• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

I would have preferred Mendoza in that spot. Why not just overhaul the entire infield in this draft lol.

I would too, I liked Mendoza, but we can't complain about getting a projectable guy that's 6'6. 

I think they have plans for Jeremiah Jackson at 3B, plus you have Thaiss working there currently. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I would too, I liked Mendoza, but we can't complain about getting a projectable guy that's 6'6. 

I think they have plans for Jeremiah Jackson at 3B, plus you have Thaiss working there currently. 

True, perhaps they are gaining confidence in Maitan as well.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I am guessing that he sent waves to the Halos that he was likely going to college, even if picked in round 2?

Pretty much for sure now, he's going to college.

If he was the consensus best HS pitcher in the draft that could rise quickly, why didn't anyone draft him in the previous two rounds?

He gone. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I also wouldn't mind us getting Jack Leiter (nephew of MLB Network and former pitcher Al Leiter). 

The kid looks like he could be another Griffin Canning type down the road, but out of HS. 

@rafibomb the Phillies just took him right before us. Boo

Let's get Leiter!

71. Spencer Jones 1B/LHP could also be another potential two-way player.

School: La Costa Canyon (Calif.) HS Year: SeniorPosition: 1B/LHP Age: 18 DOB: 05/14/2001Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6'7" Weight: 205 lb.Commitment: Vanderbilt 
WATCH video.gif

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 40 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

At first, Jones' participation at the Perfect Game All-American Classic in San Diego last summer after a solid Area Codes Game performance seemed like a nice little "local kid done good" story. Then he singled and stole a base on the offensive end while throwing a perfect inning on the mound, serving notice that he might be the best two-way player in this Draft class. Scouts won't get the chance to see him this spring, however, as surgery to fix a small fracture in his throwing elbow will put him on the shelf until the summer.

The scouting industry is somewhat divided about where the 6-foot-7 left-hander's future lies. On the mound, he's up to 93 mph with his fastball, a pitch that's rarely straight. He has the ingredients of a very good curveball that could eventually be a plus pitch. It all comes from a projectable body and a delivery that works, giving hope that he'll find the strike zone more consistently and have the aptitude to add an effective third pitch as he gains more experience. Many thought he'd turn into a pitcher only, especially given his size, but he's shown he uses all those moving parts well as a position player. He's a plus runner and obviously, his arm works well, and he's played both the outfield and first base. He has a whip of a swing and is very unpolished, but some evaluators can dream on him as a hitter.

Jones has as much upside as perhaps anyone in the Draft class and that's true on both sides of the ball. He still could factor in the early rounds of the Draft, though teams looking to sign him away from his Vanderbilt commitment will have to do so based on his summer performance.

I also like 134. Carter Bins C. But who knows if we have capped out on drafting catchers from Fresno State.

School: Fresno State Year: Junior Position: CAge: 21 DOB: 05/11/1998 Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'0" Weight: 200 lb.Previously drafted: 2016, 35th (1037) - PHI 
WATCH video.gif

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

A 35th-round pick out of a Northern California high school by the Phillies in 2016, Bins turned them down to attend Fresno State. He became an immediate starter behind the plate for the Bulldogs and has blossomed into one of the better defensive catchers in college baseball. A team that believes enough in his bat could take him in the top three rounds.

Bins has a chance to become a plus receiver with arm strength to match. He moves well behind the plate, possesses soft hands, blocks well and makes accurate throws. He also earns praise for his instincts and leadership skills.

Bins' bat will determine whether he can become a starting catcher at the big league level. He has shown better discipline and made more consistent contact this spring, but his right-handed swing can get long and he'll probably hit more for power than average. While he hasn't driven the ball as much in 2019 as he did a year ago, he has solid to plus raw power.

2 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I wonder if we drafted Garrett Stallings to study him and find the "Control and Command" gene. His scouting report sounds like late-career Dan Haren.

I saw one summary mention his ability to "spin the ball" and we all know that's a big deal with this coaching staff...