• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins acquire Santiago

ettin

• 10 months later...
On August 1, 2016 at 4:11 PM, VariousCrap said:

I was talking with a guy who does a Twins podcast and he was thrilled with this deal from the Twins perspective.  He was very happy to see Nolasco go and he said the talk for the last year or two in Minnesota has been that Meyer projected to be a bullpen guy at best.

On August 1, 2016 at 4:15 PM, beatlesrule said:

Of course he was.  It's a huge win for the Twins.

On August 1, 2016 at 4:34 PM, DMVol said:

That's pretty much what it looks like to me....we'll see.....

On August 1, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Scotty@AW said:

Word from Minnesota roving scout says Meyer's days as a starter are done in their eyes.  He said, "I can't fathom anyone using him as a starter at this point."

i agree 

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

i agree 

Never said I agreed with him. That's just what Minnesota thought. Clearly, at this point, they were wrong. Meyer has been better in an Angels uniform than he was at any point in a Twins uni. I think he just needed to get healthy, the right coaching and a chance.

On August 2, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

I'm not saying the Angels are right. I'm just saying you and I don't know if they are right at the moment. 

We can have opinions now but we have to admit that our opinions are based on much less info than their decisions. 

You wouldn't presume to tell your doctor how to do surgery because you watch Grey's Anatomy, would you?

That's essentially what baseball fans do all the time. 

How did I miss this gem? 

On 8/1/2016 at 4:25 PM, ettin said:

I am fine with this trade. I may regret saying it but Meyer is the primary focus here. The Angels needed to bring in a higher quality position or pitching prospect and they have done that while maintaining pitching depth with Nolasco.

Barring a complete meltdown by Meyer I think this trade is a win for the Angels.

I'm happy where I landed lol.

3 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

I'm very happy the info we got early about Meyer turned out wrong.  The more I see him pitch, the more I like his stuff. 

That's the point, however. What info did we get, other than he hadn't pitched in over a month? Fletcher pointed out that the team had seen the MRI and were good with what they had seen. 

It's probably a good idea to take into account what the people who actually examine a player have to say before declaring the guy a waste. ( not directed at you) 

oh, and @eaterfan probably wishes he could say the same. He had some real good ones 

Edited by Lou

On 8/1/2016 at 1:27 PM, SigBaby said:

Just looking at the statistics though I think if Meyer is healthy he can perform at Santiago's level they're actually similar pitchers in regards to control issues but good stuff. 

My opinion of this trade is we basically got a guy who is as much of a toss up as Santiago is going forward, but cheaper and controllable for longer. On top of that we got a 5 starter for next year so we won't have to discuss re-signing Weaver anymore

Killin it.

Here's some highlights from just the first 4.5 pages of this thread. Enjoy.

On August 1, 2016 at 0:59 PM, CanadianHalo said:

LOL 

I knew Eppler was in over his head but this is f'n embarrassing 

On August 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM, nate said:

Hahahaha what an absolute garbage pail this team is.  Angels even included a pitching prospect in the deal.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:05 PM, The_Outrunner said:

This trade is awful! Our front office is like a choose your own adventure.... They choose the page where you die 

On August 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Stradling said:

If this is the entire trade then fuck off Eppler.  

On August 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM, fan_since79 said:

Who?! and Who?!

You've got to be kidding. Sick joke.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:21 PM, eaterfan said:

I think you are misclassifying all pitchers involved here. We traded one mediocre pitcher for 2 bad ones.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:26 PM, tdawg87 said:

This organization is and idoit.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM, beatlesrule said:

F everything.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM, eaterfan said:

I think this is the second worst trade of the 2000 behind only the Wells trade. I'm not even under the impression that Santiago was good. He's probably a 4-5 starter on a decent team but at least he has a little upside and is semi cheap. We just took on an expensive 5 starter with only downside and a minor leaguer who is most likely a bust. I have no problem with the Angels taking a flier on some guys but then don't trade for a guy in his mid 30s.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:41 PM, UndertheHalo said:

Jesus Christ.  How awful. 

On August 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM, beatlesrule said:

This trade(and lack of others) is just further proof that this ORG is inept and will never win a world series with the current people in charge.  Absolutely ruined my day.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM, hangin n wangin said:

What in the fucking hell is this?

On August 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM, bloodbrother said:

There's a reason this team and farm is in the shape it's currently in. Takes years of poor FO work. Sadly, nothing they are doing has shown that they still aren't one of the more poorly run teams currently in MLB

On August 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Eff-ler sucks!

I was hoping to get a LF out of one of these deals. Meh..

On August 1, 2016 at 2:00 PM, beatlesrule said:

Scioscia and Arte signed off on this.  All 3 suck.

On August 1, 2016 at 2:03 PM, tdawg87 said:

This is the type of trade Corky would make in MLB: The Show because he doesn't really understand what's going on but god bless his little heart

Edited by Lou

On 8/4/2016 at 10:44 AM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Eppler traded Hector for Alex Meyer, they made him take Nolasco as part of the deal or they would not do the trade. Meyer was a top prospect as little as 2 years ago. He has had shoulder issues and he is a little wild but his upside is a top of the rotation type starter. Eppler called it a gamble with a high reward for a 1 1/2 of Santiago.

I always thought this trade was a gamble, but the reward out weighed the risk in my opinion.
Hector this year is no bargain either.
Ricky Nolasco ERA 5.05
Hector Santiago 5.26

Santiago and Hector were an even trade, Meyer tips the scales in our favor. The twins also got a RP Alan Busenitz in the deal, he is pitching well in AAA.