• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The official (slightly early) off season discussion thread. Let's hear your plan.

Docwaukee

Bryce Harper. Players of his caliber don’t become free agents all that often. Why I think this works? For starters, that makes Calhoun that 1Bman that can play when Pujols gets time off because we all know he’s going to play. Kole can also play all three outfield spots. Signing Harper makes some of the high end outfield prospects we have available to trade for high end pitching. From a business standpoint, it puts the Angels back on the map. Along with Trout, they make for a must see duo.  (The past couple of years have not been good with the success of the team up north). A 3, 4 and 5 of Trout, Harper and Ohtani is probably the best combo out there. 

18 minutes ago, martinpa25 said:

Bryce Harper. Players of his caliber don’t become free agents all that often. Why I think this works? For starters, that makes Calhoun that 1Bman that can play when Pujols gets time off because we all know he’s going to play. Kole can also play all three outfield spots. Signing Harper makes some of the high end outfield prospects we have available to trade for high end pitching. From a business standpoint, it puts the Angels back on the map. Along with Trout, they make for a must see duo.  (The past couple of years have not been good with the success of the team up north). A 3, 4 and 5 of Trout, Harper and Ohtani is probably the best combo out there. 

Ohtani, Trout, Harper or Harper, Trout, Ohtani? Gotta keep the RLR for matchups :)

2 hours ago, Kody Mac said:

Ohtani, Trout, Harper or Harper, Trout, Ohtani? Gotta keep the RLR for matchups :)

Not interested in adding Harper to this team. We need pitching, a Catcher, part time 1st baseman and either a 3rd or second baseman. OF is way down on the priority list and we aren’t going to allocate all of our funds on one guy.  

16 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yup - find a platoon/vet catcher who is good for a .315+ OBP (don’t need much to be an improvement over what we’ve had), a 2B/3B who has a track record of offering plus OBP and give him outright, or at least the opportunity, to win a starting role over Fletcher, find a LH 1B also with a track record of good OBP, and then round out the bench with either a potential 4th OF/UT IF option who also has a good BA/OBP track record.

I don’t think we need one massive improvement; just incremental gains from our bench and platoon offerings coupled with natural improvement that Fletcher and Ohtani will bring in their respective roles should be enough to give us a lift. 

Who do you think can work at these positions; C, 2b/3b, 1b? 

I haven't even entertained the idea of Harper, but the reality is that one move would be a monumental game changer for the team.

That duo would be LEGENDARY.

And the Angels would suddenly have the ability to easily make a deal for a true top of the rotation starter.

It's not happening but if I force myself to picture it. . .wow.

17 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Take 2 or what ever number....................... Player or trades i would like us to look into.

1. Trade for Gray

2. Try to sign Evolaldi  4 yrs 36 mil

3. Andrew Miller( 2yr/ 15 mil)  and Familia (3yrs/27 Mil)

5. Denard Span has a 4th or backup to Calhoun

I've been reading that Evoaldi could get a contract up to 4yrs and 80 mil.

If we are talking FA signings only and not including trades, what do you think about these two options.  I got my projections from the Jon Heyman linked article in another thread.

Option 1 (total spend $34.5 million):

SP:

Nathan Eovaldi - 4yrs, 60 million - 15 million per year

Utility:

Daniel Murphy - 2yrs, 19 million - 9.5 mil per year

4th OF:

Jon Jay - 2yrs, 8 million - 4 million per year

SP/RP - we can go either way with this one.

Greg Holland/Anibal Sanchez - 1yr, 6 mil

Option 2 (total spend $37.5 Million):

SP:

Nathan Eovaldi - 4yrs, 60 million - 15 million per year

Anibal Sanchez - 1yr, 6 million

RP:

Greg Holland - 1yr, 6 million

Adam Warren - 3yr, 15 million - 5 million per year

Utility:

Neil Walker - 1yr, 3 million

4th OF

Carlos Gomez - 1yr, 2,5 million

I still think there’s a chance Eppler mixes this team up quite a bit this offseason. Presumably, Eppler himself is under contract with his new manager and coaching staff for the foreseeable future now, and that comes with some added security that did not exist his first couple of offseasons. 

