• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The official (slightly early) off season discussion thread. Let's hear your plan.

Docwaukee

23 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Too inconsistent? 

2015 1.109 OPS

2016 814 OPS

1017 1.008 OPS

1018 885 OPS

Even his down years he's awesome, and he is 25 years old. Even if you gave him a 10 year contract he would be 35 at the end of it. Much better than giving 10 year contract to someone 32. 

He's also a time traveler!

23 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So we were asked a question what would we do. But because you don't think it can happen. We shouldn't say it? Hmm ok how about you answer the question how you like and we will how we like. Thanks.

By all means, go right ahead, i simply thought we were trying to be partially realistic.  

Just now, floplag said:

You truly believe there is even a remote slight pubic hairs chance that they DFA Pujols?    Really?  I've got this bridge...

Ya I believe in some strange remote possibility that Pujols gets DFA'd or he retires. I have to believe in it. Because otherwise then I would believe that this organization cares more about Albert getting his at bats then they do about Ohtani getting 500 plus at bats. And I simply can't accept that as reality.

3 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Trade Upton and a couple minor leaguers for Nolan Arrennado  {with an extension}. Trade Cozart for a pitcher/prospect  [eat half of his salary]. Re-sign Maldonado. Sign starting pitching. and sign a lf'er {short term, so Marsh will have a spot ].

I can see this one possibly happening.

As much as I'd like deGrom, I'd prefer younger and cheaper.  I'd be very happy with a Buehler trade, even if it cost us Simmons.  So here is my attempt.

1.  Trade for Buehler.  Not sure why the Dodgers would need Simmons?  Is Seager not coming back next season?  Bye Simmons.

2.  Trade for Zack Wheeler.  Won't cost the prospect haul that deGrom will.

3.  Sign Machado.  Middle of the lineup presence and replacement for Simmons plus no lost draft pick.

4.  Trade for Whit Merrifield OR sign Daniel Murphy.  Trade for him (Merrifield), start him at second and lead him off.  Speed and OBP.  Or keep the prospects and sign Murphy.

5.  Sign Grandal or bring back Maldonado.

SP:  Buehler, Skaggs, Wheeler, Heaney, Barria/Canning          Lineup:  2b Merrifield/Murphy - CF Trout - DH Ohtani - SS Machado - LF Upton - C Grandal - 1B Pujols - RF Calhoun - 3b Fletcher

I'd also be fine skipping #1, doing #2, #3 but Harper instead, #4 and #5.

SP:  Skaggs, Wheeler, Heaney, Barria, Canning, Richards, Shoe   Lineup:  Merrifield/Murphy - Ohtani - Trout - Harper - Upton - Grandal - SS Simmons - Pujols - 3b Ward/Fernandez/Fletcher

Harper? Really?

Really expensive and for all the hype around the guy --- I am not that impressed.

seems to be problematic clubhouse guy -- - inconsistent on the field -- does have power.

if he is a superstar -- and MLB seems to think he is -- I'm not so sure -- he's the exact opposite spectrum 'super star' from Mike Trout.

I say spend what it takes to extend Trout to make him a lifetime Halo and forget Harper.

We're not getting DeGrom.

Arenado in a trade -- for who? Other than Trout we don't have much to trade. I guess Simmons and pitching. Arenado is a very good player.

I like our guy Simmons a whole lot.  I wouldn't trade Trout - I'd do what it takes to keep him.

Donaldson? Some team will over-pay for his past performance -- I hope it's not us.

Wheeler has been very good this season, working his way back for his first full season of pitching since being on the shelf for 2015 and 2016.  Had 3 poor performances all season (all in first 1/3 of season) where he gave up 8, 6 and 6 runs.  Even with those blow ups, he pitched to a 3.31 era, 1.12 whip, nearly a K per IP and was 10-1 from mid-June to season end FOR THE METS.  He took losses or no-decisions in 7 or 8 starts from June on where he allowed a total of 13 or 14 earned runs.  He was 12-7 but could've just as easily been 17-6 or better with better run support.

As far as Harper/Machado, I'd prefer Machado due to his coming without losing a draft pick but slotted Harper into my second hypothetical assuming Machado wouldn't play third.  If Machado will play third, sign him and our lineup would look like:  Merrifield/Murphy - Trout - Ohtani - Machado - Upton - Grandal - Simmons - Pujols - RF Calhoun 

11 minutes ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Wheeler has been very good this season, working his way back for his first full season of pitching since being on the shelf for 2015 and 2016.  Had 3 poor performances all season (all in first 1/3 of season) where he gave up 8, 6 and 6 runs.  Even with those blow ups, he pitched to a 3.31 era, 1.12 whip, nearly a K per IP and was 10-1 from mid-June to season end FOR THE METS.  He took losses or no-decisions in 7 or 8 starts from June on where he allowed a total of 13 or 14 earned runs.  He was 12-7 but could've just as easily been 17-6 or better with better run support.

As far as Harper/Machado, I'd prefer Machado due to his coming without losing a draft pick but slotted Harper into my second hypothetical assuming Machado wouldn't play third.  If Machado will play third, sign him and our lineup would look like:  Merrifield/Murphy - Trout - Ohtani - Machado - Upton - Grandal - Simmons - Pujols - RF Calhoun 

I like Wheeler as well and feel he's someone who we could get.

As for Harper (not a big fan - see prior post) Machado? I don't think we can afford him - where would he play ? SS -- I think our guy Simmons is better quite frankly.

Merrifield? Is he a F/A ? If so I like him a lot - can't imagine KC parting with him if he's not a F/A.

Murphy would cost some bucks - solid player but past his peak?  Always liked the guy.

