• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AL MVP

tdawg87

First off, I hope everyone on the Red Sox gets AIDS. 

I just wanted to point out that JD Martinez is currently T-1st in HR, 1st in RBI, and 2nd in AVG. Now, he's played the majority of his games at DH. But what if that turd burgling thunderc*nt wins the Triple Crown? 

Does he automatically get the MVP award? Does he steal votes away from Betts, allowing Trout to slide in and get it? Does everyone in Boston hate brown people?

I kind of hope he does get it just so it creates this conundrum. I also hope he has unprotected anal sex with Magic Johnson, but that's a story for another time.

On a serious note, I have said before that Trout's only real chance of winning MVP is if JD steals some votes from Betts. We could end up with a scenario like so (now that Ramirez seems out):

Trout 11

Betts 10

Martinez 6

Ramirez 2

Bregman 1

That said, I think Betts wins it. The only way I think it swings to Trout if JD both wins the Triple Crown and Trout goes nuts the last two weeks. Then we might see the above scenario.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I just wanted to point out that JD Martinez is currently T-1st in HR, 1st in RBI, and 2nd in AVG. Now, he's played the majority of his games at DH. But what if that turd burgling thunderc*nt wins the Triple Crown? 

Does he automatically get the MVP award? Does he steal votes away from Betts, allowing Trout to slide in and get it? Does everyone in Boston hate brown people?

I kind of hope he does get it just so it creates this conundrum. I also hope he has unprotected anal sex with Magic Johnson, but that's a story for another time.

If recent history means anything then winning a triple crown is automatic MVP, no matter what.

Fun with numbers

Mike Trout ranks first in all of baseball despite missing a month due to injury in the following categories: Offensive WAR, OBP, OPS, Base on Balls, Adjusted OPS+, Adjusted Batting Runs, Adjusted Wins, Times on Base, Offensive Win %, Intentional Base on Balls, and WPA. 

The most impressive among these has to be times on base and intentional walks. He misses a month and Betts and Martinez still haven't reached base as many times as he has. He's that much better than the guys that will win MVP.  This says more about the Angels, but despite missing a month, they'll still choose not to pitch to him more often than anyone in baseball. 

Furthermore, Trout ranks second in REW, RE24, SB%, runs created and WAR. And a handful of those he'll be first in by the end of the year.

Put it like this, had he not missed a month, Trout's current pace would've put him at over 11 WAR with a couple weeks left to go in the season. Meaning he would've had an outside shot at a 12 win season. Had he actually hit above his norms during that missed month, Trout would've had a legitimate shot at eclipsing Babe Ruth's 1927 campaign. That's how much better he is than everyone else in the majors.

And to top it all off, Trout still ranks in the top 10 in batting average, slugging percentage, home runs, power speed, and at bats per HR.

Trout is 65th in RBIs and 12th in Runs 

This is no fault on him but this will be why he won’t win. Trout is the best all around player in the game ... no doubt.

When Trout won MVP in 2014 & 2016 he was the Runs leader and near the top in RBIs. He was 1st in Runs and 2nd in RBIs in 2014. 

16 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Trout is 65th in RBIs and 12th in Runs 

This is no fault on him but this will be why he won’t win. Trout is the best all around player in the game ... no doubt.

When Trout won MVP in 2014 & 2016 he was the Runs leader and near the top in RBIs. He was 1st in Runs and 2nd in RBIs in 2014. 

in before someone misses your point 

8 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Trouts the best player in baseball he just plays for a team that is hot garbage.  If he played for a team that wasn't 20 games out of first it would be a different story. That being said he wont sniff MVP this season. One of the Boston guys will win and should.

Agreed

You could make a case for Alex Bergman for MVP who dominates all Astros stats . I’m not sure the Astros would be the division leader this season without him. 

bregman is getting more attention, and deservedly so. he's had a terrific year and has helped keep the astros in first while they missed time from altuve and correia.

i think jd martinez will win.

trout is clearly the best player in the league, but he has not been the most valuable player this season, not by a long shot.

there is no formula for MVP voting.  The criteria changes every year.  

I'm not normally inclined to believe in lineup protection.  But I have a hard time believing that the presence of JD Martinez behind Mookie Betts doesn't make Betts a better hitter.  

There is no reason to pitch to Trout.  Which is part of the reason he leads the league in walks.  He probably still would with a better hitter behind him, but I do think it would make him better.  

I am not sure why people think guys from the same team split votes though.  Why would someone who thinks that a triple crown winner should get votes be more likely to switch from Betts vs. Trout.  

That said, I think Betts wins going away this year.  

17 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Those stats also puts him into the Gold Glove conversation.

Bregman, JD martinez and Betts.

My vote would probably go to Altuve simply because stats and perhaps injuries aside, to me the MVP is the guy who makes the team go/ tick.

Houston leads AL West pretty much wire to wire.

Altuve goes down,  Houston dips, Oakland makes a run and suddenly it's a race for the division title.

If the MVP is for the guy who makes his team better and makes his team win when he's in the line up (sort of a WAR analysis I guess) Altuve I am sure ranks right up there.

But he's not going to win it.

Trout may get votes and could finish third because Boston guys split votes.