not having a favorite going in, I still can't help but feel a little underwhelmed....  That being said, the more I read, the more it became obvious this was an underwhelming draft class.  Not being critical, mostly saying there wasn't a euphoric moment this year.... And that's fine.

I think my initial takeaway is that it's nice to see them go as young as they did with their top two picks.  Depending on how fast a riser Wilson ends up being maybe it leads the Angels to move Jones back to the OF.   But the bigger takeaway for me personally was that this was the first time in a while where I didn't feel like they needed to come up with a top end difference maker...  If this ends up being an organizational filler type draft, that's not a bad thing.   There is depth in the OF, they have SPs making an impact at most levels, they have guys that look to have a future in the pen, the IF is still light but they kinda helped themselves here and they are connected to two international SS.  Catcher remains the organization's weak link but we have seen how Eppler tends to address the position.

Here's hoping people sign quickly and get to playing games Asap..

Edited by Inside Pitch

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The Wilson pick surprised me.  I was a little meh about it at first but I really like his bat.  

Paris has huge upside.  

I am happy with the draft, at first i wasn't a fan of the Wilson pick..But seeing but's been written about him actually makes me excited. He has chance to become a solid overall player, if everything clicks could put few all-star type numbers. Paris has huge upside and i liked the pick, same with Kochanowiz and Rivera. Plus we picked some nice college pitchers that could be 4/5 or cheap Bp options to come. 

By and Large I am happy with this draft.  Earlier, I expressed concern about our second round pick.  I feel much better about him now (I never doubted his value) knowing that we went all pitching from rounds 3-10.  And, I absolutely love our third round choice.  I posted we need a high projectable arm, and they picked one.  I also believe our system lacks projectable starters, and we do not have the pitching depth many on here claim.  In addition, our most projectable pitcher (Rodriguez) will have missed two season with back injuries.  I am afraid he could go the way of Hunter Green.  But, we certainly went heavy again on pitching and chose some guys who I think could develop into solid pitchers.  Here are some guys I like ... 

Jack Kochenwicz (sp?) and Rivera have huge upside.  If Rivera can learn two more pitches he could be special. 

Stallings and Peek can be very solid pitchers.  The biggest knock on Stallings is his fastball, but it is not uncommon for a college guy to add 2-4 more mph to his fastball as his body matures.  He also has plus potential on a couple other pitches and great control.  Peek in some ways is more advanced than Stallings IMHO but needs one more quality pitch.  If he can get that I see a mid-rotation type of a guy.  

Brnovich and Zach Linginfelter I feel can be solid bullpen pieces.  Brnovich has the best curveball in the draft, but his mechanics hurt my eyes just to look at.  How has this guy not damaged his knee already?  If they let him be, I can see another Scot Shields.  If they complete change his mechanics (which could take a couple of years) he may be a starter down the road.  But I think his curveball alone will get him to the majors assuming he doesn't tear up his knee.  

I know no-one is taking about him, but keep an eye on Davis Daniel.  He has a great fastball and two very good secondary pitches.  He has some control issues, college pitchers often do and that gets better over time.  I really couldn't care less about the Tommy John surgery at this point.  Hell, it seems every pitcher gets Tommy John now-a-days and the Angels are going to shut down most of these pitchers (except for the high school guys) this year anyways.  But the guy has some quality stuff for sure.  

Finally, I want to make one more point on Spencer Jones.  I think there is a chance he could sign.  If the Angels give him a nice bonus and guarantee not to trade him, maybe the lure of playing in the majors in his own back yard make convince him to stay.  It is not unprecedented.  

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I went into this draft pretty blind compared to most years, didn't really follow guys at all .... so, I didn't have anyone I was hoping they would draft.  Despite not having a favorite going in, I still can't help but feel a little underwhelmed....  That being said, the more I read, the more it became obvious this was an underwhelming draft class.  Not being critical, mostly saying there wasn't a euphoric moment this year.... And that's fine.

