• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto -- Red Sox

So if the players quit on Dipoto then isn't that a giant red flag that Dipoto was a big part of the problem? When was the last time you heard of a group of players quitting on a GM. These are guys he brought in for the most part. Look at our roster, how many predate Dipoto? Weaver and Aybar. Everyone here, myself included, believe Scioscia should adapt his style to the type of players he has. Well if Dipoto is rubbing his players the wrong way, shouldn't he adapt or change the way he's communicating? This isn't me taking Scioscia's side, because quite frankly I don't. But it certainly appears the players did. Dipoto quit while under contract, which I don't have any problem with, it's his prerogative. But he should not be allowed to hold a GM position until after next season when his contract runs out, imagine if a manager or a player did that.

When have you heard of a situation where the GM has to compete with the Manager for how the team should be run?  

Arte set the dynamic where people were essentially forced to choose.  Scioscia is a good clubhouse manager by all accounts and the players are around him 24/7.  

When the balance of power is established that the manager doesn't have to listen to the GM, then who do you think the players are going to choose?  

You are assuming an appropriate starting point and hierarchy.  There wasn't one.  There were two fiefdoms that were being run in parallel with some overlap.  It's a stupid system that is set for failure.  

Once the owner made it clear that no one had to buy what Dipoto was selling, he was done.  

I thought Jerry was doing a very good job.  Not perfect by any stretch.  I would have liked to see what he could do under different circumstances.  Yet we are not going to get to see that from any GM we hire.

I am probably more annoyed by the fact that the franchise is just being run the wrong way (my perception of course) vs. the loss of Dipoto.  

When have you heard of a situation where the GM has to compete with the Manager for how the team should be run?  

Arte set the dynamic where people were essentially forced to choose.  Scioscia is a good clubhouse manager by all accounts and the players are around him 24/7.  

When the balance of power is established that the manager doesn't have to listen to the GM, then who do you think the players are going to choose?  

You are assuming an appropriate starting point and hierarchy.  There wasn't one.  There were two fiefdoms that were being run in parallel with some overlap.  It's a stupid system that is set for failure.  

Once the owner made it clear that no one had to buy what Dipoto was selling, he was done.  

I thought Jerry was doing a very good job.  Not perfect by any stretch.  I would have liked to see what he could do under different circumstances.  Yet we are not going to get to see that from any GM we hire.

I am probably more annoyed by the fact that the franchise is just being run the wrong way (my perception of course) vs. the loss of Dipoto.  

Scioscia is not opposed to using advanced analytics. This is a personal issue between Dipoto and Scioscia stemming from Dipoto firing a member of Mike's coaching staff and him going over Mike's head to to deal with the players. They never had a good working relationship and it's not because he refused to shift as much as Dipoto had wanted.

Haha - the same Scioscia who had a man-boner for Mickey "Walks are a false stat" Hatcher - he isn't opposed to analytics?

That is correct.

It's gotten bad enough this season that Albert Pujols reportedly told Dipoto in a team meeting that "the coaches are working as hard to prepare the players as they did last season, but that the roster is not as strong as it was a year ago."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/report--tension-still-exists-between-mike-scioscia-and-angels--front-office-133844944.html

Edited by Shane

I might be wrong but there seem to be sides. Scioscia's side or Dipoto's side. Most people are sick of Scioscia so they take Jerry's side. Jerry could have signed all the worst players in the world and people would still be on his side because it was the opposing side to Scioscia. That includes me too

I might be wrong but there seem to be sides. Scioscia's side or Dipoto's side. Most people are sick of Scioscia so they take Jerry's side. Jerry could have signed all the worst players in the world and people would still be on his side because it was the opposing side to Scioscia. That includes me too

The sudden outpouring of support for Dipoto from the second he signed on I believe happened in large part because he was the first GM of the Angels after Reagins left. It's similar to how Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 for not being George W Bush.

This experiment, two assertive GMs on the same team, was doomed from the beginning. 

Things, at least in the FO, were fine as long as the GM (Stoneman/Reagan) served Scioscia.  Dipoto is a different breed.  Clash was inevitable.  Moreno sided with his 10yr contract manager (as did 10yr contract Pujols - why the hell was he involved?).  That was that.

I'm not defending Dipoto, I'd grade him a C+, but he was throttled from the beginning, up against the Scioscia regime.  It was clear Scioscia never recovered from Dipoto dumping Hatcher, stating a couple times he was past that (political speak for he wasn't).

Those hoping for an assertive, competent GM...well, which one of them will want to venture into the Scioscia-Moreno-Pujols regime?  Angels have a GM and he fills out the lineup card.     

Edited by 70runner

Seems like you have to pick your battles and JD chose badly when he decided to force the issue on the analytics thing.

I wouldn't say he chose badly, it ended up with him leaving the angels toxic situation in the middle of the season and he already has a job with another organization that wants him to be there

If anyone made a bad choice, it'd say its arte Moreno

That is correct.

It's gotten bad enough this season that Albert Pujols reportedly told Dipoto in a team meeting that "the coaches are working as hard to prepare the players as they did last season, but that the roster is not as strong as it was a year ago."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/report--tension-still-exists-between-mike-scioscia-and-angels--front-office-133844944.html

So, pujols made himself look like an ass by basically shitting on his teammates. And on top of that, he's not even correct. The roster this season is largely the same as last season.

Good stuff

So, pujols made himself look like an ass by basically shitting on his teammates. And on top of that, he's not even correct. The roster this season is largely the same as last season.

Good stuff

Hamilton? Kendrick?

Offensively we are over 20% different.  And if you look at one of our black holes LF it is directly related to Hamilton.

I wouldn't say he chose badly, it ended up with him leaving the angels toxic situation in the middle of the season and he already has a job with another organization that wants him to be there

I am sure he doesn't mind his pay decrease either......Poor Jerry

Even when he loses, he wins!

JD is god

Hamilton? Kendrick?

Offensively we are over 20% different. And if you look at one of our black holes LF it is directly related to Hamilton.

Lol at mentioning Hamilton.

Unbelievable that Jerry didn't use his crystal ball and forsee Joyce coming here and sharting his pants all year. What an idiot.

Yeah it would be nice to have Kendrick and giavotella can't sniff his jock strap, but on the other hand Heaney has been arguably the best starting pitcher this year.

Everything else is essentially the same.