• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

The Angels didn't draft or sign a single 1B, 2B or specific 3B in the draft. They picked only one catcher as well. I think that speaks volumes about their organizational philosophy. 

Draft a bunch of pitchers, extend them all over 4 innings. Whatever sticks is a starter, whatever doesn't is a reliever. Draft a bunch of CF and SS, whoever doesn't stick moves to 2B, 3B or the corner OF. 1B and catchers are a dime a dozen on the waiver wire. Pick them up or discard them as needed. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Angels didn't draft or sign a single 1B, 2B or specific 3B in the draft. They picked only one catcher as well. I think that speaks volumes about their organizational philosophy. 

Draft a bunch of pitchers, extend them all over 4 innings. Whatever sticks is a starter, whatever doesn't is a reliever. Draft a bunch of CF and SS, whoever doesn't stick moves to 2B, 3B or the corner OF. 1B and catchers are a dime a dozen on the waiver wire. Pick them up or discard them as needed. 

Definitely think that sums up a big part of their plans. For now, draft a ton of athletes and try to lift the org floor up as high and deep as possible and hope a couple wind up being big wins.

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Definitely think that sums up a big part of their plans. For now, draft a ton of athletes and try to lift the org floor up as high and deep as possible and hope a couple wind up being big wins.

NDFA

t519.png

Ryan Randel 35 P

Orem Owlz

• Full Name: Ryan John Mark Randel
  • Birthplace: Mission Viejo, CA
  • Bats/Throws: R/R Ht: 6' 7" Wt: 230
  • School: Houston
t519.png June 22, 2019 RHP Ryan Randel assigned to Orem Owlz.
108.png June 13, 2019 Los Angeles Angels signed free agent RHP Ryan Randel to a minor league contract.

1 minute ago, John Smith said:

NDFA

t519.png

Ryan Randel 35 P

Orem Owlz

• Full Name: Ryan John Mark Randel
  • Birthplace: Mission Viejo, CA
  • Bats/Throws: R/R Ht: 6' 7" Wt: 230
  • School: Houston
t519.png June 22, 2019 RHP Ryan Randel assigned to Orem Owlz.
108.png June 13, 2019 Los Angeles Angels signed free agent RHP Ryan Randel to a minor league contract.

I like how part of the Angels plan is also just signing and drafting some of the biggest Facking dudes they can find.

42 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I like how part of the Angels plan is also just signing and drafting some of the biggest Facking dudes they can find.

That used to be the Giants MO.  A friend of mine's roommate in college was drafted by the Giants but didn't sign.  He instead played college football at a major DI program.  When he told me he used to throw 95 off the mound I called BS.  One day we were on the back fields at this particular college and sure enough, he crow hops and throws the ball from one field goal post to the other on the fly.  Now I know that doesn't translate specifically to throwing mid-90's, but it's at least a baseline of the arm strength he had.  I asked him why he hadn't signed, and he said he was just a number (and had a football scholarship).  He looked at the draft sheet and almost every single pitcher the Giants selected that year had the same build as him, which is 6'5 250 lbs.

He didn't end up going pro in football as he had hoped and never did anything in baseball, but hey, he got a college degree in engineering. 

NDFA

t404.png

Seth Ballew 52 P

• Full Name: Seth Michael Ballew
  • Birthplace: Sugar Land, TX
  • Bats/Throws: L/L Ht: 5' 10" Wt: 185
  • School: Sam Houston State
Team Date Transaction
t404.png June 22, 2019 LHP Seth Ballew assigned to AZL Angels.
108.png June 19, 2019 Los Angeles Angels signed free agent LHP Seth Ballew to a minor league contract.

19 hours ago, Second Base said:

Mulrine and Kunz were both drafted as catchers. As far as the cf/ ss's being drafted, didn't Eddie Bane use a similar philosophy?

19    Garrett Lawson        L/L    6-3    200    07/02/98        LHP        JR

"After the expected signing of a contract in the next few days, Lawson says he’s likely to soon be assigned to one the Angels’ rookie teams."  

http://www.dsuhornets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12900&ATCLID=211804914

"Lawson expects to be assigned to one of the Angels’ Rookie League teams...He said he wants to have a ceremony on Delaware State’s campus when he officially puts pen to paper on the contract."

https://delawarestatenews.net/sport/lawson-drafted-by-angels-l-a-picks-ex-dsu-dover-high-left-hander-in-19th-round/

48 minutes ago, John Smith said:

27    Kenyon Yovan            R/R    6-2    222    12/28/97        RHP        JR

"Kenyon Yovan is returning for his redshirt-junior season at Oregon."

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/06/oregon-baseball-pitcher-kenyon-yovan-returning-for-senior-season.html

Damn!!

He was this year's Isaiah Campbell.  

7th-rder Davis Daniel signs with @Angels for $172,500 (pick 211 value = $211,500). Auburn RHP, pitched two innings this spring before needing TJ surgery, up to 97 mph late in 2018 season. @MLBDraft

Officially a member of the @Angels !!

D-Gmr1PUEAAKoXR.jpg