• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

Hector has more value today but less years of control than Dickerson. Corey meets our specific needs and has tons of upside but also has a few concerns of his own. His home/road splits aren't so concerning too me. Instead of being a .300/.370/.550 type in Coor's, he could be a .280/.350/.500 type of player and more for us in Anaheim. Santiago although not an ace, would immediately become a front end type arm for THEM with a 2 or 3's type of track record. He could be slightly more homer prone but he also gives them cheap innings, that they then could later flip for prospects. Bedrosian fills the hole they created from moving Logan and saves them from his salary. Neal Cotts is a FA, so in terms of signing a left handed FA reliever, it's either him or Bastardo. The Milwaukee sign and trade is more complicated then I let on but something similar could be constructed with one of the protected pick teams. Neither one of their starting rotation's can get consistent outs though and that puts an unnecessary strain on the rest of their staffs. They're both in different stages of rebuilding so they want young ready position players or MLB proven/cost controlled pitching. I don't get the impression we'll be trading away any more of our young controlled pitching right now because were gonna need it. These aren't blockbuster trades but smaller, possibly even three team type of deals. Any deal involving Wilson will require us too eat 5-10MM, anything that requires us too eat more and we'll just keep him. I should have been more specific. PS, the least of our concerns right now should be the 4th and 5th slots in the rotation.

Edited by DailyHalo

Crazy that we're this far into the offseason and all of these players are still available in free agency alone. Yeah, some of these guys have really tailed off or have some major deficiencies, but with this amount of significant players remaining this deep into the offseason, there's several opportunities ahead still for teams like the Angels to improve or take a shot on a couple bargains.

Hitters:

Cespedes, Upton, Davis, Kendrick, Desmond, Parra, Fowler, Freese, Alexei Ramirez, Alvarez, Pearce, Justin Morneau, David Murphy, Dominic Brown, Marlon Byrd, Juan Uribe, Johnny Gomes, Austin Jackson, Alex Rios, Rollins, Willin Rosario, Grady Sizemore, Casey McGehee, Dan Uggla, Will Venable, Stubbs.

Pitchers:

Chen, Gallardo, Bastardo, Fister, Clippard, Ian Kennedy, Colby Lewis, Cotts, Rafael Soriano, Oh (Final Boss/Stone Buddha), Tommy Hunter, Greg Holland, Jeremy Guthrie, Casey Janssen, Cliff Lee, Mat Latos, Lincecum, Masterson, Alfredo Simon, Carlos Villanueva

Pretty much all these guys have had at least one decent over the last year or two. And this isn't even touching the trade market, or players that will become available on trade market after these sign.

This is the projected FA outfield crop for next year. Mostly guys in their mid-30s, and I don't see a difference maker in the bunch.

There aren't any bonafide stars really, but since the Angels didn't go after one of those this year, I doubt a star OF will be their focus next year as well. Knowing that, there's a lot of options in next year's class for LF I would be happy with pursuing.

Gomez or Reddick would be great. Upton could show up if he takes a 1-yr this year.

Coghlan, Rasmus, Gutierrez, Jay, Maybin (if he proves it wasn't a fluke) would all be solid options, none requiring big money or years.

If the platoon route works this year, we could look at something similar next year with players like Saunders, Seth Smith, De Aza, Bourjos, Moss, or Gentry/Nava.

Or Angels could hope for a Bobby Abreu/Hideki Matsui gamble (and not a Steve Finley) and try Bruce, Bautista, Pagan, Swisher, Bourn, Crisp, even Holliday who may be let go with STL's young OF depth.

Of all those names, I think most here would take them over what we're set to start '16 with.

Edited by totdprods

I think some of the problem started when the Orioles offered Davis $150M, which was a sheer overpay.  Now Upton and Cespedes think they are entitled to at least that much.

I would consider re-signing David Murphy for something like $4-$5M at this point.

Edited by tomsred

I think some of the problem started when the Orioles offered Davis $150M, which was a sheer overpay. Now Upton and Cespedes think they are entitled to at least that much.

I would consider re-signing David Murphy for something like $4-$5M at this point.

If we don't sign Parra, I almost expect us to move on Murphy.

If that's what Cespedes wants and won't budge, and the same for Upton, I would move on for sure.

Re-signing David Murphy wouldn't be all that bad, as he and Nava could still platoon as Nava is a switch-hitter.     Defense would be a bit of a question.

Gentry strikes me as an ideal 4th-5th OFer/pinch runner type.    He's not the same player who put up a .759 OPS in 2012-2013 for the Rangers in some 480 at bats.

