• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I like that we got our future 2B and SS in this draft. 

Sucks that there wasn't any good pitchers in the draft, but we got a ton last year.

Wondering if Allan told them he wants to go to college 

Don’t forget Rengifo at 2B.

It is nice to build middle INF depth.

Now, about 3B?    Unless that ends up being Fletch’s position ultimately?

1 minute ago, rafibomb said:

We have gotten sneaky deep on the farm when it comes to pitcher. We have Madero, Bradish, Sandoval, Soriano, and Sandoval.

I think this is a very important thing to make not of.  We've got some real depth at pitcher now.  Frankly, we needed some position player depth and in particular IF position player depth which we've seen by the halos in the first two rounds today. 

8 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

We have gotten sneaky deep on the farm when it comes to pitcher. We have Madero, Bradish, Sandoval, Soriano, and Sandoval.

Last year alone is looking like a huge win for the org’s pitching...in order starting in the 3rd we got Hernandez, Bradish, English, Warren, Wantz, Smith, Lee, Morrison - and most of them for $10k or less. And they’ve done similar patterns previously. 

No issue at all with the Halos skipping pitching so far.

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Chase Strumpf literally got drafted by the Cubs as he was coming to the plate and hit a bomb.  That's pretty cool even if it was against my alma mater. 

and promptly makes an error lol 

ANGELS MAKE TWO SELECTIONS ON FIRST DAY OF 2019 MLB FIRST-YEAR PLAYER DRAFT

ANAHEIM, CA – The Angels selected INF Will Wilson (1st round, 15th overall) from North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC) and INF Kyren Paris (2nd round, 55th overall) from Freedom High School (Oakley, CA) on the first day of the 2019 First-Year Player Draft. The announcements were made by Angels’ Director of Amateur Scouting Matt Swanson.

Wilson, 20, finished his junior season at NC State batting .335 with 16 home runs, 57 RBI and .661 slugging percentage. He was named First Team All-ACC and tabbed as the ACC Defensive Player of the Year after making just six errors in the regular season. Wilson was also named one of five finalists for the Brooks Wallace Award (given to the nation’s top shortstop), the first NC State player to be named a finalist since Trea Turner in 2014. Across three seasons with the Wolfpack, the 6-0 ft., 185 lb. infielder posted a .313 (219/699) average with 39 home runs and 158 RBI.

Paris, 17, who does not turn 18 until November, completed his senior year with a .306 (16/62) batting average with 16 runs scored, three doubles, three triples, six RBI and 11 stolen bases. A four-year varsity letterman for Freedom High, he compiled a career .312 (83/266) average with 34 RBI, 50 stolen bases and 71 runs scored. Ranked as the #50 prospect in the draft according MLB.com, the 6-0 ft., 167 lb. shortstop has committed to play baseball at the University of California, Berkley. Paris is just the third player from Freedom High School to be drafted, joining Chris Bodishbaugh (drafted by the Marlins in the 38th round in 2003 but went on to play collegiate baseball) and Joe Navilhon (drafted by the Tigers in the 21st round in 2016 out of the University of Southern California). Navilhon currently pitches in the Detroit Tigers organization.

The 2019 First Year Player Draft resumes tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. (PDT) with rounds 3-10 and will conclude on Wednesday with rounds 11-40.

On 5/8/2019 at 7:44 AM, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I am a huge fan of Zach Thompson; he's one of the few College arms I'd love to get.

Josh Jung feels too perfect; I expect if he's off the board, Brett Baty (who is basically Josh Jung three years ago) could be a target too. Otherwise, I'd just go for one of the College SS; Bryson Scott (if he falls) and Will Wilson will be great 2nd basemen; Logan Davidson could stick at 3rd.  This draft is deep in College (and Prep!) Infield talent, so part of me hopes we sorta just draft a bunch of those guys. Bryson Scott would be terrific if he falls just a bit, but if we drafted all infielders for the first three rounds I'd be happy.

Hell, if teams could trade picks, I'd be begging the Angels to trade down, since I think there will be an early run on Pitchers.

Not to toot my own horn, but I am one pick away from being happy. There are just so many good IF prospects this year that taking three-4 early seems like a good way to guarantee at least one really. really  good one comes out. We've had far too many problems finding decent 2B/3B for me to hate on this pick.

Having said that, I wouldn't have hated the idea of Zach Thompson, but it's not like he's clearly better; he just fits the org needs a touch better.

I would love Brooks Lee (who I didn't even realize was on the board), Drew Mendoza (We need another 1B), or Zach Hess, who feels like he has a floor of "really good bullpen guy" and a ceiling of a #3 if he continues to smooth out his delivery, improve his control, and develop his slider or his change-up to complete his arsenal.