• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

How do you figure

The Jays traded a quality OF to the Nats for a relief pitcher who isn't very good anymore. Meanwhile, the Angels,–who desperately need an OF–traded a good relief pitcher (Gott) for a shitty 34 yr. old 2nd baseman. 

Why isn't Billy Eppler getting in on these deals? It's definitely not Arte's fault. 

Gott, along with another decent piece, could have easily landed Ben Revere. 

Stores is better than Gott. Escobar had a better year than Revere. 3rd base is a harder hole to fill in the major leagues than LF.

I agree, but the Jays desperately needed BP help, Gott and another player would have gotten Revere. I guess I'm just questioning Eppler's ability to pull off a big trade à la Dipoto. There's just so much cognitive dissonance going on in the Angels' FO.

Bottom line:

The Jays needed a BP arm, and the Angels need a LF. It's too bad Eppler decided to get an aging 2nd baseman instead of a young OF. 

Edited by failos

I agree, but the Jays desperately needed BP help, Gott and another player would have gotten Revere. I guess I'm just questioning Eppler's ability to pull off a big trade à la Dipoto. There's just so much cognitive dissonance going on in the Angels' FO.

Bottom line:

The Jays needed a BP arm, and the Angels need a LF. It's too bad Eppler decided to get an aging 2nd baseman instead of a young OF.

But what you are ignoring is last year Escobar was better than Revere. So we got a better player for Gott than The Nats got for Storen, who is better.

I don't really see how Ben Revere is better than Yunel Escobar.

Yunel can at least cover three positions. Ben offers more speed and better defense, while Yunel offers more offense and positional versatility, and as mentioned, 3B has fewer options across the majors.

But what you are ignoring is last year Escobar was better than Revere. So we got a better player for Gott than The Nats got for Storen, who is better.

I can't say I agree with your logic there.

Blackmon would be a dream come true for me. One of my favorite players outside of the Angels. Solid left handed bat with a little pop and he has lots of speed.

I heard something interesting the other day about how playing in Colorado hurts your road numbers. You play at home where a breaking ball doesn't break as much then go play on the road where it breaks more. By the time you adjust you're home again.

Anyway, getting Blackmon would be a huge get IMO

Report: Justin Upton may opt for a one-year contract

During an interview with St. Louis radio station 920-AM this morning Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports relayed a rumor that free agent outfielder Justin Upton may choose to sign a one-year contract and hit the open market again

His agent came out yesterday and said they weren't considering one year deals.

If this year and perhaps next year are the only two where the Angels are at risk of going over the tax, why would a one year contract benefit them at all?

I really do think Arte is preparing to sell the team.  This year's FA OFs are some of the best around.

If this year and perhaps next year are the only two where the Angels are at risk of going over the tax, why would a one year contract benefit them at all?

I really do think Arte is preparing to sell the team.  This year's FA OFs are some of the best around.

This is the projected FA outfield crop for next year. Mostly guys in their mid-30s, and I don't see a difference maker in the bunch.

Left Fielders

Gregor Blanco (33)

Chris Coghlan (32)

Rajai Davis (35)

Sam Fuld (35)

Franklin Gutierrez (34)

Matt Holliday (37) — $17MM club/vesting option with $1MM buyout

Kelly Johnson (35)

Daniel Nava (34)

Sean Rodriguez (32)

Colby Rasmus (30)

Michael Saunders (30)

Ichiro Suzuki (43) – $2MM club option

Center Fielders

Alejandro De Aza (33)

Gregor Blanco (33)

Peter Bourjos (30)

Michael Bourn (34) — $12MM vesting option

Coco Crisp (37) — $13MM vesting/club option with a $750K buyout

Rajai Davis (35)

Sam Fuld (35)

Craig Gentry (33)

Carlos Gomez (31)

Jon Jay (32)

Cameron Maybin (30) — $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Angel Pagan (35)

Colby Rasmus (30)

Right Fielders

Alejandro De Aza (33)

Jose Bautista (36)

Carlos Beltran (39)

Jay Bruce (30) — $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Brandon Moss (33)

Franklin Gutierrez (34)

Daniel Nava (34)

Colby Rasmus (30)

Josh Reddick (30)

Michael Saunders (30)

Seth Smith (34) — $7MM club option with a $250K buyout

Ichiro Suzuki (43) – $2MM club option

Nick Swisher (36) — $14MM vesting option

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

What about Corey Dickerson and Boone Logan for Hector Santiago and Cam Bedrosian?

Not a bad idea because of Dickerson's age. I like him more than I like Blackmon. That said, he has some serious health concerns (Plantar, for one) and his home/road splits are as extreme as I've ever seen. He's also pretty meh on defense. But still, that's not an unfair trade all things considered. Dickerson is under club control for 4 years and he is likely an improvement over anything the Angels currently have, even considering his ridiculous splits. I'd just be concerned if he could stay healthy.

Or if we go after someone like Neal Cotts, Maybe we can work out a sign and trade with Milwaukee. Something were get Fowler and Knebel/Blazek for Wilson and Bedrosian?

Not sure I understand what you're proposing here. You mention Neal Cotts and then say the Angels should sign Fowler and then trade Wilson and Bedrosian (Bedrosian is the new Maicer Izturis apparently) for Corey Knebel or Michael Blazek? Obviously if they signed Fowler, then freeing up payroll would be a big concern so trading Wilson makes sense. However, unless the Angels pay the vast majority of his contract for 2016, I don't see Milwaukee wanting anything to do with him. They're trying to rebuild so taking on an expensive pitcher while giving up a young, cost-controlled reliever doesn't make a lot of sense. Wilson for Cotts and a mid level prospect could work, but again the Angels would need to pay at minimum 15 million of Wilson's remaining salary and I don't think Arte or Eppler want to do that.

wilson only has value to a contending team.  he's probably worth more to the halos than in trade.  He actually more of a potential deadline deal guy if the Angels are out of it.  Oddly enough, Wilson probably brings some stability to the rotation. 

Without him, you are looking at filling the 4/5 with Weaver, Tropeano, Shoemaker or Skaggs.  That's a lot of question marks at this point.  

Benefits of Upton on a one year deal:

Season changing addition for 2016

He'd be playing for his next contract, alleviating any concerns about effort

Excellent chance of competitive balance pick or could be traded away for a nice package of talent at the deadline