• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Interesting HS kid from Texas Jared Southard with our 20th rounder.  ranked 154 by mlb.  curious about signability at this point.  

I read about this kid on FB a few minutes ago.  I then looked at our draft picks 6-10 and I guesstimated we could free up about $700k additionally to sign him if that is what it took.  He was ranked 18th best pitcher in the draft.  

28 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I would think they are going to try to slot him more cash....otherwise seems like a waste.

I think they can give him close to $1 million.  @Dochalo are they allowed to pay 20th round picks whatever they’d like as long as it fits into their draft pool money?  Also isn’t there some wiggle room in the amount of total dollars?  Is there a small percentage they can go over the draft pool money? 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think they can give him close to $1 million.  @Dochalo are they allowed to pay 20th round picks whatever they’d like as long as it fits into their draft pool money?  Also isn’t there some wiggle room in the amount of total dollars?  Is there a small percentage they can go over the draft pool money? 

yes.  so the pool money only applies to the top ten drafted.  

our bonus pool is 7.6 mil.  you can go over by 5% with only a monetary penalty (75% tax on the overage)  So that gives them an additional 380k to play with from the get go.  Their 5-10 picks have slot values of about 1.3 mil.  

I think Wilson will go under slot by a decent bit.  Thaiss went for 500k below slot.  It might not be that much and they're likely going to need some extra for Paris, Kochanowicz and/or Rivera.  But let's say they get the top 4 guys for near slot value by the time it's all said and done.  

They drafted more college juniors this year in rounds 6-10.  So my guess is they're not going to save almost the full amount like last year.  If they can save maybe half of it they have about 1m total between that and the 5% overage.  

My guess is that they already have a pretty good idea of how much they can offer him and it's already been discussed or they wouldn't have taken him in the 20th round.  

I am sure there are guys in the war room constantly working the phones during day three trying to get a feel whether guys are still signable at any give point.  

The other reason they may have waited till the 20th and not grabbed him sooner was that Billy was already discussing bonuses with the guys from the first two days and it took some time to get a feel for where they were at.  

also, round 31-40 are typically when they start drafting guys they know there is little chance to sign.  Let's say the guy in the 20th round backs out of a prearranged deal and Someone from the earlier round medicals come back off to where the bonus the Angels are willing to offer would be less (like with Marsh.  or at least that's what was reported if I remember correctly.  I best he was initially slated to go over slot).  

so for instance, they too Spencer Jones in the 31st round and he's the #71 ranked on mlb.  They'll have no chance at him unless something weird happens, because if they don't sign a bonus pool pick, they lose that money entirely.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

yes.  so the pool money only applies to the top ten drafted.  

our bonus pool is 7.6 mil.  you can go over by 5% with only a monetary penalty (75% tax on the overage)  So that gives them an additional 380k to play with from the get go.  Their 5-10 picks have slot values of about 1.3 mil.  

I think Wilson will go under slot by a decent bit.  Thaiss went for 500k below slot.  It might not be that much and they're likely going to need some extra for Paris, Kochanowicz and/or Rivera.  But let's say they get the top 4 guys for near slot value by the time it's all said and done.  

They drafted more college juniors this year in rounds 6-10.  So my guess is they're not going to save almost the full amount like last year.  If they can save maybe half of it they have about 1m total between that and the 5% overage.  

My guess is that they already have a pretty good idea of how much they can offer him and it's already been discussed or they wouldn't have taken him in the 20th round.  

I am sure there are guys in the war room constantly working the phones during day three trying to get a feel whether guys are still signable at any give point.  

The other reason they may have waited till the 20th and not grabbed him sooner was that Billy was already discussing bonuses with the guys from the first two days and it took some time to get a feel for where they were at.   

Man, if there is some way to sign our top 10,  Spencer Jones, AND Southard, we win the freaking draft.

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

also, round 31-40 are typically when they start drafting guys they know there is little chance to sign.  Let's say the guy in the 20th round backs out of a prearranged deal and Someone from the earlier round medicals come back off to where the bonus the Angels are willing to offer would be less (like with Marsh.  or at least that's what was reported if I remember correctly.  I best he was initially slated to go over slot).  

so for instance, they too Spencer Jones in the 31st round and he's the #71 ranked on mlb.  They'll have no chance at him unless something weird happens, because if they don't sign a bonus pool pick, they lose that money entirely.  

