• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The official (slightly early) off season discussion thread. Let's hear your plan.

Docwaukee

58 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

See now I think that's oversimplifying Adell and what his value is to the team. Sure, that the best possible plan, to have him roam RF next to Tout for the next 10 years, but what if Trout leaves?

Marsh plays center. But more importantly you don't burn Adell taking away a roster spot. You don't waste money on a position that already has a solution for 2019 (Calhoun), 2020 (Adell) and beyond. 

The Angels need, more than anything, a starting pitcher. They need a reasonable backup for 1st base because Pujols is playing on 60 year old knees. They could use a solid setup or closer. They might even consider 3rd or 2nd base upgrade making Cozart or Fletcher the utility infielder. 

But right field is about 12th on the list for a change. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Marsh plays center. But more importantly you don't burn Adell taking away a roster spot. You don't waste money on a position that already has a solution for 2019 (Calhoun), 2020 (Adell) and beyond. 

The Angels need, more than anything, a starting pitcher. They need a reasonable backup for 1st base because Pujols is playing on 60 year old knees. They could use a solid setup or closer. They might even consider 3rd or 2nd base upgrade making Cozart or Fletcher the utility infielder. 

You say waste money. I say spending money to replace one of the worst offensive starting right fielders in the league is money well spent.

Take Starling Marte for instance. He doesn't make any more than Calhoun really, but has two option years for 2020 and 2021. It isn't spending money as much as its spending prospects to fill a position with all-star, good glover and power hitting top of the order hitter. The only way I don't make a deal for him is if they're asking for Canning or Adell, or if I believed that Brandon Marsh would be better than Marte (assuming he'd be part of the package). 

Pitching is an issue, no argument there, but I'd argue the bigger issue is health. Our pitchers are plenty talented, they just can't stay on the mound. But a big problem that hasn't gone away since 2014, is the fact that we can't get anyone on base in front of Mike Trout.

Starling Marte solves that problem and then some.

14 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Our pitchers are plenty talented...

Other than Barria none of our "talented" pitchers had an ERA under 4. 

Right field is not a concern. Marte is wasting prospect value for an in house solution or at the very worst case scenario a free agency platoon player. 

Calhoun's biggest negative is batting him anywhere near the top of the order. You slide him to 6th or 7th and live with the defense.

19 hours ago, Blarg said:

^^^

@Scotty@AW is correct that the Angels can do better than Calhoun with a guy like Marte. But they could also use whatever money or prospect capital they have to fill a hole that is more gaping than RF. 

Calhoun had an .800 OPS for half a season after he changed his swing. Major league average for RF is about .770. If Calhoun brings the same swing back next year, and plays his always good defense, that’s fine.  

They are way below average at C, 2B, 3B and 1B. And I’m not sure the options to get to average are available in the system. Eppler seems to believe Cozart will fill one and one of Fletcher, Ward, Rengifo, Thaiss will fill the other infield spots and he kind of admits they need a C.

I am more skeptical of the infield options in house than I am of Calhoun. 

I’ve gotten to the point where I’d trade 3 top 10 prospects not named Adell or Canning for Realmuto.  Say, Suarez, Marsh/Adams and Jones/Rengifo.  Realmuto would transform this line up and instantly fill a hole where the Angels genuinely do not have good alternatives.  They should go hard after him if they are serious about competing in the next 2 years.   If we aren’t gonna get a guy like Realmuto.  Who legitimately takes care of needs without alternatives.  I don’t see the point of trading any of the prospects. 

I’d like to see them bring in Matt Harvey or Lance Lynn or someone else like that to shore up the rotation.  Harvey is my preference because I believe there’s pretty solid potential for big upside.

And, I’ve really warmed to the idea of bringing on Marwin Gonzalez.  He can fill in at RF if Calhoun is a failure.  He does this without blocking Adell.  They can stick him at 1B,  they can stick him at 2B or 3B if one of Ward or Cozart or Fletcher falters.  He gives us a safe bet for average production in a very versatile package.  He’s also a switch hitter, something that’s important for the Angels being able to field a line up with some handedness balance.  He also brings a championship pedigree that can’t hurt.  I figure he’ll command a salary of no more then 15 million AAV.  Maybe we can do better then that.  In any case, he seems to fit very nicely.  This line up looks really nice right now.  

