• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto -- Red Sox

So if the players quit on Dipoto then isn't that a giant red flag that Dipoto was a big part of the problem? When was the last time you heard of a group of players quitting on a GM. These are guys he brought in for the most part. Look at our roster, how many predate Dipoto? Weaver and Aybar. Everyone here, myself included, believe Scioscia should adapt his style to the type of players he has. Well if Dipoto is rubbing his players the wrong way, shouldn't he adapt or change the way he's communicating? This isn't me taking Scioscia's side, because quite frankly I don't. But it certainly appears the players did. Dipoto quit while under contract, which I don't have any problem with, it's his prerogative. But he should not be allowed to hold a GM position until after next season when his contract runs out, imagine if a manager or a player did that.

So if the players quit on Dipoto then isn't that a giant red flag that Dipoto was a big part of the problem? When was the last time you heard of a group of players quitting on a GM. These are guys he brought in for the most part. Look at our roster, how many predate Dipoto? Weaver and Aybar. Everyone here, myself included, believe Scioscia should adapt his style to the type of players he has. Well if Dipoto is rubbing his players the wrong way, shouldn't he adapt or change the way he's communicating? This isn't me taking Scioscia's side, because quite frankly I don't. But it certainly appears the players did. Dipoto quit while under contract, which I don't have any problem with, it's his prerogative. But he should not be allowed to hold a GM position until after next season when his contract runs out, imagine if a manager or a player did that.

Player quits on his team and starts to mail it in and he's a pariah regardless of his reasoning.  The GM quits in the middle of the season and he gets instant martyr status -- never seen anything like that before.

Ultimately I believe people are taking sides because they either like/hate Jerry or like/hate MS, etc etc..    Personally I don't give a crap anymore, I just want them to give the job to someone capable of fixing the many things wrong with this club.

Only thing I'm sure of is that if the next guy that is brought in or given the GM job isn't allowed to bring in his own people or get everyone on the same page then this drama will continue..   

Major league players don't actively "quit" - they would forfeit millions.

They just mail it in, or don't give a crap about succeeding - Just on the Angels, Appier, Kazmir, Hamilton off the top of my head.

So, when they mail it in....  they basically quit....     I don't really get caught up in the money end of it, baseball and it's guaranteed contracts creates its own issues IMO.    It's probably a misplaced belief on my part.... I understand baseball and sports in general is a business but I have issues with anyone who quits on a team.

I don't dislike JD because he bailed, at the end of the day it's his life...  but I don't particularly care for his decision to bolt on everyone either.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Hard to think of Blanton not doing anything but quitting on the Angels.

Some think Kazmir did too.   I've never known what to believe with him, at the very least he put in the wrench time to try to get better...    I thought Gary Gaetti basically checked out shortly after getting to Anaheim.   I know a lot of people believe Hamilton did too...   Even Dipoto was quoted as saying it started day one and just never worked.  

On a personal note, I try not to fall into the whole reading body language BS...  Too easy to look for the things we are wanting to see IMO.

I don't dislike JD because he bailed, at the end of the day it's his life...  but I don't particularly care for his decision to bolt on everyone either.

Its pretty clear from the locker room meetings that both the coaching staff and players told him in no uncertain terms to GTFO with his crazy newfangled ideas.  We know he didn't have ownership support.  I am not sure what he was bolting on.  Why stay somewhere where your contributions are not welcome at best, or ridiculed? 

Did you want him to stay in a closed room for 8 hours a day, collect a paycheck, and throw pencils at the ceiling, like Costanza working on the Penske file?

Its pretty clear from the locker room meetings that both the coaching staff and players told him in no uncertain terms to GTFO with his crazy newfangled ideas.  We know he didn't have ownership support.  I am not sure what he was bolting on.  Why stay somewhere where your contributions are not welcome at best, or ridiculed? 

Did you want him to stay in a closed room for 8 hours a day, collect a paycheck, and throw pencils at the ceiling, like Costanza working on the Penske file?

