• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Theoretical (not likely to happen) question... Machado/Arenado

floplag

Theoretically speaking this coming off season if both were an option would you rather :
A:  sign Machado
or
B:  Trade for Arenado
This of course comes with the understanding that we would lose prospects to make the trade of course and there is the risk of signing him long term, but he would also cost about half.
Thoughts?
Not going into other associated issues just in a nutshell, if we decided to go in this kind of direction, which way would you go?
As for me, i think id prefer Arenado. 

this is tough, made even more so because I don't think there's any chance that Machado makes twice as much as Arenado. of course, it would also depend on the prospects. 

if it were just comparing the players, I would choose Arenado. however, when weighing the addition of prospects and uncertainty of having Arenado for not more than 1 season, I would have to choose Machado. 

7 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That's a good question.

I'd actually take Machado in this scenario. We keep the prospects and get a long term solution/upgrade at 3rd.

That said, in reality I'd rather save the money AND prospects and re-up Trout this off-season then sign Arrenado in 2020.

Good point, we could always wait a year,  maybe that should have been a third option :)  
Im just not keen on wasting 2019 so it didnt cross my mind. 

If these were the only two options I would go with the Machado option.  That being said, I would rather the team go with Ward for next year, use the assets you have in the minors, not named Adell and trade for the very best starting pitcher you can acquire with the other guys as trade chips.  Then I would evaluate Ward next season, you would then have improved the starting rotation and I wouldn’t shy away from signing a starting rotation arm in free agency.  Then if Ward isn’t the answer, then the following off season you can try to sign Arrenado and you will already have a better rotation that before.  

Ward has not shown enough promise to potentially waste an entire year evaluating him.

Looks like maybe maybe he can be David Freese light.  That's not the kind of player I burn a year on when you can have a superstar dropped into that spot.

This is exactly what free agency is for.  Surgical additions that fit and instantly improve your team.

For the record I like Arenado more than Machado.  But considering you can get Machado now for CASH only and keep the prospects and have a solution starting in 2019 instead of a year later. . . No brainer.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Ward has not shown enough promise to potentially waste an entire year evaluating him.

Looks like maybe maybe he can be David Freese light.  That's not the kind of player I burn a year on when you can have a superstar dropped into that spot.

This is exactly what free agency is for.  Surgical additions that fit and instantly improve your team.

For the record I like Arenado more than Machado.  But considering you can get Machado now for CASH only and keep the prospects and have a solution starting in 2019 instead of a year later. . . No brainer.

100% agree

Machado.  He's the better player.  I like Arenado a lot, but what he'd cost in trade would set the farm back big time and you'd have to sign him long term to make it worth it which would cost about the same as Machado.  

But in the end, I don't think we sign a position player unless it's a catcher this off season.  Fletcher and Cozart will get the job.  Ward and Rengifo waiting in the wings.    Resources will go to pitching.  

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

It isn’t a wasted year if we upgrade elsewhere.