• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Theoretical (not likely to happen) question... Machado/Arenado

floplag

On 9/16/2018 at 12:30 PM, Lou said:

if it were just comparing the players, I would choose Arenado. however, when weighing the addition of prospects and uncertainty of having Arenado for not more than 1 season, I would have to choose Machado. 

Arenado's STATs away form Coors Field are not as good.

Home .347/.427/.660/1.088 - 20 HR

Away .248/.325/.440/.765 - 14 HR

Angel Stadium is far cry from Coors Field...

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Arenado's STATs away form Coors Field are not as good.

Home .347/.427/.660/1.088 - 20 HR

Away .248/.325/.440/.765 - 14 HR

Angel Stadium is far cry from Coors Field...

But, what if he’s a guy who loves to hit in his home stadium?

That said, his expected contract is likely 7 years/$210 million.   That is a lot to commit to someone from outside the org.

14 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Yeah, I’ve always been glad we kept Brandon Wood.

With prospects, there is no guarantee. I’d keep Adele and Canning. Done.

I wouldn't go quite to that extreme, and would keep a few more.   But concur that while Stoneman's "never trade them" method helps build continuity, it could also make it harder to get the brass ring.

I have no regrets keeping Brandon Wood instead of trading him.  He was, at the time, the most exciting I prospect I can recall following as an Angel fan.

I was perfectly willing to "hoard" him and accept whatever the risk there was of him being a bust.

I now feel the same way about Adell and will accept the outcome if he ends up a bust.

15 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Yeah, I’ve always been glad we kept Brandon Wood.

With prospects, there is no guarantee. I’d keep Adele and Canning. Done.

This is a perfectly reasonable outcome once the off-season is complete.

I'm just going to go on record and say that Manny Machado makes me nervous.  I don't think there's anyway he will be able to live up to whatever monster contract he signs. I think when he  begins to decline it will be severe and drastic.  I don't have any solid reasoning for this - it's just my gut feeling.  His offensive numbers don't overwhelm me.  He comes across (to me) as a bit selfish.  Obviously, I don't know him personally - but that's my take based on his public persona.

There have been so many big free agent signings that just don't pan out.  For every good signing like a J.D. Martinez, there are tons of Jacoby Ellsbury, Josh Hamilton types that also sign and then disappoint.  All the more reason the Angels need to lock up Mike Trout because as close to a "sure thing" as there is in baseball.

18 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I'm just going to go on record and say that Manny Machado makes me nervous.  I don't think there's anyway he will be able to live up to whatever monster contract he signs. I think when he  begins to decline it will be severe and drastic.  I don't have any solid reasoning for this - it's just my gut feeling.  His offensive numbers don't overwhelm me.  He comes across (to me) as a bit selfish.  Obviously, I don't know him personally - but that's my take based on his public persona.

There have been so many big free agent signings that just don't pan out.  For every good signing like a J.D. Martinez, there are tons of Jacoby Ellsbury, Josh Hamilton types that also sign and then disappoint.  All the more reason the Angels need to lock up Mike Trout because as close to a "sure thing" as there is in baseball.

It's much easier to put the faith in your own FAs-to-be.   The team understands their nuances/health a lot more than someone coming from another team.    If the big bucks are to be paid, it's best to use it to keep your own superstar instead of bringing one in.   

The Cardinals have prospered for many years, in following this mantra.   And the Cardinals actually take it a step farther due to a perpetually really strong farm system, in that only one superstar has been retained by them over the years upon FA, Matt Holliday.   They totally dodged a bullet, in not re-signing Pujols and his already declining health in his knees and feet.

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

There are no guarantees. True, we've messed up with some free agents, but we also rolled successfully with others. I don't think we should stop trying.

15 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I have no regrets keeping Brandon Wood instead of trading him.  He was, at the time, the most exciting I prospect I can recall following as an Angel fan.

I was perfectly willing to "hoard" him and accept whatever the risk there was of him being a bust.

I now feel the same way about Adell and will accept the outcome if he ends up a bust.

I do I remember seeing him and Aymara at spring training his rookie season. And I came away going Brandon Wood looked slow and unathletic. I had no idea who Aymara was at the time but was wowed by him playing. 

17 hours ago, Lou said:

guys like Machado and Harper don't make me nervous.

guys like Cozart and Kinsler do. 

Cozart, yes, because of the 3 year commitment.  Kinsler was a place holder and if everything went right someone valuable in a post season run.   Zero harm in acquiring a guy like him in my opinion.   I personally worry less about a guy like Harper than I do Machado, even though Machado appears to be better and could play a much more needed position.   I don’t know, I just see Harper asmore of an effort guy.   

• 2 weeks later...