Realmuto, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Simmons, Gonzalez, Cozart, Calhoun/Ward/Fletcher/Rengifo/Pujols. 

So with the addition of Realmuto, Gonzalez, and Harvey.  I think the Angels stay in the neighborhood of the supposed 30 million additional in AAV budget.  We address multiple serious concerns around the diamond thus thrusting the Angels into a legitimate position to challenge the elite teams in the league.   Also, we give the rotation a little bit more of a hedge against injuries.  Maybe better then that if Harvey finds some consistency.   Anyway, that’s my swing at this. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

10 minutes ago, Lou said:

Lynn or Harvey?  we have an entire pitching staff full of Lynns and Harveys.

also, Boras is Harvey's agent. 

I’m not trading prospects for a pitcher.  I just don’t believe in doing that for players with a high incidence of injury.  I don’t want to pay Corbin or Keuchel ace money.   Harvey and Lynn are both cheap.  Both seemingly healthy.  And both have solid upside. The Angels biggest issue in the rotation is healthy bodies.  One more healthy pitcher helps a lot.  And if either bounces back at all.  Well, great. 

The Boras thing is a good point that I overlooked.  But maybe that can be overcome for once. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

Question: for all those advocating replacing Calhoun, what happens to him in your scenarios? 

"here we go yo,here we go yo . . ."

Well if he sucks.  And I think last year indicated there’s a very good chance of that, he can sit on the bench.  If he’s fine.  Then he can play.  We need versatility, which is why I like Gonzalez. 

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Well if he sucks.  And I think last year indicated there’s a very good chance of that, he can sit on the bench.  If he’s fine.  Then he can play.  We need versatility, which is why I like Gonzalez. 

Gonzalez is definitely a fit. But he’ll be a fit for a lot of teams and I think he’s going to get a lot of money. I can’t see the Angels spending more than $5-6M on anyone who isn’t a pitcher, based on what Eppler said. 

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I like him, too, but then we'll be paying him and Calhoun a combined $25 million to play RF. 

12 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not trading prospects for a pitcher.  I just don’t believe in doing that for players with a high incidence of injury.  I don’t want to pay Corbin or Keuchel ace money.   Harvey and Lynn are both cheap.  Both seemingly healthy.  And both have solid upside. The Angels biggest issue in the rotation is healthy bodies.  One more healthy pitcher helps a lot.  And if either bounces back at all.  Well, great. 

The Boras thing is a good point that I overlooked.  But maybe that can be overcome for once. 

yes, but my point is that we don't need any more crappy pitchers just because they can eat up innings. Harvey would have been our worst SP (min 8 starts) this season.

his lowest era in the past 3 years was 4.84 

9 minutes ago, Lou said:

I like him, too, but then we'll be paying him and Calhoun a combined $25 million to play RF. 

For one year.  Better then being stuck with Calhoun batting .159

anyway,  mostly I want him on the infield.  He can fill in for Calhoun only if he’s a complete train wreck.  I’m just worried that he might be. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I’m now thinking Eovaldi might be an Angels prime target. 

He just had TJ so he ought to be clear. He throws hard (which Eppler likes). He was acquired by the Yankees when Eppler was there. He’s also still 28.

I am thinking maybe 3/40?

I saw a thing on MLB Network today about Keuchel’s decline which makes giving him 4-5 years seem really dicey. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’m now thinking Eovaldi might be an Angels prime target. 

He just had TJ so he ought to be clear. He throws hard (which Eppler likes). He was acquired by the Yankees when Eppler was there. He’s also still 28.

I am thinking maybe 3/40?

I saw a thing on MLB Network today about Keuchel’s decline which makes giving him 4-5 years seem really dicey. 

shoot, if eovaldi would take 3/40, i'd be all over that. i don't care how much you pay a guy per year, it's the number of years that matter. any three year contract is worth it, basically.