What is the deal with Spencer Jones? 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What is the deal with Spencer Jones? 

Spencer Jones

La Costa Canyon HS, Carlsbad, Calif.LHP
Notes:

Ht: 6-7 | Wt: 212 | B-T: L-L 
Commit/Drafted: Vanderbilt 
Scouting Report: Jones entered the season as one of the best two-way players in the class as a 6-foot-7, 212-pound lefthander with massive upside on the mound as well as surprising athleticism and feel to hit as a first base prospect. His season was cut short after he underwent surgery to repair a small fracture in his elbow, but Jones did recover soon enough to hit for his La Costa Canyon team late in the season. While teams seriously looked at Jones as both a pitcher and hitter, his upside is highest on the mound, where he has reached the mid-90s with his fastball and sat in the 89-93 mph range last summer. He also showed a mid- to upper-70s curveball with 12-to-6 break and tremendous depth that projects as a plus offering in the future. Jones doesn’t have the quickest arm, but his delivery is surprisingly in-sync for a prep pitcher of his size who has only been pitching seriously for a year and a half—a testament to his above-average athleticism and body control. Offensively, Jones has solid feel for the barrel and decent strike-zone recognition, although he will chase pitches at times. He’s an above-average runner at the moment, and some scouts believe he could develop plus raw power in the future as his body continues to mature. Jones figures to be a tough sign out of Vanderbilt, especially with his injury this spring, and he could turn into a first round-caliber prospect in a few years if he adds the physicality that most scouts think is coming. Jones should be a legitimate two-way player with the Commodores.

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

21 rounds- 18 pitchers.   Who said teams don't draft for need?

I have a bit of a theory and we'll see if people agree or disagree.  

there are 8 mlb teams with 7 minor league affiliates, 9 teams with 8, and 13 with 9.  The Halos have 7.  

I think one of two things could be going on.  One, they are going to add another rookie team or DSL team or both.  Likely the former.  

or two, they can determine much more easily whether a pitcher will develop or help them develop without as much time in an actual game.  Much more easily than a hitter who needs to see as many pitches as possible in real game speed.  Kinda goes back to my theory that you can team a guy to pitch much more easily than you can teach a guy to hit.  Putting bat to ball is more something that you have an ability to do or not.  So as was mentioned previously, grab as many pitchers as possible, teach them the appropriate techniques and see which ones stick.  In other words, it's easier to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to hitter much earlier in the eval process whereas with pitchers you aren't gonna know what they're capable of until you work with them for awhile.  

I think you might be right about additional affiliates. 

It might also be that they just feel like there are guys with known Ace type potential and they go in top 10. Beyond that it's just a numbers game. Pitching is so hard to project, develope, and keep healthy that you just need to draft as many guys as you can.

Jared Southard Retweeted Texas Baseball

Thank you to the @Angels organization and to everyone who has helped me get to this point, but I’m #UpnexT and not skipping steps! Hook Em’ ??

Jared Southard added,

D8VDyoiUYAA8Fhe.jpg
Texas BaseballVerified account @TexasBaseball
Selected by the @Angels in the 20th round of the @MLBDraft, congrats to our signee @jrodsouth10! #HookEm ?
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

5 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Jared Southard Retweeted Texas Baseball

Thank you to the @Angels organization and to everyone who has helped me get to this point, but I’m #UpnexT and not skipping steps! Hook Em’ ??

Jared Southard added,

D8VDyoiUYAA8Fhe.jpg
Texas BaseballVerified account @TexasBaseball
Selected by the @Angels in the 20th round of the @MLBDraft, congrats to our signee @jrodsouth10! #HookEm ?
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

Dammit!!

your first one should be good news!!

that dude looks like Joe Gatto btw.  

36 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

seems like a simple phone call could have kept the Halos from wasting that pick considering how quickly he's announced his decision.  

MLB Draft Tracker had him ranked 154th pre-draft so I kind of get why he didn't like being selected at the 601st position. But yeah bummer we couldn't divine that he'd bow out so soon.