Catcher ? How about the guy we had this past month who caught, pitched and hit a home run to make MLB history. Grandal? only at a decent price.

Biggest question mark - Pujols -- I don't him being released -- so the issue becomes do we platoon him at DH with far less playing time. I mean -- he's a GIDP with a guy on first less than two out every time...........

I'd probably trade Calhoun in a package for pitching.

it's almost officiallly the off-season  because these pie in the sky trade scenarios are popping up.

Yeah, the Dodgers will trade Buehler who has quietly become their ace over Kershaw the second half -- that'll happen.

yeah - let's make it Buehler for Pujols and Calhoun while we're at it.......

Halos should concentrate on signing Trout long term and building a team to win in 2020 and thereafter around Trout, Simmons., Ohtani

I'd find a free agent or trade target with a history of good OBP who can play third, second, and/or first. Donaldson might actually be a great fit.

I'd at least kick the tires on Harper and Machado. Signing one would send a message to Mike Trout that the team is serious about winning. 

I'd go all in on Pat Corbin.

I'd bring in two very good pen arms. Maybe one through free agency and another via trade. 

Assuming no Machado/Harper, I'd look seriously at Grandal.

What would I do?  I'd probably operate with around 35 million AAV to play with before we meet our max payroll....

1. Sign Josh Donaldson 4/60 million.  He has a chance to outhit both Harper and Machado but at a fraction of the price.

2. Sign Daniel Murphy 3/30 million.  He's a great left handed hitter and we could use the balance.

3. Sign Dallas Keuchel 5/75 million.  Extreme ground ball pitcher that would steady a staff that hasn't found any sort of consistency. 

4. Cut loose Noe Ramirez, Jefry Marte, Deck McGuire etc....

5. Trade Jose Alvarez - He's been nails this year, but quite frankly, I think they should sell high.  I think he's overrated.  Get an interesting prospect for him if you can. 

6. Buy out Pujols' remaining years, even if it only saves the Angels a couple million at the most, even if it only means saving a roster spot.  Whatever, in this scenario, he's not the starting 1B.

7. Trade Zack Cozart and Kole Calhoun, even if it only means saving 5-10 million.  Cozart is a fine defensive infielder, just as Calhoun is a fine defensive outfielder, but neither hit enough to be starters at this point. 

8. Sign Jon Jay 1/5 million.

9. Sign a Jose Iglesias type as a minor league free agent with the mind that you'll make him the UTIL. 

10. Re-up Eric Young Jr to be the 4th OF. 

11. Trade Cam Bedrosian.  Get whatever you can. 

- Roughly speaking, this figures to result in a team that's approximately 10 million more expensive than the 2018 Angels.  

The team would be....

1. SS Andrelton Simmons 2. CF Mike Trout 3. DH Shohei Ohtani 4. 3B Josh Donaldson 5. 1B Daniel Murphy 6. LF Justin Upton 7. RF Jon Jay 8. C Arcia 9. 2B David Fletcher

BENCH: 2B/SS Iglesias, 1B/2B/3B Jose Miguel Fernandez, C Briceno, OF Young. 

Rotation: 1. Dallas Keuchel 2. Tyler Skaggs 3. Andrew Heaney 4. Jaime Barria 5. Matt Shoemaker

Bullpen: 1. Blake Parker 2. Justin Anderson 3. Ty Buttery 4. Hansel Robles 5. Felix Pena 6. JC Ramirez 7. Alex Meyer (Plus Middleton when he's ready)

EXPLANATION - Having Donaldson and Murphy takes a lot of pressure off of Upton to back up Trout.  Trout's been pitched around this year because he's great, but also because there just wasn't a credible threat behind him for the vast majority of the year until Shohei was moved up and was hitting everyday.  Move Upton into a spot in the order where it'll be great if he produces, but if he doesn't, he has a few guys that can also step up.  

The Rotation still leaves a lot to be desired but I think it'll be ok for a number of reasons. a-I really think Shoemaker is back for good now.  They figured out the issue and he'll be a steady, yet unspectacular presence at the back end.  b-Keuchel is an extreme ground ball pitcher and if you put him in front of Simmons and Fletcher, it'll result is some great numbers.  c-Barria and Heaney are very steady.  It won't be like years past. The whole rotation should be much more stable.  Not amazing, but the Angels don't need amazing, they just need steady.  d-Canning is going to force his way into the rotation before the all-star break and Angels fans really don't realize just how good this kid is, but they will.  I think he'll take the league by storm next year.  

While the bullpen doesn't feature a lefty, it features a collection of pitchers that get lefties out.  But I really think this will be a masterpiece of a bullpen because the sheer velocity.  We'll feature six different relievers hitting the upper 90's, along with Middleton and Jerez at some point as well.   Plus Pena, Ramirez and Meyer can all go multiple innings, which takes a lot of pressure off the rotation.  And if a lefty is needed, jose Suarez down in AAA could handle the duty. 

I truly believe that this team would be a winner, and it would be built without forking over hundreds of millions on Harper or Machado.

$30 million. 

Thats approximately how much payroll the Angels can add. If you want to do things like non-tender Matt Shoemaker ($5M) or JC Ramírez ($2-3M), you can increase that. 

Also, that’s real payroll, not AAV. If you wanna sign Dallas Keuchel for 4/80, but only pay him $15m in 19, count it as 15.

I think they need...

1 durable SP

1 starting C

1 or 2 infielders, at least one of whom is an everyday player. One of them has to be able to play 1B. If there’s another, he plays 2B or 3B.

1 4th OF who can play all 3 spots and is good enough to start (if Calhoun needs to be benched).

Any optionable relievers they can find in minor trades or on the waiver wire. 

I think I might use my one trade bullet on JT Realmuto and go FA/waivers for the rest.