• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

The Royals have been told by Alex Gordon’s camp that they have “no chance” to re-sign their franchise cornerstone as things currently stand, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Gordon’s camp is seeking a contract that will pay him upwards of $20MM per season, and Heyman hears that Kansas City has only offered four years, noting that Jim Bowden reported at ESPN that the annual value of said offer is believed to be in the $12-13MM range.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/royals-unlikely-resign-alex-gordon.html

Sooo....are there any suitors left for the remaining outfielders? Something tells me Gordon isn't going to get an offer of 20 million per from anybody.

Does anyone know how many corner outfielders have have had positive defensive value from age 32-36 in the history of baseball?

About 20 players. Most of which it's only even marginally positive.

Defensive metrics aren't always great, but that a pretty good sample.

So let's say his defense becomes slightly above average. Anaheim will suck away whatever power he has as will the fact that he's past his prime. He strikes out a fair amount as well. So he will be a .250-.260 guy with solid defense. 10-15hrs and a .340 obp.

I would hope paying almost 20mil per for 5 yrs would get you more than that.

I don't see how he would fall off so drastically. He's the best defensive left fielder in the game right now. He's likely to decline, sure, but I don't see him becoming "slightly above average" until at least the last couple years of his contract.

I suppose I agree that he isn't worth 20 million, but we gave Torii Hunter 5/90 and he was the same age. I don't think anyone here would argue that was a bad contract. So honestly, what's an extra 2 million per year, especially with the market the way it has become?

Even if Gordon's defense declines, I still see him as being an above average defender for the entirety of his contract. Plus, he'll essentially put up the same offensive production Torii did, minus a few homeruns.

Edited by tdawg87