• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rumor Central: Angels preferred destination for Mike Moustakas?

Deek

8 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Yes please. Love his defense + power. Great fit.

Seems like the board is split on this guy, but I'm in the pro-Moustakas camp, especially if we bump our OBP with signing Carlos Santana and say a trade for Cesar Hernandez.

Pretty sick lineup and a bunch of power. 

2B Hernandez

1B Santana

CF Trout

LF Upton

3B Moustakas

DH Pujols

RF Calhoun

SS Simmons

C  Maldonado

We've known for a couple years that Moustakas has wanted to be back in So-Cal. The fact that he's just now reaching free agency only creates this narrative.

Eppler has been extremely hesitant to sacrifice draft picks (and with good reason, have you seen his track record with the draft?) for free agents. It just isn't how you build a farm system.

In the mean time, he's traded pitching prospects that weren't his to begin with (Newcomb, Ellis, Alcantara, Long, Rodriguez) to acquire the talent he needs. Billy does this because of his confidence in finding quality pitching on the waiver wire, which he's proven adept at.

It isn't as if we won't pay the price.  Eppler basically paid this price for Upton, with Long and Rodriguez essentially being the equivalent of free agent compensation and the 5/106 Upton got from us.

It just has to be the right player.

If we sign Moustakas, we forfeit our second round pick, which in the last three years has been Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh and Griffin Canning. 

I think I'll take the prospect and the money and allocate it somewhere for a player with a better OBP than .310.

A left handed power hitting 3rd baseman in the prime of his career...all things the Angels need. You're telling me that hitting in front of or behind Trout and Upton that this guy wouldn't improve his OBP? Moustakas is kind of a no brainer especially if he's willing to take any form of a discount to be here. By that I mean not asking 20+ million. If we can get him for 15-18 a year I think you have to do this deal.

Again, keep in mind, this costs us a second round pick. Our recent 2bd round picks are Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marah and Griffin Canning.

One is a top 20 prospect if he's wearing pinstripes, the other is drawing comparisons to Larry Walker or Josh Hamilton and the last was considered a lock for a top 10 pick in the draft until an unfavorable medical report (mind you, he isn't injured at all, just that he could be someday). 

For me, it isn't about Moustakas, it's about the price. Shelling out 20 million a year and losing a prospect as valuable as one of these guys as a draft pick sucks.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

True, but it's not like he's hitting .199. If you can get a 3B who hits nearly 40 HR and plays a solid defense, you do it. Especially for a team lacking lefthanded power on the team. 

How reliable is that power number going forward?

If I offered you an over/under of 31 on hr for him in 2018 as an Angel what would you take?

25 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

That's fair, however prospects are never guaranteed. Also, Mike Trout doesn't stick around for the guy coming up in the system, he stays if were competing and doing what it takes to win.

True, but at the same time, 5 years and 100 million plus a second round pick for Moose. What if we instead used that 20 million a year (plus whatever Kole's contract is worth) plus one of those second round picks like Jones on Giancarlo's Stanton (also a local product). 

I ask the question, which is more likely to make Mike Trout want to stay, Moustakas or Stanton?

There are just better ways to spend that money and those prospects than Moustakas. He's still a good player, just not the best investment we can be making.

I think we also must consider how commonplace HR's have become in the last year. It's in baseballs best interest to generate HR's and if players can't with PED's, than they'll just juice the ball and pretend nothing has happened.

Moustakas' 38 HR's would've been a world changer in 2015. But now that we've begun the second homerun era, it isn't worth it to invest money in power when it can be had at a cheaper price.

Example, Moustakas at 3B and Valbuena/Cron at 1B will cost 10 million more than LoMo at 1B and Valbuena at 3B, and the second option gives us just as much power and defense with a better OBP.

Again, Moustakas is a good player, but not the best investment.

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

If the price falls to about 12-15 mil per year, i'd sign him, even if its cost us a pick. 

3 yrs, 44 mil? 

I don't think his market is going to collapse that far....But I would sign him if it falls into the 60-75 range....above that, I'm not sure...