• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jepsen traded to TB for Matt Joyce

nate

I've been saying for awhile I want a cheap DH bat and while $5 million + Jepsen isn't particularly cheap, I'm happy enough with it. I think the lineup needed it and the bullpen can cope with it. Let's not expect miracles from Joyce, but he's a pretty good bet for a .730-.750 OPS. He gives us that dimension that Ibanez was supposed to but obviously didn't. Even though he's a pretty bad defensive outfielder, he's not unplayable either. So when Hamilton gets his inevitable injuries, Joyce moves to the OF and Cron DHs. I like that mix.

What is there to disprove? So are you telling me Pujols gets 100+ RBI if Trout isnt hitting in front of him last season?

Maybe I'm ignorant but line up protection is having a great hitter in front of you? I don't see that being the case at all. Line up protection is having a feared hitter behind you so they have to pitch to you instead of around you.

Maybe I'm ignorant but line up protection is having a great hitter in front of you? I don't see that being the case at all. Line up protection is having a feared hitter behind you so they have to pitch to you instead of around you.

But also imagine the stress Trout gives pitchers when hes on base and Pujols at the plate.  Pujols coming up with the bases empty, or Pujols coming up with Trout on 1st, these are far different scenarios for a pitcher.  

I can't believe Finnegan's Wake was mentioned on Angelswin.com.

Anyhow, Ben Zobrist would massively improve this team. Imagine him batting second between Calhoun and Trout. Probably won't happen, though.

For those saying Dipoto "sold high," I think the reality is that he just "sold." It was a decent, even good, trade - but it isn't like Joyce is all that. Look at his actual numbers the last three years:

404 games, .243/.339/.410, 114 wRC+, 5.3 fWAR

Divide that by three and you have the definition of "decent ballplayer." Nothing wrong with that, but he's hardly a steal.

lol.. well I think even he would admit he was being ignorant when it comes to OPS+ and War.

ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

that son of a bitch. get a rope. yeah, he just didn't realize there were better stats for him to judge by. he'll be better next time, i vouch for him. he's a good egg.

I can't believe Finnegan's Wake was mentioned on Angelswin.com.

Anyhow, Ben Zobrist would massively improve this team. Imagine him batting second between Calhoun and Trout. Probably won't happen, though.

For those saying Dipoto "sold high," I think the reality is that he just "sold." It was a decent, even good, trade - but it isn't like Joyce is all that. Look at his actual numbers the last three years:

404 games, .243/.339/.410, 114 wRC+, 5.3 fWAR

Divide that by three and you have the definition of "decent ballplayer." Nothing wrong with that, but he's hardly a steal.

like dipoto has been pushing this whole offseason, "we have an average or better player at every position." now, we can include DH in that statement with some degree of confidence.

Cron had an OPS+ of 110 last season, Joyce 111. Lateral move.

post AB's multiply by two. come on now. that's weak sauce.

cron 253 plate appearances

joyce 493.

joyce ops+ against righties 119, cron against lefties 110. 

i like cron. if we use this platoon effectively we get the production of a significantly better player for a fraction of the cost.

not a bad deal.

We've gotten about all there is to get from Jepsen -- and his best was fairly average.

but he's been with us for a while........

Matt Joyce is sort of a strange pick up -- we've got plenty of OF'ers and need pitching.......but, what the heck.

Loss of Jepsen no major big deal - wish him well in new surroundings.

Another good move by DP. Absolutely needed a left hand bat. I didn't see Cron as an every day DH. Jepsen was very good last season but he hasn't been consistent in his career. He can be replaced by Morin and Pestano.

I think DP might be done now until the spring. The only moves I could see are if some sucker wants to take Josh and absorb a chunk of his salary. Same for CJ.