• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The official (slightly early) off season discussion thread. Let's hear your plan.

Docwaukee

1 minute ago, wopphil said:

@Jeff Fletcher, you think the Angels have the stomach to give a huge deal to Corbin? There aren't a lot of good starting pitching options on the free agent market. And it would send the right message to Trout. 

I heard Corbin wants to be a Yankee. But if that’s not true, I think it’s possible he’s a target. 

I wouldn’t worry about sending messages to Trout. That whole idea is overblown. You can send him about 400 million messages that will be more significant. 

1. New Manager

2. Fix or determine a solution for all the arm injuries/ Conditioning Staff , For example,  having pitchers do certain things over the off-season such as Yoga.

3. Famillia: 4yrs 32 mil

4.   Daniel Murphy to 3/35 mil or if he doesn't sign, Walker on a minor league deal

5. Eovaldi 4/48

6. If we have enough money, sign Grandel 

6. Carlos Gomez on a minor league deal. 

4 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. New Manager

2. Fix or determine a solution for all the arm injuries/ Conditioning Staff , For example,  having pitchers do certain things over the off-season such as Yoga.

4.   Daniel Murphy to 3/35 mil or if he doesn't sign, Walker on a minor league deal

5. Eovaldi 4/48

You had me until you said Gomez.  He’s one of my least favorite players. 

17 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. New Manager

5. Eovaldi 4/48

Trout extension should be number 2 right after signing a manager (Scioscia probably). 

I am guessing that the organization is already working on a solution to the seemingly high number of pitching injuries. Familia would be a good idea. Don't know much about Murphy or Walker (if it was Chico than I'm in!). Eovaldi works, Grandel would be nice. Pass on CarGo, when the Astros no longer want an aging star, the Angels should follow their lead.

I don't think the Angels will go after Realmuto, instead I think they sign a veteran to a 1 or 2 year deal (possibly Kurt Suzuki?).

They're not going to sign Corbin or Kuechel. I could see them offering Lance Lynn a 2 year (option) deal to see if he can bounce back from his miserable year.

I think Cozart starts at 3b and Fletcher at 2nd with JMF on the bench.

I'd like for them to sign two bullpen arms (Andrew Miller and Dan Jennings).

20 hours ago, OhtaniSan said:

My Ideal Plan

- For the luxury tax payroll, the $162.77 million according to Jeff Fletcher is the actual amount of present obligations for the 2019 Season. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q7dlNaSqB4vip6QD88MCaahpPjiZrS7dgOam_TrElLg/edit#gid=0

- The luxury tax threshold, which owner Arte Moreno has indicated as the spending limit in years past, is $206 million for 2019, leaving roughly $44 million to be played with. 

1. Sign Manny Machado -to a 10/350 mil contract. (35 mil aav, 9 mil left)

2. Trade for JT Realmuto - for Jones, Suarez, and Ward (Realmuto is projected to make $7 mil in 2019, 2 mil left)

3. Mike trout extension

4. Eric Chavez as the new manager

Lineup

1. Simmons - SS

2. Realmuto - C

3. Trout - CF

4. Machado - 3B

5. Ohtani - DH

6. Upton - LF

7. Calhoun RF

8. Thaiss/Pujols - 1B

9.  Fletcher/Cozart - 2B

Bench: 

C - Arcia

IF - Fletcher/Cozart

1B - Thaiss/Pujols

OF - EYJ 

Rotation

1. Skaggs

2. Heaney

3. Barria

4. Pena 

5. Shoemaker

Optional moves:

Trade Calhoun and Cozart for scraps/payroll dump ( Free's roughly 23 million, 25 mil in total)

Sign Markakis to 1 year deal for 12 mil, team option for 2nd year. (13 mil left)

Sign Ottavino to 2/18 mil

Trouts extension is only going to be 2 million more towards the cap?  

Here's attempt #2 assuming more limited funds (approx. $35 million to spend):

1.  Trade for Zack Wheeler.  Who cares what Lou thinks!  He just made $1.9 million and is arb eligible. 1/5

2.  Sign Nathan Eovaldi.  4/44.

3.  Sign Jeurys Familia.  4/32.

4.  Sign Daniel Murphy.  3/30.  Or Josh Donaldson.  4/60.  Fletcher likely moves to cover whichever position is unsigned between 2b/3b.

5.  Bring back Machete.  2/5.

SP:  Skaggs, Wheeler, Heaney, Eovaldi, Barria, Canning, Shoe  

Lineup:  Simmons- Ohtani - Trout - Upton - 2b Murphy - Pujols - RF Calhoun - 3b Ward/Fernandez/Fletcher - C Machete/Arcia

Lineup:  Simmons - Trout - Ohtani - 3b Donaldson - Upton - Calhoun - Pujols - 2b Fernandez/Fletcher - Machete/Arcia

19 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Too inconsistent? 

2015 1.109 OPS

2016 814 OPS

1017 1.008 OPS

1018 885 OPS

Even his down years he's awesome, and he is 25 years old. Even if you gave him a 10 year contract he would be 35 at the end of it. Much better than giving 10 year contract to someone 32. 

Do you really want to pay $30-40M per year for the Ervin Santana of outfielders?

I’ll give this a try!

#1. Extend Trout

#2. Trade Suarez, Ward, Jam Jones, Calhoun for Bumgarner. 