I also think Arte, Eppler, and Trout (or at least his agent) privately have an understanding on what his next contract looks like, and an idea on the likelihood he stays. 

Couple those with the renewed farm depth, I do not think there is as much internal pressure to ‘win now’ this season, maybe even next. They’ll still work to build a contender, and even do some lip service to the casual fans, but to us diehards its pretty apparent at this point that Eppler has been rebuilding, and there’s no reason to think that will suddenly stop now. 

It’s easy to fill in the gaps of where we have needs knowing the way Eppler has operated in years past, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we see unexpected changes and some deviations, such as moving on from Kole, Bedrosian, Shoemaker, Tropeano, Meyer, even Skaggs, as well as a shuffling of the prospect deck to land a big name like the Simmons trade.

"The Cleveland Indians will listen to trade offers for some of their veteran players this winter as they face the sort of difficult choices that small-market teams must address, according to sources.

The Indians will hold on to shortstop Francisco Lindor and MVP candidate Jose Ramirez next season, but they have indicated to the industry that they are prepared to discuss other accomplished players, including 2017 Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber, pitcher Carlos Carrasco, catchers Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez, slugger Edwin Encarnacion and second baseman Jason Kipnis, among others."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25157907/cleveland-indians-listen-trade-offers-veteran-players

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

"The Cleveland Indians will listen to trade offers for some of their veteran players this winter as they face the sort of difficult choices that small-market teams must address, according to sources.

The Indians will hold on to shortstop Francisco Lindor and MVP candidate Jose Ramirez next season, but they have indicated to the industry that they are prepared to discuss other accomplished players, including 2017 Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber, pitcher Carlos Carrasco, catchers Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez, slugger Edwin Encarnacion and second baseman Jason Kipnis, among others."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25157907/cleveland-indians-listen-trade-offers-veteran-players

What do you think it would take to get Kluber, Carrasco or Gomes?

I have what in my mind would be a great plan, though most here would not agree with it and there is little point to rehashing the same arguments again...  instead ill say this, if there was ever a time to blow past the lux tax and take that risk for a couple/few years, this is it.  Do i think it will happen, no, i dont, but i remain hopeful.

This front office is notoriously tight lipped and generally say little about tis plan, so i cant help but wonder if all the open talk to date could possibly be misdirection?  im sure thats just wishful thinking. 

This FA class is like no other ive seen in a very long time, it may not line up with our budget and other concerns, but to let it pass without getting involved would be a damn shame. 

16 hours ago, totdprods said:

I still think there’s a chance Eppler mixes this team up quite a bit this offseason. Presumably, Eppler himself is under contract with his new manager and coaching staff for the foreseeable future now, and that comes with some added security that did not exist his first couple of offseasons. 

I also think Arte, Eppler, and Trout (or at least his agent) privately have an understanding on what his next contract looks like, and an idea on the likelihood he stays. 

Couple those with the renewed farm depth, I do not think there is as much internal pressure to ‘win now’ this season, maybe even next. They’ll still work to build a contender, and even do some lip service to the casual fans, but to us diehards its pretty apparent at this point that Eppler has been rebuilding, and there’s no reason to think that will suddenly stop now. 

It’s easy to fill in the gaps of where we have needs knowing the way Eppler has operated in years past, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we see unexpected changes and some deviations, such as moving on from Kole, Bedrosian, Shoemaker, Tropeano, Meyer, even Skaggs, as well as a shuffling of the prospect deck to land a big name like the Simmons trade.

you'd be selling low on a bunch of the guys you mentioned so I don't see Billy doing that especially when Meyer and Trop in particular have the potential to get better.  Skaggs might be an interesting trade option as I've recently mentioned.  We owe Kole too much money for 2019 for him to be tradeable after his dreadful year. If they truly figured out Shoe's problem he's actually a cheap option for the back of the rotation.  If they decline arb on him it will be because they don't believe he can be healthy.  I think he's planning on moving on from a bunch of guys but not til 2020/21 when more farm options show up.  

