• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins acquire Santiago

ettin

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I always thought this trade was a gamble, but the reward out weighed the risk in my opinion.
Hector this year is no bargain either.
Ricky Nolasco ERA 5.05
Hector Santiago 5.26

Santiago and Hector were an even trade, Meyer tips the scales in our favor. The twins also got a RP Alan Busenitz in the deal, he is pitching well in AAA.

Yeah, your original quote pretty much nailed it 

20 minutes ago, Lou said:

Read the thread again. There's a whole lotta wrong there. 

Aren't we just a tad overly impressed with ourself?  Nobody has said otherwise....I am wrong frquently....try admitting it some time, it tends to make you a little more humble....I'm sure this will go over well but until we see if Meyer has really figured things out (cross fingers), it's still a little early to grade the trade....both Santiago and Nolasco are struggling, wash there....

14 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Aren't we just a tad overly impressed with ourself?  Nobody has said otherwise....I am wrong frquently....try admitting it some time, it tends to make you a little more humble....I'm sure this will go over well but until we see if Meyer has really figured things out (cross fingers), it's still a little early to grade the trade....both Santiago and Nolasco are struggling, wash there....

Lol lighten up, amigo. 

Overly impressed with myself? I haven't said one word about myself. And I call myself dumbass all the time when I'm wrong. My point wasn't that people were wrong about Meyer because he's definitely going to be successful, but at the reaction of how stupid this entire organization is for even making the trade. 

But i'll go ahead and put you on the list of " takes shit too seriously " so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities in the future. 

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

Lol lighten up, amigo. 

Overly impressed with myself? I haven't said one word about myself. And I call myself dumbass all the time when I'm wrong. My point wasn't that people were wrong about Meyer because he's definitely going to be successful, but at the reaction of how stupid this entire organization is for even making the trade. 

But i'll go ahead and put you on the list of " takes shit too seriously " so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities in the future. 

Meh...it's baseball Lou...nobody's panties are in a wad...funny, I don't recall you re-posting old threads where you were wrong...but I may have missed it....Yeah, I thought it was a bad trade....I also thought Simmons was a bad trade (still haven't seen Newcomb in the bigs though)....I liked the Espinosa trade, the Revere signing....should I go on?  I'm wrong a lot....

16 minutes ago, DMVol said:

funny, I don't recall you re-posting old threads where you were wrong.

That's probably because I don't go apeshit every time the team makes a trade or signs a free agent. As @Jeff Fletcher has stated on many occasions ( including this one), we have no idea what information the team has on certain players.  So when 97% of the posters scream out that the FO sucks and is inept, garbage, embarrassing, etc (and remember, that was only the first 4.5 pages) , I have to laugh. 

You would think after the Street and Simmons trades, people would have learned.

Thankfully, they don't ever learn and because of that, AW is the gift that keeps on giving. 

42 minutes ago, Lou said:

Lol lighten up, amigo. 

Eppler has made three trades now that have been completely panned by most of AW.com.   Simmons, Escobar, and Santiago...   And one that was mostly liked...  Espinosa.

So that being said...

I hope the majority of AW.com hates our draft pick on Monday

30 minutes ago, Lou said:

That's probably because I don't go apeshit every time the team makes a trade or signs a free agent. As @Jeff Fletcher has stated on many occasions ( including this one), we have no idea what information the team has on certain players.  So when 97% of the posters scream out that the FO sucks and is inept, garbage, embarrassing, etc (and remember, that was only the first 4.5 pages) , I have to laugh. 

You would think after the Street and Simmons trades, people would have learned.

Thankfully, they don't ever learn and because of that, AW is the gift that keeps on giving. 

For the record, I liked the Street trade....but I'm still a dumbass most of the time....I do enjoy having an opinion, even if I am a dumbass and wouldn't hire me as a GM....That's the fun of being a fan....I don't see being the Sanctimonious Board "Gotcha" guy as terribly interesting...but that's just me...Carry on...

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

For the record, I liked the Street trade....but I'm still a dumbass most of the time....I do enjoy having an opinion, even if I am a dumbass and wouldn't hire me as a GM....That's the fun of being a fan....I don't see being the Sanctimonious Board "Gotcha" guy as terribly interesting...but that's just me...Carry on...

i do

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Definitely. I meant to go back and add your post at the end but there was a Blossom marathon on and I lost track of time.

And, yes, it was very special. 

My father in law worked on Blossom when it was first taped. Years later I reformatted it for syndication.

Glad we could be part of your television enjoyment, @Lou .

This trade is and was always about the health of Alex Meyer. So far(knock on wood), Meyer has managed to stay healthy and post good results in the rotation this year, although he really needs to trim that walk rate to have consistent success. Even if he doesn't, I believe there is still value in him as a multi inning reliever whose under club control. I was definitely thrown off by this trade at the time, just due to the fact that they took Nolasco back in any deal, but the trade actually almost makes too much sense looking back on it.

If the Angels didn't have Nolasco, they would've spent similar money via free agency on a #5 starter last offseason. The real question came down to whether Meyer was worth it or not and that still remains to be seen. Santiago was never bringing back some big time piece but I did think at the time he'd bring back a tad more. 

This was mentioned last month in Jeff Fletcher's piece but the Angels allegedly turned down a straight up swap between Hector Santiago and Ariel Miranda, who currently has a 3.74 ERA and 0.9 WAR in his age 28 season. The real question may up coming down to comparing Miranda and Meyer going forward. Miranda has the safer floor as a potential #5 starter but Meyer obviously has high octane stuff that can make him an inconsistent 3/4 starter or power arm in the pen. This will be a good topic to explore again in 2-3 years.