• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins acquire Santiago

ettin

Ok so because you said so I guess it's true.  Forget that at the deadline you want impact players, and nothing is more impactful than a great starter (which we don't have) and a great closer.  Now in the off season all of those guys have more value I would think.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

None of them have the value at the deadline as Miller and Chapman.  

Disagree strongly. Whether you were going to win 50 or 120, would you prefer two months of Chapman or 3.5 years of Calhoun? Hell, there is an argument to be made that Shoemaker would be more valuable for the rest of this year than Chapman ... And he has years of club control beyond that.

27 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Did you see the haul that Cashman got back for 2 RP and a 39 year old DH?  Marte, Petit and Robinson would take his place. Not as good but serviceable enough for this year with the prospects helping the farm.  The offseason has some decent OF.

So you would trade Calhoun for a couple of prospects? Then what, HOPE 1 turns into a solid major leaguer? Calhoun is under club control until 2020. Trading him for a couple of prospects would be insane. 

Who are the decent OFs available this offseason? (I honestly don't know)

Edited by Lou

Marte hit a 3 run homer.

Left Fielders

Gregor Blanco (33)
Yoenis Cespedes (31) — can opt out of remaining two years, $47.5MM on current contract
Chris Coghlan (32)
Coco Crisp (37) — $13MM vesting/club option with a $750K buyout
Rajai Davis (35)
Alejandro De Aza (33)
Ian Desmond (31)
Craig Gentry (33)
Matt Holliday (37) — $17MM club/vesting option with $1MM buyout
Brandon Moss (33)
Daniel Nava (34)
Angel Pagan (35)
Ryan Raburn (36)
Colby Rasmus (30)
Michael Saunders (30)
Eric Thames (30)

Center Fielders

Michael Bourn (34)
Yoenis Cespedes (31) — can opt out of remaining two years, $47.5MM on current contract
Coco Crisp (37) — $13MM vesting/club option with a $750K buyout
Rajai Davis (35)
Ian Desmond (31)
Dexter Fowler (31) — $9MM mutual option with a $5MM buyout
Carlos Gomez (31)
Austin Jackson (30)
Jon Jay (32)
Cameron Maybin (30) — $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Drew Stubbs (32)

Right Fielders

Gregor Blanco (33)
Peter Bourjos (30)
Marlon Byrd (39)
Jose Bautista (36)
Carlos Beltran (39)
Jay Bruce (30) — $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Franklin Gutierrez (34)
Matt Joyce (32)
Daniel Nava (34)
Josh Reddick (30)
Seth Smith (34) — $7MM club option with a $250K buyout
Ichiro Suzuki (43) – $2MM club option
Mark Trumbo (31)

Definitely some good to decent players available.

6 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I already went over why they are actually more valuable but it doesn't really matter because they didn't get traded and the Angels weren't trying to get what Cashman got.

By the way, look at the prospects that Cashman traded to get Chapman and then look at the prospects he got in return for Chapman.

The thing is, you have absolutely no idea what Eppler was trying to get. When you make statements like that, it only makes people take your other comments less seriously. 

7 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Disagree strongly. Whether you were going to win 50 or 120, would you prefer two months of Chapman or 3.5 years of Calhoun? Hell, there is an argument to be made that Shoemaker would be more valuable for the rest of this year than Chapman ... And he has years of club control beyond that.

If I was in line to win our first World Series in over a century, I would take Chapman every single time. 

11 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I already went over why they are actually more valuable but it doesn't really matter because they didn't get traded and the Angels weren't trying to get what Cashman got.

By the way, look at the prospects that Cashman traded to get Chapman and then look at the prospects he got in return for Chapman.

this actually supports trading for a guy like Meyer when his value is low.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which contenders needed a short stop or a right fielder?  Indians could use a right fielder.  Who else?  Would you have been happy getting what the A's got for Reddick?  

The Redick deal isn't really a comparison because Calhoun is under control for much longer and I imagine Hill made up more than 50 per cent of the value the Dodgers got in that trade. Who would have wanted Calhoun? I'm struggling to think of a contender which wasn't a fit. The Mets, maybe. But heaps of teams have an outfield weakness and Calhoun would have been, I think, the most valuable offensive player on the market. He isn't as good as Lucroy obviously but club control is a really big deal. This isn't me saying we should have moved Calhoun, there are arguments either way there, but my point is that we had options to bring in significant minor league talent and chose not to.

35 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

The Yankees were smart enough to realize their chances of short-term success were low enough that they should make a significant sacrifice now to be much better in the long run - and they did an incredible job of that. We, on the other hand, did not.

Let's be honest here ... they traded Chapman and Beltran who were gone at season end.

Then got a offer on Miller that blew them away. 

Really not the same ... is it?

Just jumping in to say that all those players you listed that the team could have sold....they can still sell them in the offseason. These guys aren't going anywhere because they are under contract so what does it matter if they move them now or 4 months from now? In fact, you can make the argument that they will have more value in the offseason because you're likely looking at more suitors, not just playoff contenders like during the trade deadline

10 minutes ago, Lou said:

And there is no way Shoemaker is more valuable than Chapman for the rest of this year. 

The crew at Baseball Prospectus disagrees with you (it starts about 27 minutes in with that specific bit at 33.45, if you want to have a listen).

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=29951

Edit: That link is a really interesting thing to listen to if anyone cares. They evaluate the trade value of every non-Trout Angel. Some results surprised me, both in suggesting I overvalue some guys and undervalue others.

Teams tend to over pay at the deadline though Blood Brother.  I listed outfielders we could sign to replace Kole in the offseason. Combine that with the prospects we'd be getting to help out the farm and it's a win-win.  None of this really matters because our owner has a different philosophy.

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Let's be honest here ... they traded Chapman and Beltran who were gone at season end.

Then got a offer on Miller that blew them away. 

Really not the same ... is it?

dude.  they got a haul for Chapaman and a solid return for Beltran regardless.  

3 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

The crew at Baseball Prospectus disagrees with you (it starts about 27 minutes in with that specific bit at 33.45, if you want to have a listen).

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=29951

Edit: That link is a really interesting thing to listen to if anyone cares. They evaluate the trade value of every non-Trout Angel. Some results surprised me, both in suggesting I overvalue some guys and undervalue others.

Thanks for this. I'll check it out after the game.   I suspect though that many here will just dismiss them and say they don't know what they're talking about.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Thanks for this. I'll check it out after the game.   I suspect though that many here will just dismiss them and say they don't know what they're talking about.

Haha exactly. Some of them I think they were a fair way off on, like Tyler Skaggs. But they poop out more baseball knowledge everyday than any of us will ever posses, so I'm probably the one who is wrong.

14 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

It's very easy to just type that Chapman and Miller are more valuable because the players like Calhoun and Shoemaker weren't traded.  If it was the other way around, you'd be saying that Calhoun and Shoemaker were more valuable.

1. Who said that?

2. No, I wouldn't be saying that.

Before I listen to it, I will just say that I am open to having a change of opinion if I've been wrong about any of the things I've been posting last couple of days. Like if they totally contradict what I've been typing and explain the reason, I'll admit I was wrong.  After really hoping and thinking that this team was going to do what I thought was right and they didn't, I've been pretty pissed so hopefully, they can calm my fears.

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

dude.  they got a haul for Chapaman and a solid return for Beltran regardless.  

Chapman is elite and a complete difference maker. Beltran is kicking ass and is a major upgrade for texas at the DH spot.

They went to arguably the world series favorites who want to win now. Contenders pay up for pkayers like them. Santiago, Shoemaker... are not players like that.