• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto -- Red Sox

Unequivocally wrong. 

It's not a matter of if he could get offers to GM, it's a matter of whether or not he wants to continue his involvement with baseball as a GM, or pursue something else. 

He left the Halos because he was being shit on openly and sometimes publicly by not only the team skipper, but by the players. His leaving isn't a black eye on him, but on the Halos. A more pressing question is will the Halos be able to get a good GM again anytime soon.

Their only chance to get a good GM is if Klentak or Servais end up being good GMs.  Otherwise, no one is coming to this smashed turd.  

I actually think they are place holding Dipoto for either the GM or pres of ops spot.   Wouldn't be surprised if he had something in his contract that didn't allow him to be a gm for another team during the season.  Some sort of non-compete.  Cherington is going to get fired soon.  

Servais is as good as gone if he's not made the GM.  No way he ends up an assistant anymore.  And he hates MS.  

I could see Jerry as pres of ops and Servais being GM with Bane as the assistant GM.  

Nah, all Lackey did was help win a championship. He never talked in front of fans at pep rallies in Spring Training.

Quit with the douche bag posts. Good lord. I don't even hate Lackey but only a stubborn ass wouldn't admit that their job situations couldn't be more different.

Jerry quit and that totally sucks.  He could have stayed and for reasons that aren't completely clear, he chose not to.  I am not sure I have ever seen a general manager walk away from a playoff caliber team mid season.  Whatever was going on must have been pretty bad and clearly not reparable.  I do know that once its clear to any person that they are in a toxic situation, it's best to move on as soon as possible.  

People have mentioned that he should have stayed  He should have stuck it out till the end because that would have been the right thing to do.  I guess the obvious question is why?  

One of his supposed inferiors is treated as an equal if not a superior.  The owner of the company supports this other person and the inappropriate dynamic.  This dynamic has made is such that many of the other employees don't support or respect him.  He can't do his job the way he sees fit or the way he was initially asked and most of the people around him have taken sides against him.

So let me ask those who think he should have stayed?  Why in the blue **** would he want to help this franchise win?  The people that he'd supposedly be doing this for didn't respect or support him.  He wasn't being treated the right way so why use his expertise to help them succeed?  What did he owe them at that point.  

I think he was treading water dealing with MS and Arte thinking that it would still be great to see the look on the players faces when they won a trophy.  To celebrate together like they did last year.  Once he realized that the players didn't support him or his vision, that was the last straw.  There was nothing left for him here and so he made the most difficult choice of all the options.  He sacked up, maintained his self respect, and walked away like a man.  Any other way would actually have been easier.  

Jerry quit and that totally sucks.  He could have stayed and for reasons that aren't completely clear, he chose not to.  I am not sure I have ever seen a general manager walk away from a playoff caliber team mid season.  Whatever was going on must have been pretty bad and clearly not reparable.  I do know that once its clear to any person that they are in a toxic situation, it's best to move on as soon as possible.  

People have mentioned that he should have stayed  He should have stuck it out till the end because that would have been the right thing to do.  I guess the obvious question is why?  ...

Agreed with everything you say. If there was an irreconcilable conflict between the GM and the field manager and coaches, then walking away and letting Stoneman (who presumably has a vision more consistent with Sciosicia et al) fill in as interim is going to be far less of a distraction and better for the team short term.

It's a shame as I believed that had Dipoto been given the authority to assemble a coaching staff more receptive to contemporary analytics, the team would be far better off long term. But better for Dipoto to leave now and at least have everyone on the same page than stick around and keep the toxic dynamic going for no reason other than to not look like a "quitter". 

Edited by ScottLux

We can, and will, hire another GM. The question is, will he be allowed to be a GM?

Our next GM's job will be much different. We are saddled with the big contracts already. We need some who is creative with trades and excels at amatuer scouting.

Michael Girsch would be an upgrade over Dipoto.

Edited by Shane