• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Theoretical (not likely to happen) question... Machado/Arenado

floplag

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

OK.

That's a different argument and yet I still think you are wrong.

Arenado will be very expensive to acquire in terms of minor league talent.

You worry Machado might fade in a 10 year deal. (Let's be real, he is signing something with an opt out at 3 or 4 years but whatever.)

Why ignore the drop in production from trading away quality minor leaguers?

Having Machado and keeping your prospects seems to be less risk that getting Arenado for a year and then facing that dent in your pool of prospects.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t know how significant the prospect cost would be for Arenado because it’s just for one year. I don’t think it would wreck the system by any means. 

There’s certainly no slam dunk answer either way. 

I happen to think Arenado is a better player on the 2019 Angels anyway, even if you ignore all the costs and go on a picking-in-the-playground method. 

I don't think Arenado will cost as much as you think @Dtwncbad, primarily because his arbitration salary in 2019 will be about $20M. That alone will kill his surplus value enough where sending a prospect like Jahmai Jones plus a mid-level guy like Jose Soriano would be enough to acquire him. Maybe it's someone like Taylor Ward or Luis Rengifo plus one more prospect instead. The Rockies are not a super high payroll team and Nolan may be an expense they cannot afford in their window of contention. Might be an opportunity for the Angels.

51 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Machado wants to play SS, so not only do you need to match other teams offers. You need to convince him to play 3B again.

Repeating an earlier point. . .Machado is capable of playing short and he basically demanded to do so this year prior to his free agency.

It is very reasonable to assume he did this to maximize the number of teams that would bid on him. . .and bid against each other.

Now he has every team that wants a SS and every team that wants a 3B all bidding against each other.

It was very smart to do this.

I am just not convinced the final position for him is going to matter more than the money.

4 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Machado wants to play SS, so not only do you need to match other teams offers. You need to convince him to play 3B again.

Just thought I would put this here:

https://dodgerblue.com/mlb-free-agency-rumors-dodgers-manny-machado-willing-transition-third-base-for-right-team/2018/09/17/

Apparently Machado is willing to make the move back to 3B...according to sources...

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Around the same time as putting all of your eggs in one off season plan has worked out for us.  Which is basically what a lot of these posts are about.

I'm talking about what has actually occurred, not what guys on a message board propose. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

it always works for those who value prospects over wins :)  

This is silly because we will NEVER know what trades could have happened, we only know about the ones that happen.  Even the trade that would have brought us Miguel Cabrera how many different names have we seen in that rumor?  Aybar, Howie, Mathis, Santana, Wood, Adenhart and I am sure I am missing some.  We have a thread on here where someone calls out the Angels for not trading for Yellich, we have zero idea if we made a strong offer for him.  What I do know is we didn’t have the 13th ranked prospect in baseball which is what they got for him, plus 3 more guys. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I'm talking about what has actually occurred, not what guys on a message board propose. 

Which is exactly what my previous post was about.  But playing that out Lou, we have no idea if the Angels are just waiting a year for someone, that again is just message board chatter.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which is exactly what my previous post was about.  But playing that out Lou, we have no idea if the Angels are just waiting a year for someone, that again is just message board chatter.  

when did we head into an offseason with a plan that put all of our eggs in one basket?