• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Guys.  Kyren Paris is 5 years away.  It doesn't matter who we've got at 2b right now or even the next 2-3 years.  The kid turns 18 in November.  

I am lost with the Paris pick also.  I mean, he was good value at 50, and has a lot of upside.  But it seems like the Angels over the last two years have been loading up on SS.  Between Jackson, Wilson (may move to 2nd), Soto, Rivas, and according to MLB.com the Angels are expected to sign two top SS international prospects this year (Arol Vera and Adrian Placenia).  So I am a bit lost. I hope this means they haven't given up on Jackson or some of the others. 

And even though we went pitcher heavy last year, none of those guys projects to be a starter outside of Bradish (who looks like a future #4) and Hernandez (who has really struggled).  I just do not see any pitchers in our system outside of Soriano and maybe Rodridguez (back surgery) that have the upside of Canning.  I hope to hell we pick someone like Bryce Osmond, Spencer Jones, or Evan Fitterer.  I do not believe our starting pitching depth is nearly as good as some on this board claim. 

19 minutes ago, tchula said:

But it seems like the Angels over the last two years have been loading up on SS. 

Usually the best athlete on the field. Easy to move them around if they don’t stick. Inherent trade value for those same reasons. Trout played shortstop up until his senior year.

Edited by totdprods

Some of the guys I hope we get today, even if it's just one of these four.

Eric Miller (LHP) four-year starter out of Stanford that flashes 3 above average offerings and can run it up to 96-97 MPH with his fastball. He could either be a starter or a Josh Hader type.

Drew Mendoza (3B) from FSU (Bigtime power and on-base machine from the left side)

Maurice Hampton (CF) prep true centerfielder all tooled up.

Ethan Hern (C) power hitting catcher that draws walks, has a strong arm, bats lefthanded. 

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Some of the guys I hope we get today, even if it's just one of these four.

Eric Miller (LHP) four-year starter out of Stanford that flashes 3 above average offerings and can run it up to 96-97 MPH with his fastball. He could either be a starter or a Josh Hader type.

Drew Mendoza (3B) from FSU (Bigtime power and on-base machine from the left side)

Maurice Hampton (CF) prep true centerfielder all tooled up.

Ethan Hern (C) power hitting catcher that draws walks, has a strong arm, bats lefthanded. 

I also wouldn't mind us getting Jack Leiter (nephew of MLB Network and former pitcher Al Leiter). 

The kid looks like he could be another Griffin Canning type down the road, but out of HS. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Usually the best athlete on the field. Easy to move them around if they don’t stick. Inherent trade value for those same reasons. Trout played shortstop up until his senior year.

yep...I know most of you were RFers in little league...but think about where the best players/athletes on the team usually played...shortstop. If the guy was athletic enough to play SS in college, he can easily slide over to another infield spot or even OF.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

second clip remind you of anyone?  

Honestly, to my very untrained eye,  while I see many definite improvements in the second version, there's a lot of noise in there, too.   And his high school stats aren't overwhelming.

OTOH, as a 17-year-old, you can see his evolving athleticism, so there's that.  

Of course, you just have to leave it to the scouting staff - and in a year, or 5, can say "that was a brilliant pick" (like Trout) or "oh my god, what a wasted pick" (like Clarke and Bolden, etc, ad nauseum), or "what a missed opportunity" (like draft, iirc, Amazega the spot before Pujols).

2nd round pick Kyren Paris – he’s a kid who’s been involved with MLB’s Elite Development Invitational (now Hank Aaron Invitational) since he was 13.  There’s even a picture hanging up at Dodgertown of him with the Commissioner.

Very promising scouting report. 

One of the taller and more projectable pitchers in the 2019 high school class, Kochanowicz performed well while hitting most of the major stops on the showcase circuit last summer. Like most prep arms from the Northeast, he's far from a finished project, but his potential is obvious. If he follows through on his commitment to Virginia, he could develop into a first-rounder in the 2022 Draft. Kochanowicz has an 89-93 mph fastball that tops out at 95 with riding life up in the strike zone. His 6-foot-6 frame and high-three-quarters arm slot provide plenty of downhill plane, and his size also creates extension that adds to the quality of his fastball package. He has high spin rates and good depth on his mid-70s curveball, which could be a hammer once he gains more velocity. Kochanowicz has some sink on his changeup and while it's often too firm, it should improve as he throws it more often. Many tall, young pitchers have trouble keeping their deliveries in sync, but he repeats his mechanics well and provides strikes.