But I wouldn't have a problem with them moving Skaggs as long as the return was for a position player of the future that's ready now.  

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

you'd be selling low on a bunch of the guys you mentioned so I don't see Billy doing that especially when Meyer and Trop in particular have the potential to get better.  Skaggs might be an interesting trade option as I've recently mentioned.  We owe Kole too much money for 2019 for him to be tradeable after his dreadful year. If they truly figured out Shoe's problem he's actually a cheap option for the back of the rotation.  If they decline arb on him it will be because they don't believe he can be healthy.  I think he's planning on moving on from a bunch of guys but not til 2020/21 when more farm options show up.  

But I wouldn't have a problem with them moving Skaggs as long as the return was for a position player of the future that's ready now.  

You’re 100% accurate on all of those points...it’d be more about Eppler simply cutting bait. Change of scenery, new names. Is the juice worth the squeeze when it comes to paying Trop $1-2m after arbitration when his FIP was poor and he battled constant shoulder injuries, or best to move on and try fresh blood? Meyer is talented but being out of options, is it worth keeping him on the 40 all offseason just to have an outside shot at sticking following his injuries and volatility?

Coming into this job, there was the cloud of Dipoto vs. Sosh, Sosh’s influence over the decisions, Arte’s meddling, etc. etc., and while I believe a lot of that is overblown surely there’d be a smidge of truth in the environment when Eppler, a first time GM, started. 

Presumably he has the experience and the security now knowing it’s more or less his team and his staff up and down the org, and he’s not as beholden to making it all work with what he inherited. He has a few years ahead of him now to work with, and he may be a little more open to shuffling the deck this offseason.

Especially with a new manager and unclear expectations on how the team should perform in 2019, it’d be easy to really reset the board.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

You’re 100% accurate on all of those points...it’d be more about Eppler simply cutting bait. Change of scenery, new names. Is the juice worth the squeeze when it comes to paying Trop $1-2m after arbitration when his FIP was poor and he battled constant shoulder injuries, or best to move on and try fresh blood? Meyer is talented but being out of options, is it worth keeping him on the 40 all offseason just to have an outside shot at sticking following his injuries and volatility?

Coming into this job, there was the cloud of Dipoto vs. Sosh, Sosh’s influence over the decisions, Arte’s meddling, etc. etc., and while I believe a lot of that is overblown surely there’d be a smidge of truth in the environment when Eppler, a first time GM, started. 

Presumably he has the experience and the security now knowing it’s more or less his team and his staff up and down the org, and he’s not as beholden to making it all work with what he inherited. He has a few years ahead of him now to work with, and he may be a little more open to shuffling the deck this offseason.

Especially with a new manager and unclear expectations on how the team should perform in 2019, it’d be easy to really reset the board.

Eppler is in the last year of his contract, so it’s tough to assume job security.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Eppler is in the last year of his contract, so it’s tough to assume job security.  

Thats actually a very key point to bring up that ill be honest and say i had forgotten/overlooked.  WE all here seem to talk about the long term plan, well many of us, but one would think if Arte was wholly buying into the long term plan he would have been extended by now.  Does this tell us Epp needs to win in 19 or at very minimum take a giant step forward?

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Thats actually a very key point to bring up that ill be honest and say i had forgotten/overlooked.  WE all here seem to talk about the long term plan, well many of us, but one would think if Arte was wholly buying into the long term plan he would have been extended by now.  Does this tell us Epp needs to win in 19 or at very minimum take a giant step forward?

I am guessing an extension is coming, probably after free agency, although it might be helpful if it is taken care of prior to free agency, but that seems less likely.  

As for Arte, he better buy into the long term plan because if he truly has tighten the purse strings (which I believe is overstated) then he is going to need young guys to come up and do their job at league minimum so he can still pay for Albert, Upton, Trout and his extension, as well as hopefully Simmons and his possibly extension.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Right - in this scenario I’m assuming either he gets extended this offseason as well or has some previously undisclosed options that get picked up.

I’ve mentioned before in other threads that it may also mean he is a little more bold this offseason and actually does go after some big names.