Gentry's OPS since 2014 is under .600. 

Nava could help with doing some DHing, when Cron is struggling and if Choi doesn't work out.

Angels have too many options out there for LF ... 5yr/100M?

Might be the reason why no one seems to be pursuing him.

Yoenis Cespedes wants $150 million and no one wants to give it to him

Seems like somebody always bites and overpays but I'm starting to wonder if maybe Cespedes and Upton get something more like 4 and 80....we'll see.....

Edited by DMVol

As resurgent as CarGo's offense was in 2015, I still would worry about his adjusting to mainly facing AL pitching.

At least he isn't over 30, and wouldn't be commanding a ton of salary beyond 2017.

Logan had decent stats for the Skanks as their LOOGY from 2010-2013, but kind of fell off a cliff for Colorado (mainly Coors effect?).

The Halos would add some $10-12 million net payroll for 2016 from that deal. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Seems like somebody always bites and overpays but I'm starting to wonder if maybe Cespedes and Upton get something more like 4 and 80....we'll see.....

I'm almost thinking one of those two will sign a one year deal and come back to the market when it is truely lacking in any kind of substance. 

Just all hypothetical.  But if Cespedes hits like he did last year.  Then the 6/$150+ might very well be attainable.  Plus, look at it this way.  Won't cost a draft pick, and you offer him arb and get a pick next year.  I can really see someone offering him a 1/$30. 

Upton is also young enough to do the one year thing.  He is more of a steady record, but some may be hesitant since it has been only in the NL.  If he signs with an AL, and proves he can hit it in a season.  Then the skys the limit in a bad 2016-17 FA class. 

But I think Upton has the most to lose in a 1 year deal.  If he signs with an AL team, and can't hit the AL, then his value will plummet.  Cespedes has the power going for him.  He has the north of 500 slg, he is an RBI and Run scorer.  I know some discount it as a stat.  But for me, those are some of the most important stats for a cleanup hitter.   If you don't have someone that can score, then it won't matter how many people you put on base. 

So if Upton does sign a 1 year deal, my bets will be it's with a NL club. 

Once again, rebuilding teams are not going to want anything to do with CJ Wilson.

If we ate most of the contract, I could see a rebuilding team taking a flyer on CJ for the purpose of hoping he pitches like a #2 or good #3 and they can offer up a QO in hopes of getting a draft pick.

Supremely unlikely, and I'd rather keep CJ than eat most of the contract, but that could be a scenario for a rebuilding team.

I don't agree with you at all. Your not making a trade with the other 29 teams, you have too find one suitor. Your either going too trade him to a rebuilding club that will part with players they don't need for their vision or you trade him to a contender where they throw him into their 4 or 5 spot in the rotation and they give you essentially nothing for him. There's probably actually a good chance he gets traded to a none contending team.

I don't agree with you at all. Your not making a trade with the other 29 teams, you have too find one suitor. Your either going too trade him to a rebuilding club that will part with players they don't need for their vision or you trade him to a contender where they throw him into their 4 or 5 spot in the rotation and they give you essentially nothing for him. There's probably actually a good chance he gets traded to a none contending team.

Remember that he has a clause that allows him to block a trade to 8 teams.  Not sure who those teams are, but they are probably the non contending teams like the Marlins, Phillies, etc. 

Another thing in regards to CJ that people have to take into account.  His value goes down as soon as the season starts.  As shown this offseason, those draft picks are very valuable now.  And having a sandwich pick probably doesn't have a value like losing a first rounder (I think $10 million is the value they put on the first rounder).  So you would think the sandwich would be worth at least $5 million?  So with $20 million owed for 2016.  Probably the absolute maximum the Angels will want to contribute if they traded him is $15 million.  But probably less than that. 

or you trade him to a contender where they throw him into their 4 or 5 spot in the rotation and they give you essentially nothing for him.

Yeah, that's basically the only way he gets traded.

Explain what a team like Colorado would want with CJ Wilson?

Teams like the Pirates or Padres have a track record of being good places for a pitcher to rebound. Orioles, Royals, and Yankees could use rotation help.

Even a team like the Reds, Braves, Nationals, or Phillies may have interest in swapping bad contracts (Bruce, Markakis, Werth, Howard come to mind) and could use a solid arm in their rotation, especially one who could turn into someone they flip at deadline for prospects to a contender or offer a QO if he has a real strong season.

There's some potential out there - but there's just way, way too many avail FA pitchers out there for any team to give up much right now, and conversely, way too many FA hitters avail for the Angels to pick up and simply keep CJ.