• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AL MVP

tdawg87

5 minutes ago, Barrett said:

I understand that concept. I disagree but understand it. If ESPN and baseball references have Betts ahead of Trout in WAR and Fangraphs have them tied. Wouldn't Betts be the better player on the better team this year? Do you not take into consideration how the team did in terms of winning at all? 

I do take into consideration that Betts has a higher WAR.

I do not take into consideration that the Red Sox are a better team.

Just now, mulwin444 said:

Trout was clearly the better player in 2012 and 2013 but finished 2nd both times...I don't think record should matter that much in terms of MVP, in my opinion.

I guess the question is then how much should record matter? If the Sox were the worst team in baseball and Trout was on a 120 win team but Betts had a 10 WAR and Trout had a 9 WAR would you choose Betts over Trout?

11 minutes ago, Barrett said:

Wow. That is interesting. So would you have given the World Series MVP to Bonds instead of Glaus? 

The WS MVP is kind of a dumb award because it’s based a super small sample. I don’t think people even remember who wins the WS MVP. It’s voted on basically by the sponsors. 

But, yes, I’d have voted for Bonds. 

I guess the question is then how much should record matter? If the Sox were the worst team in baseball and Trout was on a 120 win team but Betts had a 10 WAR and Trout had a 9 WAR would you choose Betts over Trout?

If Betts beat Trout by a full 1 WAR, yeah, he should get the vote...record I'd consider peripherally but not much more than, say, stats like RBI.

In 2015 Trout lost to Donaldson despite a 9.4 WAR to 8.5 WAR difference...He lost to Cabrera in 2013 despite 9.0 WAR vs 7.3 WAR and in 2012 to Cabrera despite a 10.5 WAR vs 7.1 WAR.

But, I don't have a vote so my opinion in pretty meaningless.  

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The WS MVP is kind of a dumb award because it’s based a super small sample. I don’t think people even remember who wins the WS MVP. It’s voted on basically by the sponsors. 

But, yes, I’d have voted for Bonds. 

Well ya. It is the WS MVP the most the games could go would be 7 games. I don't know this answer so I guess I am asking. But I would imagine getting a WS MVP would help someone get into the Hall of Fame? I remember for Smoltz or Schilling when their names were brought up in the media about getting into the HoF, the first thing they would talk about was their post season records. But that might be me remembering it wrong, so who knows. 

Well ya. It is the WS MVP the most the games could go would be 7 games. I don't know this answer so I guess I am asking. But I would imagine getting a WS MVP would help someone get into the Hall of Fame? I remember for Smoltz or Schilling when their names were brought up in the media about getting into the HoF, the first thing they would talk about was their post season records. But that might be me remembering it wrong, so who knows. 

Jack Morris is one example I can think of where performance in the World Series - specifically the Game 7, 10 inning shut out against the Braves in 1991 - help his ascent to the Hall of Fame (via the Veterans Committee this year).  He worked out of a runner at 3rd, 1 out situation in the 5th and a 2nd and 3rd, no outs situation in 8th (ground to 1B, IBB, and double play) and pitched into the 10th to help secure the championship.  His career stats were good, not great, but some things transcend numbers.

41 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I didn't realize how true this is until I just tried to remember every one going back to '02. I got last year (which undoubtedly I would have forgotten by next season), '02 (which I will never forget for obvious reasons), Freese in '11... and that's it. I'd completely forgotten about the legendary performances from Sandoval and Bumgarner in '12 and '14. 

1 hour ago, SoPas Angel said:

I didn't realize how true this is until I just tried to remember every one going back to '02. I got last year (which undoubtedly I would have forgotten by next season), '02 (which I will never forget for obvious reasons), Freese in '11... and that's it. I'd completely forgotten about the legendary performances from Sandoval and Bumgarner in '12 and '14. 

You are a fan of baseball and forgot about Bumgarners crazy postseason? David Eckstein killed it as well. If we are talking about forgetful MVP honors, all of them really are forgetful. We as a society are all about what have you done for me today. With out google can people really name MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL MVP people and their correct years? 

Looks like Betts wins it.

I also like Lindor for sheer excitement. He's one of the best players to watch play these days. Reminds of Ken Griffey Jr's hey days as the smiling face of MLB- just a little kid playing ball out there and just being better than anyone else.

Trout will certainly get some votes. But won't win it.

And, I do think a player leading to a team success is important -- so Mookie Betts......better than 'em all in 2018.