If you believe this team's roster as it was on the day he resigned was complete then fine, he had nothing left to do...   I don't share that opinion.   Everyone gave him a free pass for taking over someone else's mess -- they gloss over the fact he left the team in a lurch at the most inopportune time.   IMO he made the job all the more difficult for everyone he left behind.

I don't know what happened, I don't know what all he was dealing with -- you don't either so comments like "its pretty clear" are anything but clear..   I know I've stuck things out I didn't care for out of respect for others around me or who were dependent on me.  Jerry made his decision, he doesn't really need to defend it, I don't have to particularly like it.  If you believe that means I'm a prick, I'm cool with it.

Edited by Inside Pitch

If you believe this team's roster as it was on the day he resigned was complete then fine, he had nothing left to do...   I don't share that opinion.   Everyone gave him a free pass for taking over someone else's mess -- they gloss over the fact he left the team in a lurch at the most inopportune time.   IMO he made the job all the more difficult for everyone he left behind.

I don't know what happened, I don't know what all he was dealing with -- you don't either so comments like "its pretty clear" are anything but clear..   I know I've stuck things out I didn't care for out of respect for others around me or who were dependent on me.  Jerry made his decision, he doesn't really need to defend it, I don't have to particularly like it.  If you believe that means I'm a prick, I'm cool with it.

I agree with you, I have nothing personal against Jerry, I just find it hard to have any special fondness for walking away and leaving everyone else in a situation at a time that makes it difficult to deal with.  I will never sit around and lament the fact that he quit because of that fact alone, much less any of the other mistakes.  Quite frankly, I look forward to the new GM, whoever it is, because he/she will hopefully erase any crying over Jerry leaving.  It's always awkward dealing with an interim GM or manager because you want to believe there is a long term plan in place, and goals that the team is working toward.

Boston can, and usually does, turn bad stretches around pretty quickly.

Like the Angels, they have been hurt by some bad contracts, and Dipoto has a proven record of taking a team with too much big money on the books, and keeping them competitive..

Last season's regular season results in Anaheim would be pretty welcome in Boston.

Perfect fit for JD imo, and they (the redsox) seem to know it.

So, when they mail it in.... they basically quit.... I don't really get caught up in the money end of it, baseball and it's guaranteed contracts creates its own issues IMO. It's probably a misplaced belief on my part.... I understand baseball and sports in general is a business but I have issues with anyone who quits on a team.

I don't dislike JD because he bailed, at the end of the day it's his life... but I don't particularly care for his decision to bolt on everyone either.

The money is what a lot of the fans take issue with. If a player left, even a fairly important player, mid season for personal reasons but decided to walk away from their contact fans with have far less of a problem than someone who has a large contract who is playing poorly and who apparently does not care staying on. Fans are largely objecting to payroll headroom and roster space being wasted when a motivated young player could be given a chance instead

In Hamilton's case his mannerisms and his direct comments sent the strong impression that he did not like it Anaheim and did not particularly care about his performance. I personally got a lot more frustrated with that than say Vernon Wells who appeared to at least be attempting to do well. My disapproval of the Wells situation was almost entirely directed at Reagins/Scioscia.

Edited by ScottLux

Not sure why I'm bothering but...

If we believe the story about "analytics" and how he tried to go around Scioscia to provide such information directly to the team...

And then if we believe the story about how he was rebuffed by the team and Pujols took Scioscia's side in the dispute...

Then the conclusion would be at that point JD had become a cancer in the organization and needed to go.  And apparently he understood that.

People are "forced out" when they are no longer a fit for the organization in their current role or when their vision for the organization differs from a majority of other decision makers.

Going forward whoever hires JD as GM will need to be certain that he is a fit for their organization.

In the meantime it makes perfect sense that some team would want to utilize JD as a scout or similar role evaluating talent.

You have described a situation where Scioscia and Albert Pujols have forced a front office shake up. Whether that's true or not, it's clearly a compelling narrative that you can understand would be upsetting to people.

Edited by Jobu