I think my initial takeaway is that it's nice to see them go as young as they did with their top two picks.  Depending on how fast a riser Wilson ends up being maybe it leads the Angels to move Jones back to the OF.   But the bigger takeaway for me personally was that this was the first time in a while where I didn't feel like they needed to come up with a top end difference maker...  If this ends up being an organizational filler type draft, that's not a bad thing.   There is depth in the OF, they have SPs making an impact at most levels, they have guys that look to have a future in the pen, the IF is still light but they kinda helped themselves here and they are connected to two international SS.  Catcher remains the organization's weak link but we have seen how Eppler tends to address the position.

Here's hoping people sign quickly and get to playing games Asap..

I felt this way for most of the draft as well.  Part of it for me was that we took more signable HS guys last year and they're a little easier to dream on than college juniors.  This draft felt mostly like a stockpile of future relievers.  Which would be great mind you considering how the game is going and is actually a smart play on the orgs part.  It's just not super exciting.  I was also a bit curious about the Southard pick in the 20th and felt that if we were able to grab him, that would make for a nice bonus pick on a player with upside only to be disappointed almost immediately.  For the same reason, I'm not getting my hopes up on Jones.  We also took a bunch of pitcher on the shorter side which I thought was odd.  

At the end of the day, if 2 or 3 players become decent/solid major league players from any draft, you've actually done well.  

Was this a trackman draft all the way?  Sure seems like it.  

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Thats the vibe I get too -- especially when you consider the guys 5'10'' and below.

I'm having a hard time with the spin rate thing.  guys like Stratton and Bard etc.  It just doesn't seem to play out from what I have seen.  Which probably means I just don't have the right data available to convince me.  My eyes tell me that you still have to throw it in the right spot and change speeds or you're going to get creamed.  

While I think that previous Tweet Re: Jack Kochanowicz was fake account (doesn't appear to have  twitter account), there's this:

Harriton pitcher Jack Kochanowicz to sign with Angels

"...will signing with the team, his father said Thursday. Keith Kochanowicz said his son will probably sign within the next week or two."

https://www.inquirer.com/high-school-sports/pennsylvania/mlb-draft-2019-jack-kochanowicz-angels-philadelphia-south-jersey-updates-20190604.html

image.png

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Paris has huge upside.  

From appearances I would, at this moment in time, call it an above average draft. What will ultimately determine a final evaluation will be how picks #1 and #2 pan out, along with the overall performance of all of the pitchers we picked up. This may take some time to see the ultimate results. Right now I feel more than comfortable with what happened but I am not ecstatic (yet).

2 hours ago, ettin said:

From appearances I would, at this moment in time, call it an above average draft. What will ultimately determine a final evaluation will be how picks #1 and #2 pan out, along with the overall performance of all of the pitchers we picked up. This may take some time to see the ultimate results. Right now I feel more than comfortable with what happened but I am not ecstatic (yet).

Interesting take Ettin. I'd take a totally different perspective, though. I'd rate it an 8/10 with potential to grow from there. One of our two top picks should pan out as a serviceable major leaguer. So, for me, it has far more to do with how the pitching pans out. If some of those turn out to be decent, then this draft could grow. 

By way of comparison, I would have rated last year's draft as a 7/10, and the year before that, with Adell as a 9.5/10. And, for the first 3 years after a draft, I'm willing to add or subtract a point on the ratings based on additional perspective in seeing how the players pan out. 

3 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Interesting take Ettin. I'd take a totally different perspective, though. I'd rate it an 8/10 with potential to grow from there. One of our two top picks should pan out as a serviceable major leaguer. So, for me, it has far more to do with how the pitching pans out. If some of those turn out to be decent, then this draft could grow. 

By way of comparison, I would have rated last year's draft as a 7/10, and the year before that, with Adell as a 9.5/10. And, for the first 3 years after a draft, I'm willing to add or subtract a point on the ratings based on additional perspective in seeing how the players pan out. 

That is sort of where I was going with my statement. 5-6 out of 10 would be average so I was leaning more in the 7-8 out of 10 realm like you suggested. Also I really do think this draft will take a while to show its true value compared to some others prior. Some of that pitching will likely show up in the near future maybe (1-2 years) but who knows.