He has a year left on his deal and SF is pretty weak in the OF, and Calhoun could be a good one year stop gap while their minor league OF talent comes through the ranks. They’re also thin on middle IF/3B depth in their system and LHP. Although we are thin with pitching and 3B depth so this could be risky, and they may ask for an Adell/Canning/Maitan to which I’d say no unless he’s willing to sign an extension with the trade  

#3. Sign Nick Markakis 

Good 1-2 year stop gap until Adell is ready. Good on base skills and would be exactly the kind of bat we need to add to the power of Trout/Ohtani/Upton

#4. Sign Grandal

Arcia/Briceno are both good backups, Maldonado is familiar with the staff but seeing him in the everyday lineup just doesn’t seem like a winning move. I don’t know if Catcher is a position Eppler views like relief pitching, where solid defensive stop gaps are better value than a big signing, but this is an area with no long term solution in house and actually makes our lineup look respectable 

#5. Sign Ottavino

We have a good crop of cheap relievers, I think Eppler can afford to sign a semi- high priced veteran while we sort through all of our pitching depth next year 

i think Eppler goes internally for the rest of the infield and bench, lots of solid and cheap in house options that will already be an improvement over Valbuena/Marte/early 2018 Kinsler

C Grandal/Briceno/Arcia 

1B Fernandez/Pujols/Thaiss 

2B Fletcher/Rengifo/Cozart

3B Cozart/Fletcher

SS Simmons/Cozart/Fletcher

LF Upton

CF Trout 

RF Markakis 

DH Ohtani/ pujols

Bumgarner/Skaggs/Heaney/Barria/Pena with Canning in the mix

Shoemaker/Cole/Bedrosian/Alvarez/Robles/Anderson/Parker/Middleton (eventually)/Ottavino

I think with Calhoun’s contract going out and Bumgarmers going in, we could still afford these moves. 

Many know my admiration for Eugenio Suarez.  If we could get him without giving up Adell or Canning, I would give the Reds anyone else.  He's signed through 2025.   7.3m next year.  2025 is an option of 15m.  about 6/60 left without the option.  However, regardless of who we'd be willing to give up, Cinnci seems like they're going to start thinking about trying to win and they need pitching.  So it likely costs both Canning and Suarez in addition to Marsh.  I think that would be a no go for Billy.  What might work is if we do Skaggs or Heaney.  I think Heaney, Jose Suarez and another prospect.  Maybe Taylor Ward.  I would love for it to be Shoe instead of Heaney, but I don't think that gets it done unless we add Marsh instead of Ward.  You end up about +3 mil in salary.  (Heaney first year arb).  

With that, Cozart moves to 2b with Fletch at the util.  

so now we need to replenish our pitching even more. I think Corbin is a lock for the yankees.  I'm fine with that.  

Yusei Kikuchi is rumored to be coming from NPB.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=kikuch000yus.  This seems like an outside the box add.  Don't know what the cost wold be in years, but I think he'd get less than $10m next year.  Maybe $8m.  (+11m)

I don't like solid yet over 30 SP free agent signings.  So instead of going with Keuchel, I'd rather see a 1+1 for JA Happ.  1/10m with a 10m option.   (+21m).  

We need a catcher that can hit.  I think Miami is going to want to cut a fat hog on a Realmuto trade.  Which would include Adell and Canning.  Not dong that when a couple solid free agents exist in Ramos and Grandal.  Ramos is entering age 31 so I think we can get him for 3 years.  3/45m.  First year 12mil  (+33m).  

At the end of the off season there are always players available that weren't expected to be.  Going with Leonys Martin as a 4th OFer.  1/3 (+36).  But I think they'll be a number of other players in this bucket to choose from.  

Adding 36mil is likely more than what the Angels would prefer for 2019, but I think there some wiggle room to shave 3-4 mil off of my estimates.  I could see them dropping JC Ramirez and signing him to a more affordable deal to save a couple mil.  

That leaves JMF as the platoon 1bman with 

So the final result?  

Simmons
Trout
Ohtani
Suarez
Upton
Ramos
Pujols/JMF
Calhoun
Cozart

bench:  one of Arcia/Briceno, Leonys Martin, JMF, Fletcher

rotation:  Skaggs, Happ, Barria, Kikuchi, Shoe.  Depth of Pena, Canning

bullpen:  Parker, Anderson, Buttrey, Cole, Robles, Alvarez, Bedrosian.  

What I like?  
That offense could lead the league.  There's also minor league depth.  
The bullpen could actually be pretty good.  

What I don't like?
The lack of a true leadoff hitter although I think Rengifo is going to steal the 2b job by mid year.  
The rotation is a bit thin for my taste.  

5 hours ago, Kody Mac said:

I don't think the Angels will go after Realmuto, instead I think they sign a veteran to a 1 or 2 year deal (possibly Kurt Suzuki?).

They're not going to sign Corbin or Kuechel. I could see them offering Lance Lynn a 2 year (option) deal to see if he can bounce back from his miserable year.

I think Cozart starts at 3b and Fletcher at 2nd with JMF on the bench.

I'd like for them to sign two bullpen arms (Andrew Miller and Dan Jennings).

and how does this even put us close to the playoff discussion?
If it doesnt do that whats the point?

35 minutes ago, floplag said:

and how does this even put us close to the playoff discussion?
If it doesnt do that whats the point?

Because it's already an upgrade. Remember, the Angels were playing good baseball until all the injuries, and that was with a black hole on RF for half the season and the Valbueno/Marte Partay train.

You get two reliable bullpen arms and hope someone steps up as closer because I don't see Blake Parker keeping the job.

You get a decent innings eater in Lynn and hope someone steps up to be a front of the rotation guy because the Angels can't afford to buy one.

Putting Cozart at 3rd is not only a good defensive move, but if he hits his career norm, he's worlds better than Valbuena and gives Ward some extra seasoning in AAA.

Signing a veteran catcher like Suzuki would be great for the rookies to learn from, whichever one they keep in the majors.

It's not sexy, but it could work and won't break the bank. I know everyone wants a Machado or a deGrom, but it's not gonna happen.