• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jepsen traded to TB for Matt Joyce

nate

I can already hear Angel fans complaining that Scioscia won't bat Joyce against lefties...

no, it's going to be the exact opposite. we'll be flipping our lids when scioscia keeps putting him in against those lefties, despite his complete lack of ability to hit them.

if we use him right, he'll be a valuable asset most days of the week.

As just a baseball fan, I think the Angels got a bit screwed on this trade.

Sure, you can say they 'sold high' on Jepsen...but Joyce's hitting numbers have gone down each of the last FOUR years (total and against rhp) and are not in favor of going up being taken out of the AL East which is basically a hitters haven.

MAYBE not being on turf will help him out some..but I don't think it was worth it.

Sure, you can say they 'sold high' on Jepsen...but Joyce's hitting numbers have gone down each of the last FOUR years (total and against rhp) and are not in favor of going up being taken out of the AL East which is basically a hitters haven.

MAYBE not being on turf will help him out some..but I don't think it was worth it.

He had a .758 OPS against righties last season.  Which is still pretty decent, considering we got him only to face RHP.  But I think playing in a better lineup will lead to better numbers for him.  If he hits anywhere near Trout like some people are saying, that could do wonders for his OBP.

Matt Joyce hasn't really declined.

His OPS+ over the last three years has been

115, 108, 111(2014)

His fwar over the last three years has been

1.7, 1.7 and 1.9(2014)

Sounds like a great deal getting him for a guy who's only had one good season. The Angels also have a lot of depth this year for relief pitchers.

I'm excited to see what Alvarez and Bedrosian can do with real opportunities next year.

Edited by Poozy

What is there to disprove?  So are you telling me Pujols gets 100+ RBI if Trout isnt hitting in front of him last season?

RBIs isn't an individual stat. It's a team stat.

Just like Pitcher Wins is.

Edit: Damn Eaterfan beat me to it.

Edited by Poozy

Matt Joyce hasn't really declined.

His OPS+ over the last three years has been

115, 108, 111(2014)

His fwar over the last three years has been

1.7, 1.7 and 1.9(2014)

Sounds like a great deal to getting him for a guy who's only had one good season. The Angels also have a lot of depth this year for relief pitchers.

I'm excited to see what Alvarez and Bedrosian can do with real opportunities next year.

So, ops+ and fwar are more reliable than ops and war because I really don't know.

That's not individual production. Pujols could hit the exact same in back to back seasons and he would get more RBI if he had better teammates. The concept of protection means that individual players get better because the hitters behind them cause pitchers to pitch differently to the first hitter.

I think playing in better lineups can help a hitter out a lot.  If a pitcher is cruising through a lineup like Tampa Bay he wont worry so much about a guy like Joyce.  But you put him in a better lineup, where the pitcher has to work to get outs and gives up more baserunners, Joyce will have more opportunities to succeed.  Im not sure what stats you could throw at me to disprove something like this.