• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

So that’s all our money basically?

I believe so, or at least puts them in the overage range, which Eppler has said he has no problem spending to up until the point where it costs them potential players/picks. Not much left.

we're now over by about 175k

three players left from the pool for a total of about 825k in slot money. 

We started with about  375k of allowable overage.  

If we can get picks 5, 6, 7 done for slot, we'll still have about 200k of overage left.  Spencer Jones ain't happening for that.  

Kenyon Yovan is someone I really hope we can sign.  

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we're now over by about 175k

three players left from the pool for a total of about 825k in slot money. 

We started with about  375k of allowable overage.  

If we can get picks 5, 6, 7 done for slot, we'll still have about 200k of overage left.  Spencer Jones ain't happening for that.  

Kenyon Yovan is someone I really hope we can sign.  

I could maybe see one of the 5, 6, or 7 guys not signing, since they're all juniors. Daniel at 7th round in particular might roll the dice and try again next year post-TJS.

Even then, that's only ~$400k to spend. Also probably not enough for Jones. Imagine half a mil would be the bare minimum considered, unless he badly wants to be a Halo.

Edited by totdprods

Just now, totdprods said:

I could maybe see one of the 5, 6, or 7 guys not signing, since they're all juniors. Daniel at 7th round in particular might roll the dice and try again next year post-TJS.

Even then, that's only ~$400k to spend. 

Daniel probably has the ability to return as a redshirt junior which would still give him some leverage next year.  

He only pitched 2 innings this year and I have no idea how the NCAA qual works for that.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Daniel probably has the ability to return as a redshirt junior which would still give him some leverage next year.  

He only pitched 2 innings this year and I have no idea how the NCAA qual works for that.  

Yeah, not very keen on it here either. Angels must really like Jack Kochanowicz. I imagine they have to see some big upside, frontline potential there for him to have been picked where he did and signed for that amount, especially after taking two infielders.

Stallings and Peek both seem like decent, safe SP picks, sort of like Denny Brady, who should be productive in the minors, advance quickly, but lack ceiling. Always have some trade value. Could still serve that tandem SP role well and could get lucky with either, so hopefully they nab at least two of those three Top 10 picks left.

Edited by totdprods

41 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, not very keen on it here either. Angels must really like Jack Kochanowicz. I imagine they have to see some big upside, frontline potential there for him to have been picked where he did and signed for that amount, especially after taking two infielders.

Stallings and Peek both seem like decent, safe SP picks, sort of like Denny Brady, who should be productive in the minors, advance quickly, but lack ceiling. Always have some trade value. Could still serve that tandem SP role well and could get lucky with either, so hopefully they nab at least two of those three Top 10 picks left.

Kochanowicz is likely the type that could have been a 2nd round pick pretty easily and he got mid 2nd round money.  He's now one of the top 2 or 3 in the system as far as ceiling for pitchers.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

From Jun 6, 2019

Injured Auburn ace Davis Daniel opens up about missing season

"Daniel was taken in the seventh round by the Los Angeles Angels, and he’s likely to sign and begin his professional career. "

https://www.al.com/auburn/2019/06/injured-auburn-ace-davis-daniel-opens-up-about-missing-season.html

On 6/17/2019 at 7:35 PM, totdprods said:
  • (1) SS Will Wilson ($3.4m vs. $3.89m slot) (+$490k)
  • (2) SS Kyren Paris ($1.4m vs ($1.3m) (-$100k)
  • (3) RHP Jack Kochanowicz ($1.25m vs. $638k) (-$612.4k)
  • (4) LHP/OF Erik Rivera ($597.5k vs. $473.7k) (-$123.8k)
  • (5) RHP Garrett Stallings ($353.7k slot)
  • (6) RHP Zach Peek ($270.3k slot)
  • (7) RHP Davis Daniel ($211.5k slot)
  • (8) RHP Kyle Brnovich ($168.7k vs. $171.2k) (+$2.5k)
  • (9) RHP Zach Linginfelter ($150.8k vs. $153.3k) (+$2.5k)
  • (10) RHP Chad Sykes ($7.5k vs. $144.6k) (+$137.1k)

• (11) LHP Brent Killam  ($???)
  • (12) LHP Jack Dashwood 
  • (13) RHP Edwin Sanchez ($???)
  • (14) RHP Zac Kristofak ($125k)
  • (15) RHP Greg Veliz ($125k)
  • (16) RHP Dakota Donovan ($???)
  • (17) OF Brandon White ($125k)
  • (18)  LHP Ryan Smith ($3k)
  • (19) LHP Garrett Lawson
  • (20) RHP Jared Southard (will go to UTexas)
  • (21) RHP Andrew Blake ($125k)
  • (22) SS Morgan McCullough ($125k)
  • (23) OF Matthew Corlew
  • (24) RHP Shane Kelso ($10k)
  • (25) C Anthony Mulrine ($125k)
  • (26) RHP Kyle Molnar ($122.5k)
  • (27) RHP Kenyon Yovan
  • (28) RHP Coleman Crow
  • (29) OF Matthew Woods ($???)
  • (30) 3B/RHP Anthony Bash ($???)
  • (31) OF/LHP Spencer Jones
  • (32) RHP Chase Walter
  • (33) C Justin Kunz ($???)
  • (34) RHP Ridge Chapman ($???)
  • (35) RHP Vincent Bianchi
  • (36) SS Keaton Weisz ($???)
  • (37) OF Levi Usher 
  • (38) RHP Luke Boyd (will go to Baylor)
  • (39) SS Spencer Brown ($???)
  • (40) RHP Tyson Heaton
  • (UDFA) RHP James Varela ($???)
  • (UDFA) RHP Dalton Rice ($???)
  • (UDFA) LHP John Cain ($???)

