• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

OI'm happy to see the Angels save money on Wilson and their 10th round pick to go over slot on Paris and Kochanawicz, their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Those are the types of selections and signings I'd make if they're wasn't anyone in the first round I felt reaching for. 

Will Wilson feels very much like a Matt Th haiss selection. They liked the possibilities in the 2nd and 3rd rounds more and so took the sure thing in the first.

Paris isn't the sort that will be really good offensively immediately. He's just very young, underdeveloped physically. But give him until 21 and we will see him fill out and then find out what kind of player he can be. 

42 minutes ago, Second Base said:

OI'm happy to see the Angels save money on Wilson and their 10th round pick to go over slot on Paris and Kochanawicz, their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Those are the types of selections and signings I'd make if they're wasn't anyone in the first round I felt reaching for. 

Will Wilson feels very much like a Matt Th haiss selection. They liked the possibilities in the 2nd and 3rd rounds more and so took the sure thing in the first.

Paris isn't the sort that will be really good offensively immediately. He's just very young, underdeveloped physically. But give him until 21 and we will see him fill out and then find out what kind of player he can be. 

I like Wilson better than Thaiss mostly because of positional value.  In retro, and pretty much in real time, I don't like taking a 1b man in the mid first.  Now, if Thaiss develops at 3b and can be an avg major league player then it was worth it.  

I agree that no one left in the 1st for this year felt worth reaching for.  I will always be curious as to who they might have gone after had they dropped but we'll never know that.  

Paris is the right type of pick for round two.  First round upside for sure.  Kochanowicz is also a guy with big upside.  My understanding is that they paid over 1m for him.  My guess is that the total comp for rounds 1--3 were on slot.  It will be interesting to see what they pay for Rivera in round 4 which I think ends up their biggest over slot. 

Overall it likely doesn't end in the ability to sign Spencer Jones from round 31, but if they can get Rivera a slot (which I doubt) and save another 500-600k from rounds 5-10 plus the 5% overage, they could pay Jones almost 1m which would be equivalent to a late 2nd rounder and close to where he was projected.  That would be huge to be able to get another second round pick equivalent.  Especially one of Jones upside.  

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

They didn’t have to go over for Paris very much either, only $90k and from what we know, they had saved about ~$630k so far. Curious to learn what Kochanowicz went for, and how much he’ll eat into that.

Yeah; if it's like 100K over, we have a chance at signing Spencer Jones; If it's closer to 500K, then we probably missed out.

NDFA

Former Oxford Hills pitcher Dalton Rice to sign with Angels

"...will board a plane for Utah on Monday and, after the routine physical, will sign a contract with the Anaheim Angels as an undrafted free agent.

A 6-foot-4, 210-pound right-hander, Rice received the official invitation from the Angels on Friday."

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/06/10/former-oxford-hills-pitcher-dalton-rice-to-sign-with-angels/