16 hours ago, Dochalo said:

this is good news.  he's got some potential apparently.  

Both Kyle Monar and Davis Daniel are interesting cases.  I think best case scenario we see Daniel pitch in Orem next year.  He'll definitely need an extended spring training.  BA says Monar has been throwing bullpen sessions, but the odds of a pitcher ever being anything like they used to after a second Tommy John is low.  But then again, that is based off of old data and perhaps rehab and modern medicine will improve his chances.  I am curious to see what the scouting reports say on him once he's assigned. 

42 minutes ago, tchula said:

Both Kyle Monar and Davis Daniel are interesting cases.  I think best case scenario we see Daniel pitch in Orem next year.  He'll definitely need an extended spring training.  BA says Monar has been throwing bullpen sessions, but the odds of a pitcher ever being anything like they used to after a second Tommy John is low.  But then again, that is based off of old data and perhaps rehab and modern medicine will improve his chances.  I am curious to see what the scouting reports say on him once he's assigned. 

I don't know the numbers but I know there have been some pretty notable success stories among the two time Tommy John pitchers.  Joe Nathan, Shawn Kelley, Joakim Soria, and Jason Isringhausen off the top of my head....  I think he actually had three. So even if he ends up as a reliever the 122k ends up being a decent risk.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, Dochalo said:

Kochanowicz is likely the type that could have been a 2nd round pick pretty easily and he got mid 2nd round money.  He's now one of the top 2 or 3 in the system as far as ceiling for pitchers.  

He could've gone second round, and even then, the belief was that if he honored his commitment to Virginia, given the cavernous home park and his arsenal and room for physical protection left in his frame, Kochanawicz would've gone in the top half of the first round in three years. 

It's a steep overpay, no doubt. But if there was any player left on the board after the first two rounds, he was the guy to do it on. Just think of it as getting two second round picks instead of one. 

5th-rder Garrett Stallings signs with @Angels for $312,500 (pick 151 = $353,700). Tennessee RHP, VG feel for his craft, does a nice job of mixing his 88-93 mph sinker, sinking changeup, curveball & slider/cutter. @MLBDraft

On 6/20/2019 at 12:56 PM, Dochalo said:
  • (1) SS Will Wilson ($3.4m vs. $3.89m slot) (+$490k)
  • (2) SS Kyren Paris ($1.4m vs ($1.31m) (-$90k)
  • (3) RHP Jack Kochanowicz ($1.25m vs. $638k) (-$612.4k)
  • (4) LHP/OF Erik Rivera ($597.5k vs. $473.7k) (-$123.8k)
  • (5) RHP Garrett Stallings ($312.5k vs $353.7k slot) (+$41.2k)
  • (6) RHP Zach Peek ($267.8k vs $270.3k slot) (+2.5k)
  • (7) RHP Davis Daniel ($211.5k slot)
  • (8) RHP Kyle Brnovich ($168.7k vs. $171.2k) (+$2.5k)
  • (9) RHP Zach Linginfelter ($150.8k vs. $153.3k) (+$2.5k)
  • (10) RHP Chad Sykes ($7.5k vs. $144.6k) (+$137.1k)

• (11) LHP Brent Killam  ($???)
  • (12) LHP Jack Dashwood 
  • (13) RHP Edwin Sanchez ($???)
  • (14) RHP Zac Kristofak ($125k)
  • (15) RHP Greg Veliz ($125k)
  • (16) RHP Dakota Donovan ($???)
  • (17) OF Brandon White ($125k)
  • (18)  LHP Ryan Smith ($3k)
  • (19) LHP Garrett Lawson
  • (20) RHP Jared Southard (will go to UTexas)
  • (21) RHP Andrew Blake ($125k)
  • (22) SS Morgan McCullough ($125k)
  • (23) OF Matthew Corlew
  • (24) RHP Shane Kelso ($10k)
  • (25) C Anthony Mulrine ($125k)
  • (26) RHP Kyle Molnar ($122.5k)
  • (27) RHP Kenyon Yovan
  • (28) RHP Coleman Crow
  • (29) OF Matthew Woods ($???)
  • (30) 3B/RHP Anthony Bash ($???)
  • (31) OF/LHP Spencer Jones
  • (32) RHP Chase Walter
  • (33) C Justin Kunz ($???)
  • (34) RHP Ridge Chapman ($???)
  • (35) RHP Vincent Bianchi
  • (36) SS Keaton Weisz ($???)
  • (37) OF Levi Usher 
  • (38) RHP Luke Boyd (will go to Baylor)
  • (39) SS Spencer Brown ($???)
  • (40) RHP Tyson Heaton
  • (UDFA) RHP James Varela ($???)
  • (UDFA) RHP Dalton Rice ($???)
  • (UDFA) LHP John Cain ($???)

so the Halos are about 150k over slot as of right now.